Musicmagpie.co.uk is lying to me!

Options
dllive
dllive Posts: 1,225 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
Hi

I had a perfectly god phone that I wanted to sell. I sent it to musicmagpie.co.uk. Ive just had an email saying that theres liquid damage on the screen and they will only offer me £3!!!

I know the phone was perfectly fine - there was nothing wrong with the screen (no white dots/no dead pixels etc...).

Is this what they do? Has anyone else had experience with them? Ive sold a few old mobiles with mazuma etc and never had any problems.

Thanks

Comments

• dllive
    Options
    Ah ok - looks like theyre known con artsts: https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/musicmagpie.co.uk
  • JasonHand
    JasonHand Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used them a couple of times and I didn't have a problem. One however was for a totally broken item. But the other was working fine and they paid out what they said they would.

Obviously you can decline their offer and they will return the phone to you. So you could stick it on eBay when you get it back.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How was it packaged?

Bubble wrap or something else suitable.
  • dllive
    Options
    Yes - completely bubbled wrapped and even in the leather case that I bought for it.

Ive been reading up on these shysters. Seems that theyve worked out the critical probablity of 'declining' products so that it seems theyre not doing anything unscrupulous but also means theyre massively profiting from it.

Ive also read up people's reviews that - even after declining - you either never get the product back or you have to hassle them constantly to return it.

Eitherway - VERY underhanded!! :( Is there a body I can complain about them to?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    dllive wrote: »
    Ive been reading up on these shysters. Seems that theyve worked out the critical probablity of 'declining' products so that it seems theyre not doing anything unscrupulous but also means theyre massively profiting from it.

Ive also read up people's reviews that - even after declining - you either never get the product back or you have to hassle them constantly to return it.

Eitherway - VERY underhanded!! :( Is there a body I can complain about them to?
    With hindsight, maybe you should've done this earlier?
    Lesson learnt?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've only used them twice to offload a few hundred dvds a few years back. Everything went fine. When it comes to sellin old phones, I tend to use ebay as I strangely enjoy watching the bidding war in the last few minutes of the auction.

They should promptly send the phone back to you free of charge though. Then just whack it up on ebay

Edit - would this fall under a Trading Standards issue? Not sure, but worth looking into
  • dllive
    Options
    Matty36 wrote: »
    I've only used them twice to offload a few hundred dvds a few years back. Everything went fine. When it comes to sellin old phones, I tend to use ebay as I strangely enjoy watching the bidding war in the last few minutes of the auction.

They should promptly send the phone back to you free of charge though. Then just whack it up on ebay

Thanks Matty. I think Ill do that! :)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dllive wrote: »
    Yes - completely bubbled wrapped and even in the leather case that I bought for it.

Did you then box it, or just post the bubble wrapped phone in a Jiffy bag?
    ====
  • dllive
    Options
    OK, just got my phone returned back to me. Ive started up the phone and the display is completely fine. No sign of "liquid damage" or dead pixels or anything. Chancers/scammers. Im going to use Mazuma instead now.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    glad it is back in one piece
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business