🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Recommend me a vacuum cleaner

Options
Time for a new vacuum cleaner was thinking this is going cost a lot but after a bit of googling I realised there are some very good budget cleaners for under £100 quid

I don't have the biggest of houses so I don't really need a top of the range £400 Dyson rollerball or whatever so can anybody recommend me a sub £100 cleaner

My main requirements are suction, suction and suction the more the better, isn't that the point, it's amazing how many reviews say that a certain vacuums suction isnt great.
Weight is the next consideration, my partner is disabled so it helps enormously if it's light, and also my current cleaner is built like a tank and it's a nightmare doing the stairs.
A long flex would be good as the above stairs cleaning has to currently be done in to parts to access upstairs and downstairs plugs.
A hose is essential for those nooks and crannies but they all have those, don't they?
And finally, I've seen the models that split into two and a smaller vacuum pops out, that would be fantastic for lightness and stair cleaning.

What I don't need is a whole range of gimmicks, attachments, brush bars, pet hair cleaners and the like, I'm sure they are great for specific purposes but a good general all round cleaner would be fine.

I'm having a good old look around and there is so much choice it's a little bit bewildering with contrasting reviews in some cases, so if anyone has found a gem and can recommend that would be lovely! And any good deals wouldn't go amiss either. :)

Thanks

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought a Vax U84-AL-PME Air Lift Steerable Pet Max Upright Vacuum Cleaner refurbished from Direct Vacuums on Ebay two years ago, under £100 and was as new. It is great plenty of suction easy to empty etc.
  • AJGuy
    AJGuy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Dyson v7 and it’s great but I must admit the price is on the higher end for what it is. I had a Vax U84 which came with 2 batteries and was around the £125 mark and had a 3 year warranty... it was a great hoover but the OH broke it ��!♂️. There’s also a cordless Henry which is the king of sunction and reliability but it’s on the heavy side and awkward to carry around the house, the price fluctuates around the £180 mark.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2019 at 4:59PM
    Options
    The Which? Best Buy vacuum cleaners are all pricey brands (Dyson and Miele) except one: Shark Lift-Away NV601UKT (overall score 77%, ~£160). I mention it because it seems to tick your boxes, and you might find a good deal/ refurbished one.

Which say "It's a bagless upright vacuum cleaner from Shark which also has a lift-away canister that makes it easier to clean the stairs and other difficult-to-reach places.

It weighs 6.6kg, which is relatively light for an upright vacuum. It has an average 2.3 litre dust capacity and its overall reach from plug to floorhead is a modest 8.4 metres.

With this pet version you get a motorised upholstery tool, along with the standard crevice and upholstery tool ...

It's also good at deep cleaning carpets, and it's effective in crevices too, so a good choice if you have tiles or floorboards.

The highest scoring three vacuum cleaners tested by Which? and under £100 are

- Hoover Enigma cylinder TE70EN21001 (69% score, 5.6kg weight, 9M reach from plug)
    - Hoover Vision upright VR810F01 (69%, 7.1kg, 6.5M) and
    - John Lewis 14VM cyclonic bagless (68%, 7.5kg, 10M).

The Which? Don't Buy vacuum cleaners include quite a few Vax and Hoover models.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've had a Henry for ten years now and I expect it to last another 10 years. Surely it's the most mse vaccumn?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    We have an upstairs and downstairs vacuum.
    The upstairs is a dc01 that still has life in it.

If budget tight second hand/refurb will probably get better value.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've had a Henry for ten years now and I expect it to last another 10 years. Surely it's the most mse vaccumn?

+1 for a Henry.

Probably the cheapest.
    The pipe isn't long enough for the whole staircase so I do have to carry it while I'm cleaning some of it.
    The cord is long enough that I can plug it in at the top of the stairs & it reaches the whole house. Of course that will depend on the size of your house, but they do have quite long leads.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Several posters have recommended the Henry but a new one is over the OPs £100 budget.

It's worth keeping an eye on the Direct Vacuums website to see what refurbished ones they have.

https://www.directvacuums.co.uk/refurbished-vacuums
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have just bought the Shark uplift pet one to replace my Dyson.

It is amazing! So much better than my Dyson in terms of build quality.

I bought direct from the Shark website as they had 10% of their sale price.

It also comes with a 5 year guarantee.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    stoopyftm wrote: »
    Weight is the next consideration, my partner is disabled so it helps enormously if it's light, and also my current cleaner is built like a tank and it's a nightmare doing the stairs.
    These are made for a Henry but push fit onto the hose so may fit other vacuums or universal fit ones might be available.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qualtex-Extension-Numatic-Vacuum-Cleaners/dp/B003HCIN1Q#customerReviews
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Several posters have recommended the Henry but a new one is over the OPs £100 budget.

The Hetty isn't. £99.99

81qzG08KOeL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Hetty HET160 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business