Nationwide Select CC

Options
I am trying to find some info regarding this CC and as per usual I can't!

I currently have a 0% BT on my Nationwide Select. I had hoped to have it paid off before I go on holiday later this year. Due to some unexpected bills this is not now going to be the case, I will have about 500 left owing on the BT.

I am sure I read somewhere that you can still use the card for spending without it affecting any promotional rates you have running as long as the spending each month is repaid in full.

Can anyone confirm that is the case?

So if I owe 500 on my BT and spend 100 in purchases abroad, I can repay the 100 in full plus an amount off the BT and I do not lose the 0% rate on the BT?
Thanks

Comments

• Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Whilst it isn't generally recommended that you mix BTs and new spending, I think there are a couple of card providers where it is not an issue.

First thing to note is that you will not lose the 0% deal just because you spend on the card. The danger is that your additional spending may incur interest on its value for the time between purchase and full payment of such new spending (plus a bit of trailing interest the following month).

I believe that Barclaycard (and, according to another recent thread on here, Nationwide) keep promotional balances and new spending separate, such that as long as you fully clear the new spending (after it has been statemented) and also meet the minimum payment request, you will not incur any interest on that new spending.

My only caveats in posting this are that I have not put it to the test with either issuer, Barclaycard did tell me twice that this is what they do (via their 'chat' function) and the Nationwide information came from another contributor to this forum.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Thanks for finding that Dobbibill.

It does indeed confirm that Nationwide will not charge interest if you have new spending and clear it after statementing and before the payment due date, regardless of any promotional balance you may be carrying over from one billing cycle to the next.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    That is useful information thanks and maybe worth pointing out for others who read this read that in general that is not the way some other credit cards work...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure