The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sully1311
    Options
    dekkard wrote: »
    Could you not leave the minimum in there and keep it open ?

I'm at the minimum threshold now.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    I recently opened a new Tesco Savings account at 1.31% interest. Now I see it has gone up to 1.36 so have opened another one! When did it increase the second time?

Maybe I should forget Tesco and use Marcus instead? I would like it to 'settle down' first, after every saver has put their 10/- (!) in to see if they maintain their interest rates.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    Not over-happy with the security to access the Marcus account. E-mail and password only.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not over-happy with the security to access the Marcus account. E-mail and password only.
    You can "enhance" your security by clearing your cookies after logging out (in case you are worried about someone transferring your money to your linked bank account).
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options

But you can only withdraw money to your own linked account, so why is that a problem?
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I recently opened a new Tesco Savings account at 1.31% interest. Now I see it has gone up to 1.36 so have opened another one! When did it increase the second time?

Maybe I should forget Tesco and use Marcus instead? I would like it to 'settle down' first, after every saver has put their 10/- (!) in to see if they maintain their interest rates.
    The 1.31% rate started 04/09 and the 1.36% on 26/09, gotta be quick with Tesco. Marcus is a variable rate account just like Tesco. I can't see Marcus dropping their market entry rate in a hurry, Tesco changes at the drop of a hat. All you are achieving by waiting is getting less interest
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    You can "enhance" your security by clearing your cookies after logging out (in case you are worried about someone transferring your money to your linked bank account).

Thanks. I suppose the fact that monies can only be transferred to / from linked account makes it relatively safe .... unless someone accesses both accounts ?!!!
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

If someone managed to login to your Marcus account though the worst they could do would be to transfer your funds to your own nominated bank account - They couldn't get their hands on the money.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2018 at 6:36PM
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    The 1.31% rate started 04/09 and the 1.36% on 26/09, gotta be quick with Tesco. Marcus is a variable rate account just like Tesco. I can't see Marcus dropping their market entry rate in a hurry, Tesco changes at the drop of a hat. All you are achieving by waiting is getting less interest

I missed out on Tesco going to 1.31%. I have been languishing on 1.2% for sometime. It is a nuisance that everytime they up their rate you have to create a new account, and then transfer some funds into it. I then have to wait for a time before it will let me withdraw from the new account. (Perhaps I should change my user name to I-Used-To-Lov-Money !!!)

If Marcus decides it has received 'too much' money, might they then drop their rate?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,469 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I suppose the fact that monies can only be transferred to / from linked account makes it relatively safe .... unless someone accesses both accounts ?!!!
    Yes, and they'd need your email address, password, and access to a computer/device you'd previously used to log in even to do that much. You'd be best to focus on the security of your linked account as this is probably the gateway to several risks.

A useful compromise is for them to require a device to be re-authorised every 30 days or so. Perhaps they do this already.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback