Credit Limits & Bank Transfers

Hi,

I am looking to get a new credit card to help pay for some house renovation work.

Are there particular providers who offer up decent credit limits or is this all based on individual credit score? From experience of taking out cards previously, I recall only finding out the credit limit after the application process, so would be keen to know this up front.

The card will be predominantly used for purchasing materials at 0% interest, but as some of the labour will be carried out by a family friend, ideally I would like to use the credit card to transfer cash to a bank account to pay for this without paying interest.
Is there a card out there that would allow this or am I better off looking at other ways of doing it?

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 February 2019 at 10:10AM
    You won't know upfront.

Anecdotally, MBNA and Bcard give decent limits, but it's based on your credit risk of each lender.

If you need cash, you will need a money transfer card.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    You won't be able to find out your limit before application I'm afraid.

I agree with zx81 - Bcard & MBNA have been known to be generous with their limits.

Maybe try an eligibility checker first to see the likelihood of acceptance and then work out the best MT card with the lesser MT fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It was mentioned on another thread recently that the Lloyds group eligibility checker indicates a provisional credit limit, presumably before a hard search is conducted:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75494178#post75494178
    jester212 wrote: »
    I would try either Halifax, BoS and Lloyds. Their eligibility checker gives you an indication of what your credit limit will be. I recently applied for a Lloyds BT card and they came back with a limit of £10k, Same with Halifax. At least then you will get an idea if you will get the limit on one card or if you will need several .:)
  • You will need a money transfer card to pay cash without getting charged cash transaction fees. As above, you won't know what your exact limit will be until you apply as the limit will depend on criteria that can only be determined through a hard credit application. I haven't used the eligibility calculator posted by eskbanker, but it might be worth looking into
  • You could also look at MBNA's new eligibility checker tomorrow. According to their new site they can now give you an estimated credit limit when doing the clever check...
    Complete a short form to see MBNA credit cards you’re eligible to apply for, your estimated credit limit and likelihood of being accepted - all without affecting your credit rating.

Might be worth a look.
  • I think the Lloyds banking group, MBNA and Nationwide will give you an indication of credit limit on their eligibility checkers.
  • I have had fairly high limits from BOS, Halifax, Tesco and Creation in the past but it does depend on a few factors such as credit history, available credit etc.
    Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
    Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
    Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
    Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
    Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure