Why doesnt MSE do GOOD comps themselves?

Replies

• LizB62LizB62 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bit that stands out for me from one of wdywuk's posts is:

"I don’t use the other parts of the site myself"

Maybe if you did, you might realise that MSE is so much more than just the Comps boards !
    MSE doesn't exist just to let us post and enter comps, it's here to help people save money.
    The Comps board is just a little bonus.

Personally, I don't see why MSE should feel the need to run competitions. MSE regularly either saves me money (e.g. cheaper gas & electricity) or earns me money (better interest rates on my savings).

I consider than a win :D
    2021 wins: matchbox seedball, 2 tiny pots of peanut butter, Honeybuns GF goodies
    Best win ever: Trip to the Galapagos Islands in 2010
  • edited 24 February 2019 at 4:30PM
    sammi86sammi86 Forumite
    510 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 24 February 2019 at 4:30PM
    This post smacks of self entitlement.

If you spend time perusing other areas of the forum/website you'll see that the site is more than just competitions and although this section is one of the more popular sections there are many other sections that contribute to the functionality of the forum as a whole. Its not just a competition log book.

Every so often the MSE team will do small promotions but its usually something related to money saving which is at the heart of the site.

Look at this part of the forum in a basic way, its just the end user listing sources for competitions

What would you propose MSE do for rewarding those users that only use the Ebay, Music or the Health and Beauty Section?
  • sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the OP was implying that a competition should only be for the Competition Time forum?, so if people in the Health and Beauty section want to enter an MSE competition then they could?
  • RavenRaeRavenRae Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    LizB62 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see why MSE should feel the need to run competitions. MSE regularly either saves me money (e.g. cheaper gas & electricity) or earns me money (better interest rates on my savings).

I consider than a win :D

THIS
    This little bit of the forum, whilst popular and busy is just one element of MSE.
    "Knowledge will give you power, but character respect" ~ Bruce Lee
  • Chyna-sChyna-s Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    toniq wrote: »
    Has someone hacked your account?
    Was just thinking the same :rotfl::rotfl:
    Thank you all who post.
  • edited 25 February 2019 at 4:08PM
    wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2019 at 4:08PM
    Chyna-s wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same :rotfl::rotfl:
    toniq wrote: »
    Has someone hacked your account?

No it hasn't just someone who comes to this site which has a comp forum which takes us away from the site to enter comps yet does NO comps themselves not even advents.

The list was a mile long and MSE nothing. If MSE Audrey is reading this can you provide the info on the money / traffic that was made in DEC that a advent aleast could have been done.

Even lesser companies than MSE did a small ADVENT to give back.

Just saw this I seen more comps done by HotUKdeals than MSE which goes to show what MSE thinks of the traffic made by everyone

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5968541
  • edited 25 February 2019 at 4:20PM
    toniqtoniq Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February 2019 at 4:20PM
    Do you mean Mse Andrea?

x

If Mse gave out prizes or ran comps that could be seen as promotion which is against it's own rules.

The UK's biggest independent money site, with 13 million unique users a month, it really doesn't need the traffic a comp would generate.

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • wdywukwdywuk Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's the one, if would only be self promotion if their posted it themselves.

Plus their did those rubbish books some time ago and as its their own rules im sure it would be OK if the prizes were good
  • pate-ci0pate-ci0 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, this thread is now 'hacking' me off. Apart from the grammar and spelling irritations, as far as I am concerned, MSE owes compers nothing; they are providing a service which we can use for freeeeeee, for our own little hobby, end of story. There are always other competition sites if folk are not happy with this one.
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wdywuk wrote: »
    No it hasn't just someone who comes to this site which has a comp forum which takes us away from the site to enter comps yet does NO comps themselves not even advents.

The list was a mile long and MSE nothing. If MSE Audrey is reading this can you provide the info on the money / traffic that was made in DEC that a advent aleast could have been done.

Even lesser companies than MSE did a small ADVENT to give back.

Just saw this I seen more comps done by HotUKdeals than MSE which goes to show what MSE thinks of the traffic made by everyone

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5968541

The main MSE site makes money, the forum does not - so being able to use the forum for free is enough for most people - I have no wish to pay a fee just so they might run a competition.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News