• Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's wrong with an AER of 3.10%?
  • dasim
    dasim Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I've just tried opening the Ulster Bank instant access account. I can't get past the question which says "Select the branch for the account" Any postcode I put in comes up with nothing and won't let me continue. Is there a solution? Or should I go elsewhere (not to Citibank by the look of postings here!)
  • tipsychick
    Options
    dasim wrote: »
    I've just tried opening the Ulster Bank instant access account. I can't get past the question which says "Select the branch for the account" Any postcode I put in comes up with nothing and won't let me continue. Is there a solution? Or should I go elsewhere (not to Citibank by the look of postings here!)

Try putting GB in. There are a dozen or so branches in London and it's not like you can operate the account via a branch anyway!
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

i had the same problem. i called them on their free phone no and they opened one on phone. took about 10 minutes....
  • moi
    moi Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

As tipsychick said, it's not like you can operate the account via a branch, so I don't think it really matters! I put in a Belfast postcode & just chose their Customer Service Centre as the 'branch'.
  • MadTechie
    Options
    Hi all, long time reader here.

I currently have a Ulster eSavings Plus account, and this is the last month of the (6 bonus) period I have now opened a Pathway account as it will give me another 6months with a better bonus, Now I was trying to workout if it was better for me to wait until the end of the month and then transfer my money from the eSavings Plus to Pathway or do it right away, but then I noticed this
    The money you wish to put into a Pathway account must be money that is not already on deposit with Ulster Bank
    *had to add spaces to the link (I'm a newbie)

So that means I need to transfer my move from eSavings Plus to a non-Ulster account then back to the Pathway account.. right ?

I wanted to keep my eSavings Plus alive (for after the 6 months) as it has a rate of 2.71%, where as Pathways has a little less 2.60%.

So my questions are:~
    1. Do I need to transfer to a non-ulster account first ?
    2. Should I wait until the end of the month before transferring ?

Any help/advice would be very welcome.
    Press any other key to continue.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So my questions are:~
    1. Do I need to transfer to a non-ulster account first ?
    2. Should I wait until the end of the month before transferring ?

1. Yes
    2. Work out how long the transfers will take - cheque? BACS? FPs? then time it accordingly.
  • KIKPOP99
    KIKPOP99 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 15 November 2009 at 9:39PM
    Options
    Hi

This website lists the best instant access rate as the Ulster Bank Pathway account at 3.6% variable, and the second best is Citibank at 3.3% variable AER. However, when you log on to the Ulster Bank website, it is clearly written that the AER is 3.1%. Surely that means when you make a direct comparison of the AER's (as we are told to do) Citibank is offering the better rate, or am I missing something?

I am currently receiving 3.3% AER through Egg, and I can't work out whether or not this 3.6% rate with Ulster Bank is better for me or not. Can anybody help please?

Thanks.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    KIKPOP99 wrote: »
    Hi

This website lists the best instant access rate as the Ulster Bank Pathway account at 3.6% variable, and the second best is Citibank at 3.3% variable AER. However, when get on to the UB website, it is clearly written that the AER is 3.1%. Surely that means when you make a direct comparison of the AER's (as we are told to do) Citibank is offering the better rate, or am I missing something?

Ulster Bank's rate includes a 1% bonus for the first six months. This means that the average rate through the year is 3.1% [(3.6+2.6)/2], and as the AER is an annual rate, that is the one that they have to publish.

However, if you are happy to switch your account at the end of the six months, then you'll be getting 3.6% for that whole time.
  • KIKPOP99
    Options
    Thanks rb10 - That clears it up. I'm happy to switch for 6 months. Why not?!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback