Forum Home» Going Out Deals

Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Going Out Deals
50 replies 29.2K views

Replies

• Abbafan1972Abbafan1972 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Mom always used to order a child size meal for my Nan, as she was such a slow eater and could never eat an adult sized one anyway. The rest of us were full paying adults. I don't think she ever had a problem.
    Winging it since 1972

• General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    andygb wrote: »
    Years ago, I had my last meal at Pizza Hut.
    My wife and I went in and I wasn't feeling that well so ordered a side dish of salad, whilst she had a pizza. We both had diet Cokes.
    About midway into the meal, she asked me if I wanted to try a bit of her pizza and she passed a piece over to me.
    Within seconds the waiter pounced on us, saying that we couldn't do that because I hadn't ordered it, and if I did it again he would ask us to leave.
    I simply said OK and said that I was leaving, and we left having eaten half the food but didn't pay.
    I saw no reason why they should have the right to throw someone out for that and then expect them to pay in full for a meal.

Did they think it wasn't "her" pizza (as in an item specifically ordered for her) but that she was having pizza as part of the "buffet"? If the latter, then I can understand (but they should have said you would have to pay the buffet price too) but if it was her simply sharing (however much or little) of a pizza then clearly that should not have happened.
  • jjhdeejjhdee Forumite
    65 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    We had a friend who opted for kids meals because she does not have the appetite for a normal sized one, and it was a tad cheaper too. Never had a problem with it personally but not all restaurants may want to.
  • dobbiesloandobbiesloan Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my Morrison's cafe you can get a main and a drink after 3pm for £5:75. or 2 for £11:50. However they have a deal for 4, 2 adult mains and 2 drinks + 2 kids meals and 2 drinks for £10:00. So my friend and I ordered the £10:00 deal. When the food arrived at the table we were asked where the other 2 were. I told them that there were only us two. I was told we were not allowed to do that so I said they were on their way and if they did not arrive in time then we would eat it for them. They were not happy about it.
    GONE ENGLAND
  • AndyCFAndyCF Forumite
    737 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Their portion sizes often suit me better, and sometimes are still too large - especially kids' packed lunch options!

I found this (at the local chip shop actually but same principle) in that what was aimed as a junior type meal deal thing was just about ideal for me with a mini-fish + a very small portion of chips and a pot of gravy or curry. Although the price difference was like £5 vs £8 (ish) I think for the full size fish and mix etc, I could not eat it all. :)

They never said anything, actually the first time I asked for a mini fish the lady said there was that meal offer on! So it was not like I demanded it to start with.

I've not had one for about a year now thinking about it, and it was only a once every two-three weeks treat for myself really given the highish cost.

Summary is as others have said I don't think there's anything cheeky in trying to order a junior meal or whatever for yourself unless its stated its for under 12's or whatever and/or has to be purchased with an adult meal etc, regardless of outlet. Ultimately they want you to buy "something" :D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • AskalabaAskalaba Forumite
    61 posts
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    My partner tried to order a kids meal and was told she couldn't because she was over 18 :D
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way :j
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    53K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    8 of us stopped for breakfast on the way to the airport, and I found myself 6th in the queue. The first 5 ordered a Big Breakfast:
    2xBacon, 2xEgg, Sausage, Mushroom, Tomato, Beans, Hash Brown, Fried Bread, 2xToast
    Kids Breakfasts were exactly half the price, so the last 3 of us each ordered two Kids Breakfasts:
    1xBacon, 1xEgg, Sausage, Mushroom, Tomato OR Beans, Hash Brown, Fried Bread, 1xToast
    The staff didn't mind, but the 5 with a Big Breakfast weren't that happy ;)

• If a restaurant refuses just leave. It's there loss.
  • It's stupid not to let people order from kids menu, why would they care, I do what I want, lol
  • no problem with Macdonlads ordered kids meals but said we didnt want the toys - (pretty skint at the time)