Recommend me a vacuum cleaner

Options
Time for a new vacuum cleaner was thinking this is going cost a lot but after a bit of googling I realised there are some very good budget cleaners for under £100 quid

I don't have the biggest of houses so I don't really need a top of the range £400 Dyson rollerball or whatever so can anybody recommend me a sub £100 cleaner

My main requirements are suction, suction and suction the more the better, isn't that the point, it's amazing how many reviews say that a certain vacuums suction isnt great.
Weight is the next consideration, my partner is disabled so it helps enormously if it's light, and also my current cleaner is built like a tank and it's a nightmare doing the stairs.
A long flex would be good as the above stairs cleaning has to currently be done in to parts to access upstairs and downstairs plugs.
A hose is essential for those nooks and crannies but they all have those, don't they?
And finally, I've seen the models that split into two and a smaller vacuum pops out, that would be fantastic for lightness and stair cleaning.

What I don't need is a whole range of gimmicks, attachments, brush bars, pet hair cleaners and the like, I'm sure they are great for specific purposes but a good general all round cleaner would be fine.

I'm having a good old look around and there is so much choice it's a little bit bewildering with contrasting reviews in some cases, so if anyone has found a gem and can recommend that would be lovely! And any good deals wouldn't go amiss either. :)

Thanks

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,002 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought a Vax U84-AL-PME Air Lift Steerable Pet Max Upright Vacuum Cleaner refurbished from Direct Vacuums on Ebay two years ago, under £100 and was as new. It is great plenty of suction easy to empty etc.
  • AJGuy
    AJGuy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Dyson v7 and it’s great but I must admit the price is on the higher end for what it is. I had a Vax U84 which came with 2 batteries and was around the £125 mark and had a 3 year warranty... it was a great hoover but the OH broke it ��!♂️. There’s also a cordless Henry which is the king of sunction and reliability but it’s on the heavy side and awkward to carry around the house, the price fluctuates around the £180 mark.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2019 at 4:59PM
    Options
    The Which? Best Buy vacuum cleaners are all pricey brands (Dyson and Miele) except one: Shark Lift-Away NV601UKT (overall score 77%, ~£160). I mention it because it seems to tick your boxes, and you might find a good deal/ refurbished one.

Which say "It's a bagless upright vacuum cleaner from Shark which also has a lift-away canister that makes it easier to clean the stairs and other difficult-to-reach places.

It weighs 6.6kg, which is relatively light for an upright vacuum. It has an average 2.3 litre dust capacity and its overall reach from plug to floorhead is a modest 8.4 metres.

With this pet version you get a motorised upholstery tool, along with the standard crevice and upholstery tool ...

It's also good at deep cleaning carpets, and it's effective in crevices too, so a good choice if you have tiles or floorboards.

The highest scoring three vacuum cleaners tested by Which? and under £100 are

- Hoover Enigma cylinder TE70EN21001 (69% score, 5.6kg weight, 9M reach from plug)
    - Hoover Vision upright VR810F01 (69%, 7.1kg, 6.5M) and
    - John Lewis 14VM cyclonic bagless (68%, 7.5kg, 10M).

The Which? Don't Buy vacuum cleaners include quite a few Vax and Hoover models.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've had a Henry for ten years now and I expect it to last another 10 years. Surely it's the most mse vaccumn?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    We have an upstairs and downstairs vacuum.
    The upstairs is a dc01 that still has life in it.

If budget tight second hand/refurb will probably get better value.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've had a Henry for ten years now and I expect it to last another 10 years. Surely it's the most mse vaccumn?

+1 for a Henry.

Probably the cheapest.
    The pipe isn't long enough for the whole staircase so I do have to carry it while I'm cleaning some of it.
    The cord is long enough that I can plug it in at the top of the stairs & it reaches the whole house. Of course that will depend on the size of your house, but they do have quite long leads.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Several posters have recommended the Henry but a new one is over the OPs £100 budget.

It's worth keeping an eye on the Direct Vacuums website to see what refurbished ones they have.

https://www.directvacuums.co.uk/refurbished-vacuums
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have just bought the Shark uplift pet one to replace my Dyson.

It is amazing! So much better than my Dyson in terms of build quality.

I bought direct from the Shark website as they had 10% of their sale price.

It also comes with a 5 year guarantee.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    stoopyftm wrote: »
    Weight is the next consideration, my partner is disabled so it helps enormously if it's light, and also my current cleaner is built like a tank and it's a nightmare doing the stairs.
    These are made for a Henry but push fit onto the hose so may fit other vacuums or universal fit ones might be available.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qualtex-Extension-Numatic-Vacuum-Cleaners/dp/B003HCIN1Q#customerReviews
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Several posters have recommended the Henry but a new one is over the OPs £100 budget.

The Hetty isn't. £99.99

81qzG08KOeL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Hetty HET160 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills