Why doesnt MSE do GOOD comps themselves?

1235

Replies

  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    The main MSE site makes money, the forum does not - so being able to use the forum for free is enough for most people - I have no wish to pay a fee just so they might run a competition.

    So your saying the site cant even spare a £50 voucher which im sure their can get off another company which could sponsor the comp.

    Mag dailies do that for each comp and not to mention bloggers
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    pate-ci0 wrote: »
    Ok, this thread is now 'hacking' me off. Apart from the grammar and spelling irritations, as far as I am concerned, MSE owes compers nothing; they are providing a service which we can use for freeeeeee, for our own little hobby, end of story. There are always other competition sites if folk are not happy with this one.

    I will pass on your regards to FACEBOOK which also is a free platform and is getting bad press lately.
  • toniqtoniq Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wdywuk wrote: »
    That's the one, if would only be self promotion if their posted it themselves.

    Plus their did those rubbish books some time ago and as its their own rules im sure it would be OK if the prizes were good


    Why not put this on the forum feedback thread.


    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50


    Then MSE can tell you their actual stance on this.


    Good luck.
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    toniq wrote: »
    Why not put this on the forum feedback thread.


    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50


    Then MSE can tell you their actual stance on this.


    Good luck.


    Good idea but the few threads i looked at had no one from the site commenting so can only assume its the BIN.

    To add looking at the stats from the main forum page, comps has 3,970,396 posts so im thinking the site knows the comping section is getting traffic and must be in the top 5
  • Chyna-sChyna-s Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    wdywuk wrote: »
    So your saying the site cant even spare a £50 voucher which im sure their can get off another company which could sponsor the comp.

    Mag dailies do that for each comp and not to mention bloggers
    I'm still perplexed as to why you think MSE should run a competition? How about you run one, give back to all the people that helped you win in the past? :T:T
    Thank you all who post.
  • edited 25 February 2019 at 7:16PM
    mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2019 at 7:16PM
    wdywuk wrote: »
    So your saying the site cant even spare a £50 voucher which im sure their can get off another company which could sponsor the comp.

    Mag dailies do that for each comp and not to mention bloggers

    MSE does not accept payment for posts and "sponsorship" amounts to the same thing.

    If you are that bothered about it then perhaps not using the forum and sticking to those you like is the simple answer.

    wdywuk wrote: »
    To add looking at the stats from the main forum page, comps has 3,970,396 posts so im thinking the site knows the comping section is getting traffic and must be in the top 5

    As the Forum costs money to run presumably these figures are to illustrate that the comping section is one of the most costly parts of the forum.
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chyna-s wrote: »
    I'm still perplexed as to why you think MSE should run a competition? How about you run one, give back to all the people that helped you win in the past? :T:T


    Well when I start a website & sell it for £80M I will do one for a £20 Nando’s voucher and have you in the small print to thank fir the suggestion
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    MSE does not accept payment for posts and "sponsorship" amounts to the same thing.

    If you are that bothered about it then perhaps not using the forum and sticking to those you like is the simple answer.




    As the Forum costs money to run presumably these figures are to illustrate that the comping section is one of the most costly parts of the forum.

    Are you an tech expert & know for such the costs involved in running a site. As the comp forum is one part of many other threads I don’t think it’s cost is in the millions of pounds you keep saying to run.

    It’s 1s and 0s on a server. I watched Silicon Valley & read a book, where I got a t-shirt out of it.
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also for a sale of the site at £80M to be justified to the board of Moneysupermarket the site is profitable enough & as always wasn’t planned out to be a not-for-profit company
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wdywuk wrote: »
    Also for a sale of the site at £80M to be justified to the board of Moneysupermarket the site is profitable enough & as always wasn’t planned out to be a not-for-profit company...
    Are you an tech expert & know for such the costs involved in running a site. As the comp forum is one part of many other threads I don’t think it’s cost is in the millions of pounds you keep saying to run.


    You seem to be struggling to appreciate the difference between the main site which makes money and the forum that does not - You also appear to be making figures up as the cost of running the forum has not been claimed to be millions - as posted earlier in the thread it was less than 6 figures (under £100,000)

    "A Quote from Martin from over 14 years ago
    Even at current rates these forums are costing a nearly 6 figure sum a year to run. No one is charged. There is no advertising.


    But so what if the forum was making money instead of losing it there would still be no reason to run their own competitions - the posts in the "I won" section provide just a partial record of how useful some others find this section
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides