Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2019 Grocery Challenge - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

May 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 18 April 2019 at 9:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
182 replies 19.8K views

Replies

• I've spent £0.23/£20 so far this month.

I bought reduced loaf of sliced bread which I've frozen.

There's 18 slices so comes to less than 1.5p per slice.
  • tighteningthebelttighteningthebelt Forumite
    502 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone I'm new to the forums. Let's get started right away. Please put me down for £20 this month.

Ooooh, ambitious!! Welcome and good luck.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • LauralozzleLauralozzle Forumite
    685 posts
    Needed eggs and salad bits for packup tomorrow. Lost my receipt, but was under £5.00 so I'm claiming that until I see the transaction on my bank app!

So, £5.00/£300.00 for now....
    Grocery Budget: £52.23/300.00 | NSD: 5/16 |
    Car Finance: £4,682 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £108,097.94 (2.79% APR) |
  • Thanks I have lots of old beans, pulses and grains in the back of cupboards so I'm going to work through those. I also have lots of 1/4 filled bags of frozen veggies shoved in the back of the freezer. Also lots of fresh young nettles in the garden so I made a big batch of nettle soup and used rice in it to add in the calories. Got a poly tunnel and stuff growing but nothing edible yet. :rotfl:

£0.23/£20 Hopefully I just worked out how to make things bigger and different colour.
  • little_puplittle_pup Forumite
    7 posts
    Hi I’d like to join if it’s not too late! My first time doing a grocery challenge.
    Can you put me down for £150 for May? This is for just me, I’m hoping to come in well below this.

So far spent:
    - £30 Morrison’s main weekly shop including 3 for £10 meats (whole chicken, 500g lean mince, 500g lamb mince), 2 packs of heck sausages for £4 and fruits (berries) and veg, plus some extras like flavoured water.
    - Tesco £6: 2 packs of strawberries and 2 blueberries
    - Lidl £10: more veg, cans of diced tomato, grated cheese, Doritos (oops!), plus a lovely low calorie ice cream for £2.49 called Graham’s Goodness white choc and raspberry (so creamy!)

This is loads of food for me, I did a roast chicken with potatoes and carrots and divided that up into 4 meals. Tonight I made moussaka and that’s about 4 meals and then I’m doing shepherds pie when I get time (another 4 meals).

My plan is to “swap” meals with my boyfriend. E.g. I ate a portion of his bolognese pasta for lunch so I’ll give him a portion of my moussaka. We’re on totally different budgets & he eats loads more than me so doing a shared weekly shop wouldn’t work but I think this is a good way to share food for us :)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • BrassicWomanBrassicWoman Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    £5 on way home for insta-dinner :) Was very late finish at work so that or pizza delivery... I'm viewing it as "saved £15"...
    GC Nov 20 £51.16/£100
  • tighteningthebelttighteningthebelt Forumite
    502 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi and welcome little pup
    Seems you are off to a flying start with your prepping skills!
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • FoxFaceFoxFace Forumite
    325 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    £26.77p spent last night on shopping to last us until Saturday, when I can go and actually stock up. Need to be a bit more organised.
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • edited 24 May 2019 at 10:57AM
    elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 May 2019 at 10:57AM
    Bit of a false positive for me so far... I've not been very good this week and bought quite a lot of treaty items and snacky foods, which I've used my "spending money" for and not taken from the GC. Hey ho. Made a lovely red lentil and vegetable stew for tea last night and have another one for tonight plus a third leftover. Proper healthy comfort food, all thick and delightful :D

The 2 t3sc0 shops were first for salad things and fruit and tea and tofu, and the second was kitchen roll but then I found the Qu0rn vegan breaded 5 grain fillets reduced so bought all 4 and froze them. Hence spending £8 something instead of like a quid!!
    Then my Ald1 shop was just a load of fresh veg as I realised I hadn't shopped properly really. I'm good now for the rest of the week and actually shouldn't even need anything extra over the weekend so I'm calling my week1 budget. Week 2 begins on Sunday. I'm being taken out for brunch at a really funky place I love as a late birthday present from a friend, so that'll be nice!

Did my big stock up shop - planned £40 but came out at £45.38 so adjusting budgets slightly to cover this.

..............................£200 Budget
    Date......Shop......Amount....Remaining
    26 Apr....T3sc0.....£02.10....£197.90...(WEEK 1)
    27 Apr....T3sc0.....£45.38....£152.52...(STOCK)
    27 Apr....T3sc0.....£16.07....£136.45...(WEEK 1)
    29 Apr....T3sc0.....£08.18....£128.27...(WEEK 1)
    30 Apr....A1d!......£08.98....£119.29...(WEEK 1)

Week......Budget....Spent.....Remaining
    WEEK 1....£90.00color=white].....
    £34.31....£55.69
    WEEK 2....£40.00.....£00.00....£40.00
    WEEK 3....£40.00.....£00.00....£40.00
    WEEK 4....£40.00.....£00.00....£40.00
    [/COLOR]

I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks I have lots of old beans, pulses and grains in the back of cupboards so I'm going to work through those. I also have lots of 1/4 filled bags of frozen veggies shoved in the back of the freezer. Also lots of fresh young nettles in the garden so I made a big batch of nettle soup and used rice in it to add in the calories. Got a poly tunnel and stuff growing but nothing edible yet. :rotfl:

£0.23/£20 Hopefully I just worked out how to make things bigger and different colour.

Welcome! You might want to take a look and join in over here - on the growing your own thread or here on the "eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge". And there is a new food waste diary over here.

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman