Talk Talk Renewing Contract Without Knowledge

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm asking this on behalf of my my Mum. She had been with Talk talk for well over 12 years and decided to change providers recently. Talk talk then sent her a letter saying that she needed to pay £100 exit fee as she was still in contract. My mum has no knowledge of ever renewing a contract with them and I have tried to argue this with them and am getting no where.

I know my other half successfully made BT put us on a rolling monthly contract when they renewed our contract when we changed our address but is there anything I can do here? I thought about complaining to the ombudsman but they won't take the case on because Talk Talk are not signed up to their service.

Thank you :beer:

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2019 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Has your mum asked them for more details - what contract, when, and how it was entered?
    Talktalk did used to phone up when I was with them, so is it possible mum has agreed to something on the phone? Because if she hadn't then it wouid automatically be a rolling contract.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contract if not renewed would have moved to an expensive 30 day rolling contract . That is after the initial contract term ended .
    Should be able to determine that from past bills / emails .
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi evil jane,

I'm sorry to read about the unexpected charge, we wouldn't be able to renew the contract without permission but if you drop my team a line directly over Twitter (@TalkTalk) or post on our Online Community, we can investigate what's happened for your mum.

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • evil_jane
    evil_jane Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    TalkTalk wrote: »
    Hi evil jane,

I'm sorry to read about the unexpected charge, we wouldn't be able to renew the contract without permission but if you drop my team a line directly over Twitter (@TalkTalk) or post on our Online Community, we can investigate what's happened for your mum.

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team

I'm sorry but this has been going on since January. My mum has had letter after letter from you which has been no help at all to the situation, I have written several on her behalf and each time she is fobbed off by another letter asking for more security details (because the account is held in my dad's name even though my mum was paying for it) or to fill out another form, your call centre staff have also been no help. Why should I have to ask you on twitter when I can't even get a simple answer to her questions over the phone or by letter?
  • evil_jane
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Has your mum asked them for more details - what contract, when, and how it was entered?
    Talktalk did used to phone up when I was with them, so is it possible mum has agreed to something on the phone? Because if she hadn't then it wouid automatically be a rolling contract.
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Contract if not renewed would have moved to an expensive 30 day rolling contract . That is after the initial contract term ended .
    Should be able to determine that from past bills / emails .

That's exactly what I thought. I will speak to my mum about it, but have found no evidence to suggest that the contract was renewed. I have asked for details from talk talk but they will not give us any information either. It's a simple request and I'm being fobbed off with one letter after another asking for more details etc.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    If the account is not in your mum's name then the account holder must provide the account security details and give permission for your mum to make changes to the account.

Data protection regulations are much more strict now, so you won't be told anything unless the account holder agrees.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the account is not in your mum's name then the account holder must provide the account security details and give permission for your mum to make changes to the account.

Data protection regulations are much more strict now, so you won't be told anything unless the account holder agrees.

Exactly right, GPDR is very strict and presuming the father is still with us it is him that must contact them, if he's passed on then they need to communicate that fact to TalkTalk. It's pointless getting frustrated with them as the customers would really have cause to complain if an unauthorised person was allowed access to the account.

At work we now have to ask explicit permission from the account holder just to enter the account and to use their personal details before even asking their name.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems strange that they want security details of the contract holder - father - but would be willing to terminate it for a £100 payment made by someone who is not said account holder, presumably without having to supply the required security details?

If father is sadly deceased, try stopping the payments - that should get their attention and stop the service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Seems strange that they want security details of the contract holder - father - but would be willing to terminate it for a £100 payment made by someone who is not said account holder, presumably without having to supply the required security details?

If father is sadly deceased, try stopping the payments - that should get their attention and stop the service.

Idiotic suggestion as ever, as that will stop her phone line & broadband (losing her phone number) and possibly make it very hard for them to get reconnected.

The termination fee may have just been a general observation which they're allowed to make.
  • evil_jane
    Options

This has not been explained to me or my mum the whole time we have been in communication with them. I helped my mum write a letter to talk talk as my Dad was in hospital at the time and was unable to give permission. My Dad doesn't even know what the security details are either. I ended up having to send a copy of a bank statement of the account which is in my mum's name that paid for the service and still they will not talk to her about the issue.

I have never seen so much faff over a simple question, my mum was questioning the bill that talk talk issued them, she was not asking to change the service or anything like that and yet they still will not communicate with her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure