IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Parking Eye Signs, Oxford Road, Reading

The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
16.8K Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
I have just returned from a trip to a local shopping Centre. Parking Eye has very recently been brought in to scam the motorists.

The signage is unfit for purpose imo. The minimum height is seven feet off the ground, and the T&C runs into over a hundred words in very small print. I have 20/20 vision, and I struggled.

How on earth can this sign form a contract? I wonder if they obtained the requisite permissions, I shall have to enquire.
You never know how far you can go until you go too far.

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    35.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they obtained the requisite permissions, I shall have to enquire.
    It's their MO to ignore following such niceties as planning permission and/or advertising consent as going through the processes involved does get in the way of immediate harvesting of penalties. Then if no one raises the permission/consent issues, they don't bother. I bet there's a huge number of sites across the country without such consents. And lack of advertising consent for signage over 0.3 sq m is a criminal issue.
    I shall have to enquire
    If any man can, you can TD. I'm sure you'll be deploying your very best FO style letter. Make the pips squeak.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Deep wrote: »
    The signage is unfit for purpose imo. The minimum height is seven feet off the ground, and the T&C runs into over a hundred words in very small print.

Sounds like the PE signs in our local Aldi car park.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll be deploying your very best FO style letter.

I had to double-take that before I realised you meant Foreign Office. :D
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    35.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoaM wrote: »
    I had to double-take that before I realised you meant Foreign Office. :D

:rotfl: Take it whichever way! :rotfl:

I can be subtle when I want to be! :D
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    But the signage will have been approved by the BPA!:(
  • edited 3 March 2019 at 11:49AM
    The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 March 2019 at 11:49AM
    One has sent a beautifully crafted letter.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went back there yesterday. There are eleven lines of print, each with an average 27 words per line.

Almost 300 words of guff to read before you park, unreasonable terms and conditions in a consumer contract imo.
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went back there yesterday. There are eleven lines of print, each with an average 27 words per line.

Almost 300 words of guff to read before you park, unreasonable terms and conditions in a consumer contract imo.

Sir Deep, where is this new sewer, my beamer is busting to have a look. Going to the dump later so not far away
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

You're lucky it's legible, I could show you a car where my wife has to park, (one cancelled ticket by UKPC) thats signs are so faded, that you can't read most of them, and the entrance signs are turned in so you don't see them.

I have on a number of occasions stopped pensioners parking there as they just don't get that it's staff only.

But UKPC just like Parking Eye will say they are audited annually by the BPA, but the BPA are incompetent and complicit, and I believe no one audits actual sites for non compliance, that should be an annual and independent audit !
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BPA audit photos of the signs ... which the PPC provides to them. Of course the PPC provides genuine copies of the actual site photos .............. ;)