New Post Advanced Search

Fine for entering wrong vehicle reg

242 replies 9K views

Replies

• Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    86.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect, that timeline works and makes you much more informed for POPLA. It also gives you weeks of wriggle room if OPS refuse to provide the machine data of your VRN/near miss VRN first time, you'd be pinging back an email to demand it then complaining to Steve Clark at the BPA...and still with time for POPLA!

Not if you appealed straight away, you'd run out of POPLA time.

Bear in mind the BPA said a 'minor keypad error' should NOT be enforced, so that's why you need to see a 'near miss' VRN and are entitled to it as it's clearly the only near match for your car.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • familyguy321familyguy321 Forumite
    192 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Perfect, that timeline works and makes you much more informed for POPLA. It also gives you weeks of wriggle room if OPS refuse to provide the machine data of your VRN/near miss VRN first time, you'd be pinging back an email to demand it then complaining to Steve Clark at the BPA...and still with time for POPLA!

Not if you appealed straight away, you'd run out of POPLA time.

Bear in mind the BPA said a 'minor keypad error' should NOT be enforced, so that's why you need to see a 'near miss' VRN and are entitled to it as it's clearly the only near match for your car.

Thanks. Do you have a link or proof of where BPA have said this? May be useful to bring up later depending on how this goes.
  • edited 5 April 2019 at 5:39PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    29.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2019 at 5:39PM
    3. Day 26: submit appeal via email to OPS

only do this IF they allow an appeal by email

the paperwork from them should tell you what format of appeal they accept, some only allow online submissions on their website for example, or by post , not by email

so only appeal by email if they allow appeals by email

the SAR request is normally emailed direct to the DPO at the company in question
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    86.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a link or proof of where BPA have said this?
    It's reported in the easy to Google POPLA Annual Report 2018.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    192 posts
    Redx wrote: »
    only do this IF they allow an appeal by email

the paperwork from them should tell you what format of appeal they accepts, some only allow online submissions on their website for example, or by post , not by email

so only appeal by email if they allow appeals by email

the SAR request is normally emailed direct to the DPO at the company in qiestion

Hi Redx,

I've just double checked the PCN and they do allow appeal by email. Website and postal are other methods allowed.

FG
    192 posts
    I have attached images below of the signs in the car park, however I have a small problem that may reduce chances of successfully appealing. The driver doesn't remember what they exactly entered on the parking machine so it is going to be difficult to match payment to the ANPR records.

What's the likelihood that PCN can get cancelled based on any irregularities on the signs or will it be more hassle than paying the £60 reduced charge (tomorrow will be 14 days since NtK date)?

I'm really confused on what to do!

FG

Outside Entrance:
    esoxet.jpg

Inside Entrance:
    33542tf.jpg

PDT Machine:
    103u4nm.jpg

OPS T&Cs:
    xft21j.jpg

ANPR sign:
    sggvo0.jpg
  • I am going though the same situation at Whiteley Shopping Centre from CP Plus. I parked, paid £2 for extra 2 hours using a similar machine, got a receipt giving me 6 hours and left.
    Two weeks later a PCN saying I had exceeded my parking and the total time was 6 hrs and 3mins. I looked for the receipt but by then it had got lost. I appealed, it got rejected. I went to POPLA. CP Plus sent them the wrong data from the wrong machine so POPLA rejected my appeal. I responded to POPLA but to no avail. So now 28 days after the rejection the charge has gone from £100 to £140.

I have requested a SAR and wait to see what comes back. I am not paying them a penny.

I wish I had read more before I appealed but I was angry more than anything as I did everything by the book

Good luck
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As your situation is completely different to this thread's OP (different location, different PPC), please start your own new thread ... IF you still need advice after reading the NEWBIES sticky thread.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    192 posts
    Can anyone advise if it's still worth appealing this PCN? The driver definitely paid to park for 1 hour but cannot remember what they entered on the machine.

Is there anything on the car park signs that are grounds for appeal?

Today is the last day for paying the reduced charge of £60.

FG
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is always worth appealing, it may save you money, and it will cost them money. They have so many hoops to jump through that is likely that they will fail one. Besides the Law is on their tail.

Get your MP on board, they are totally on your side.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.