Why doesnt MSE do GOOD comps themselves?

Replies

• wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It still shouldn’t stop them from doing good comps themselves.

Often his advise is based on other companies/ rules where you get the money back, but this site just seems to act as the middle men, get rich & gives little back. As the link suggested he sold the site for £80M which means a few good comps should be oftened.
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have given books away in the past.

There where not good books either like first editions
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it further even lesser business than this site did advents comps but guess what MSE did little more than act as a middle man for others to post links.

One could say it was like Facebook really
  • The_3rd_ZebuThe_3rd_Zebu Forumite
    738 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    I think it has got to the stage where the 'Competitions Time' forum of MSE benefits very few of the tens of thousands of people who use it.

A few years ago I estimated I was winning about 50 pence a hour for the time I spent comping on line. Yet now I think it is far less than that. I'd be better off getting a paper round or something.

All of these online comping websites get hyped up far too much in the media.
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wdywuk wrote: »
    It still shouldn’t stop them from doing good comps themselves.

Often his advise is based on other companies/ rules where you get the money back, but this site just seems to act as the middle men, get rich & gives little back. As the link suggested he sold the site for £80M which means a few good comps should be oftened.

A Quote from Martin from over 14 years ago
    Even at current rates these forums are costing a nearly 6 figure sum a year to run. No one is charged. There is no advertising.

There is also a thread on here somewhere from years ago detailing the sale of the site, editorial independence, the £1,000,000s being donated to charity and other worthwhile initiatives.
  • MakeandsaveMakeandsave Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am just so grateful for this forum, Its nice and well laid out and the posters/mod do a fantastic job so THANK YOU. If there is a comp to win a book then thats a bonus :)
    Jan Wins: .
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    A Quote from Martin from over 14 years ago

There is also a thread on here somewhere from years ago detailing the sale of the site, editorial independence, the £1,000,000s being donated to charity and other worthwhile initiatives.

From my link above he gave £10M or so in charity & pockets the huge chunk of change. Only read the first paragraph.
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back to the topic at hand, how can we get MSE Audrey to find out why the site doesn’t do it own good comps...I’m sure £50 voucher is in the budget for the site than just a platform
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wdywuk wrote: »
    Back to the topic at hand, how can we get MSE Audrey to find out why the site doesn’t do it own good comps...I’m sure £50 voucher is in the budget for the site than just a platform

The sale of the site was discussed at length on the Forum many years ago when it took place and has nothing to do with running or not running a competition.

As to the topic at hand - there is no commercial reason/need for the Forum to run a competition (even though they have in the past and for more than just books) - if there was a spare £50 sloshing around it would be better used on projects Martin is involved in than given away in an unnecessary competition.
  • edited 23 February 2019 at 6:58PM
    wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2019 at 6:58PM
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    The sale of the site was discussed at length on the Forum many years ago when it took place and has nothing to do with running or not running a competition.

As to the topic at hand - there is no commercial reason/need for the Forum to run a competition (even though they have in the past and for more than just books) - if there was a spare £50 sloshing around it would be better used on projects Martin is involved in than given away in an unnecessary competition.

I didn’t take part in that discussion what was the conclusion!

I take it your not a comper & only a non-comper would say such a thing. I don’t use the other parts of the site myself but as a comper I would say it’s giving back.

From everything I see from Martin it’s a middle man who points the way but any money back is often from the bigger players like banks or the big 5 traffics.

I had hoped their would have been more of a rallying cry from the comper’s who spend like hours either posting or doing the comps to get MSE to do more comps but I’m only hearing the opposite
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides