Forum Home» Going Out Deals

Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Going Out Deals
50 replies 28.9K views
SamOli94SamOli94 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Going Out Deals
Is it okay to order a kids meal at a restaurant if you're a fully-grown adult? Some restaurants don't let you, is there a reason behind this?

Replies

• edited 12 March 2019 at 1:15PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2019 at 1:15PM
    Probably because the children are accompanied by at least one adult, who will pay the full whack.

That said, Mr S and I can't manage a full panini and salad etc each for lunch - so we order one and ask for two plates. Never been refused yet.
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SamOli94 wrote: »
    Is it okay to order a kids meal at a restaurant if you're a fully-grown adult? Some restaurants don't let you, is there a reason behind this?

It's a commercial decision by the restaurant.

They're essentially offering a cheaper deal for children, just like many attractions, buses, trains etc offer cheaper tickets for children than for adults.

(Providing a kid's meal will cost almost the same as providing an adult meal - the time spent cooking it, serving it etc. And a child will take up the same amount of restaurant seating space as an adult.

So the restaurant is essentially offering a special discount for children, and they may not want to offer the same discount to adults.)
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had fast food kids meals. There was 1 time my 10yo had an adult meal and I had the kids meal. I felt really embarrassed eating it though when the waitress came over I said she didn't like it so we swapped! I do get kids desserts though. They're exactly the same but cheaper.
  • I've been known to eat a Happy Meal as a grown adult! However as others have said, it's usually that the cost of a child's meal is set at a concessionary rate in some restaurants and is therefore not extended to adults as a general rule.
  • Peter999_2Peter999_2 Forumite
    681 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Ricky Gervais covers this in after life. It's quite funny.
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IME, many places will do a smaller portion at a smaller price if you ask.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    pogofish wrote: »
    IME, many places will do a smaller portion at a smaller price if you ask.

Or have a starter instead. Some starters are so big, I'd never be able to eat one and a main meal.
  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of places around here offer pensioners portions, half portions or box the rest of your meal up to take home

I often order pensioner meals even though Im somewhere off it yet as I don't want a huge meal and I hate food waste
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if you sit on the little kiddies' chairs.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My mate does this all the time in all sorts of places and I don't think anywhere has said no when I've been there.