IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking eye, POPLA appeal rejected, next??

Options
Hi. I got a PCN at a hospital with Parking Eye. I have appealed via the official route POPLA , and even though I gave evidence with a letter from the doctor that my appointment overran, and so I was 20/25 mins later than what I had paid for it has been rejected. I have had the debt collection calls and texts now to pay the full amount of £100. I spoke to the CAB and parking ticket tribunal people who said it's now up to me as if I don't pay they will take me to court . If I loose I could get a CCJ plus have to pay the fine, plus court costs plus daily interest charges on the overdue fine ! I read on one of the threads if I do get a LBC (not sure exactly the meaning ..I think 'letter before Court' ?) If I pay up I won't get the CCJ, but is that only if I don't follow up and go to court...ie before they summon me to court? But would they still pursue me for the full fine plus interest on it?
I do feel it is unfair as this was a mental health therapy appointment and I was in a session and couldn't just add payment mid way through! Please let me know best course of action. I have about 5 days left to pay the full fine before next steps. Thanks !

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to go to the PALS at the hospital and ask them to sort it for you, especially as the hospital was responsible for the overrun. Also read the NEWBIE thread to disabuse yourself of some of the awful things that might (not) happen to you if you don't pay their speculative invoice. Acronyms are explained in NEWBIES post # 5.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you contact PALS be sure to refer to the "NHS patient, visitor and staff car parking principles" especially the sentence
    Additional charges should only be imposed where reasonable and should be waived when overstaying is beyond the driver’s control (eg when treatment takes longer than planned, or when staff are required to work beyond their scheduled shift).
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Elena196 wrote: »
    Hi. I got a PCN at a hospital with Parking Eye. I have appealed via the official route POPLA , and even though I gave evidence with a letter from the doctor that my appointment overran, and so I was 20/25 mins later than what I had paid for it has been rejected. I have had the debt collection calls and texts now to pay the full amount of £100. I spoke to the CAB and parking ticket tribunal people who said it's now up to me as if I don't pay they will take me to court . If I loose I could get a CCJ plus have to pay the fine, plus court costs plus daily interest charges on the overdue fine ! I read on one of the threads if I do get a LBC (not sure exactly the meaning ..I think 'letter before Court' ?) If I pay up I won't get the CCJ, but is that only if I don't follow up and go to court...ie before they summon me to court? But would they still pursue me for the full fine plus interest on it?
    I do feel it is unfair as this was a mental health therapy appointment and I was in a session and couldn't just add payment mid way through! Please let me know best course of action. I have about 5 days left to pay the full fine before next steps. Thanks !

Don't be too concerned, POPLA is a complete dinosaur with assessors that resemble childrens hour.
    PLUS, they seem to be very good friends with Parking Eye

The CAB do not have a clue about the parking scam so do not waste your time with them.

Just ignore moron debt collecors, they are simply money scamming idiots
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74439905#post74439905

You need a letter from the medical person you saw explaining the situation. Put pressure on PALS to get this cancelled

If Parking Eye take you to court, then proof of the episode should persuade the judge that PE are being unreasonable with their claim
    On that basis you will be able to claim your costs against them.

READ THIS ABOUT A CCJ ......
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5849106&highlight=ccj+the+myth
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is a travesty, these scammers have no place in hospital car parks, complain to your MP and the MP in the constituency where the hospital is situated.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem become so widespread that MPs agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. It has cleared Parliament and hopefully, this will become law shortly.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Elena196
    Elena196 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks I read the info on PALS on the government website bit cannot see a way to contact them or how they can help, especially as my time before my fine is 'overdue' the 28 days to pay is up. Do I call the hospital, I don't expect they would be the right people to contact ? Not sure...how do I go about getting the NHS to help? Thanks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    If this ever gets to court, PE's signage often leaves much to be desired, read this thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Elena196
    Elena196 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    As this letter was already sent to POPLA do you think best I just wait to be summoned to court? Looks like If I lose in court I'll be given 28days to pay anyway but that's if I can get the time off work to attend as well! If I did lose they could (Parking Eye) claim court costs and interest on the unpaid fine after the 28 days has passed?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Elena196 wrote: »
    Thanks I read the info on PALS on the government website bit cannot see a way to contact them or how they can help, especially as my time before my fine is 'overdue' the 28 days to pay is up. Do I call the hospital, I don't expect they would be the right people to contact ? Not sure...how do I go about getting the NHS to help? Thanks

Just phone the hospital and ask to be put through to the Patient Advice and Liason Service (PALS) after which you'll either hear a ringing tone, or you'll be given an alternative number to call.

Have a pencil and paper handy to write down any number they might give you.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Just phone the hospital and ask to be put through to the Patient Advice and Liason Service (PALS) after which you'll either hear a ringing tone, or you'll be given an alternative number to call.

Have a pencil and paper handy to write down any number they might give you.

You should be able to contact them by email. Tell them it is an official complaint as in the NHS complaints are taken very seriously. Parking Eye are the agents of the Trust & must cancel this charge if their principal (the Trust) orders them to.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Which hospital?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts