Virgin Mobile price hike!!

Options
Hi, I have just received an email from Virgin Mobile staying that from April my monthly contract will increase to £13 a month. I currently only pay £4 a month!

We’re writing to let you know that we’re updating our mobile plans and, from your April bill date, the plan you’re currently on will no longer be available. Don’t worry, we’ll be moving you to a new plan from April. This will cost £13.00 a month, and includes 5GB data, 2500 mins and unlimited texts and your handset repayments will stay the same.

Can they actually do this??

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    Options
    Definitely if you're past the minimum term.
  • ChaddyTOwl
    Options
    Really? Could they charge me more than that then? If they sent me an email saying I now have to pay £50 a month would that also be acceptable? I am genuinely asking because I think an increase of over 300% is totally unreasonable. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I will have to ring them.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ChaddyTOwl wrote: »
    Really? Could they charge me more than that then? If they sent me an email saying I now have to pay £50 a month would that also be acceptable? I am genuinely asking because I think an increase of over 300% is totally unreasonable. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I will have to ring them.

Before you call I suggest you do a bit of homework and find alternative suppliers & the cost for the plans

Then you are "armed" with knowledge and in a position to haggle, or just ask for PAC if no joy, then move elsewhere
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • ChaddyTOwl
    Options
    Thanks. What is PAC?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks. What is PAC?

PAC = Porting Authorisation Code
    It is a number you obtain from your phone provider,Virgin in your case, which allows to to transfer your number to another provider, such as O2

It is free to obtain & use, the beauty is your supplier knows you are off unless they can help
    https://paccodes.co.uk/
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • ChaddyTOwl
    Options
    Great, thanks
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's possible your existing plan has a discount on it, bringing the price down to £4, before panicking why not check to see if any discounts are to be applied to this new price.

Then, you're in a more realistic position to shop around.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, I have just received an email from Virgin Mobile staying that from April my monthly contract will increase to £13 a month. I currently only pay £4 a month!

We’re writing to let you know that we’re updating our mobile plans and, from your April bill date, the plan you’re currently on will no longer be available. Don’t worry, we’ll be moving you to a new plan from April. This will cost £13.00 a month, and includes 5GB data, 2500 mins and unlimited texts and your handset repayments will stay the same.

Can they actually do this??

Yes, they can, and you can terminate the service and move elsewhere if you don’t like the offer.
    ====
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    they do other plans.

1Gb is £7 I think.
    It will lock you into a 12 month contract.

or look at plusnet who use the same network.
    1 month contract
  • CV1978
    Options
    I've had the same email. The issue I have with this is it was a special deal along with purchase the iPhone x off them at launch. Along with this £4 per month tariff it came with 5x data for life. You can not keep using the 5x data for life if you swap onto another tariff. So in essence its not 5x data for life its 5x data until they decide to up the pricing 200% and make you leave..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure