PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I stay or should I go?

Options

Comments

• Beardmidget
    Options
    Anna,

You’re perfectly nice being concerned about everyone, but in this situation you are really only morally obliged to be concerned about you and your children.

Making yourself homeless by agreeing to this when the landlord knows your predicament means you will end up paying expensively for accommodation for three weeks (hotel/Airbnb or something I would guess) plus storage for your goods. I don’t suppose he/she has offered to pay for this expense. They might be wise to if they really do want you out on 31/3 because there’s basically nothing they can do to force the issue.

Bear in mind, the council won’t help you because you would have voluntarily made yourself homeless.

Basically, your landlord needs to urgently speak with his solicitor as he cannot exchange. I would wager that the housebuilder will flex on the date if pressed to because it’s more hassle for them to insist on the 1/4 date for the sake of three more weeks. I would guess your LL doesn’t want to ‘mess up’ the part exchange, but they’ll just have to!
  • paddy's_mum
    Options
    Stop being so nice!

Your landlord took your money without a backward glance.

He has contracted to buy another house without a backward glance.

He has not bothered to check what his lawful obligations are/were.

He is not thinking of the mess and/or potential disaster he has landed you with.

He just wants you to do what suits him.

He is not and will not be bothered about the welfare of your children. They have only you to protect them and their welfare.

Do what is right for you, without a backward glance! Good luck.
  • Anna1965
    Options
    Stop being so nice!

Your landlord took your money without a backward glance.

He has contracted to buy another house without a backward glance.

He has not bothered to check what his lawful obligations are/were.

He is not thinking of the mess and/or potential disaster he has landed you with.

He just wants you to do what suits him.

He is not and will not be bothered about the welfare of your children. They have only you to protect them and their welfare.

Do what is right for you, without a backward glance! Good luck.

Thank you, you're right. Even though it's a nasty situation I have to protect myself and my children. Posting on here and getting brilliant advice is keeping me strong and making me more confident.
  • Anna1965
    Options
    Thank you, yes I'm aware of the issues with the council if I make myself voluntarily homeless. It's another reason to stay put.
  • Anna1965
    Options
    sam_r2d2 wrote: »
    Keep coming back for advice! You are in a much stronger position than I think you realise and you have lots to be confident about

I do get the idea feeling that the landlord is going to get desperate - I know you have a lot going on/to deal with bit consider changing the locks if you haven't already and don't be afraid to call police if any threats get made

Thanks, yes they might get desperate but I'm not sure I can change the locks without the LLs permission. I'd have to check the tenancy agreement.
  • Anna1965
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    No - not at this point. But check for yourself whether/where the deposit is protected. If it is not you are in a strong position as
    1) he cannot serve a valid S21 to evict and
    2) you can claim a penalty (any time in the next 6 years)

Knowlege is power. When/whether you choose to use it is different.
    He is selling the property. This is a standard question the buyer will ask, so the seller needs to answer.No need to be obstructive on this - simply reply briefly and politely with the information and nothing more.

G_M, I've checked the three deposit schemes and can't find any evidence of my deposit being paid into one of them. My LL employed an agent to draw up a new tenancy agreement last year. It says that my deposit is held but doesn't state where. Beneath it there's a paragraph that has been scribbled out in red ink, stating that 'A copy of the completed DPS prescribed information form from "move in day" and DPS's terms and conditions have been re-issued to you today'. I remember the agent telling me that the LL had not put my deposit in a protection scheme and that he had advised him to do so. I didn't hear anything further so it may not have been done.
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    Anna1965 wrote: »
    Thanks, yes they might get desperate but I'm not sure I can change the locks without the LLs permission. I'd have to check the tenancy agreement.
    You absolutely can change the locks without the LL's permission, as long as you replace the old ones, undamaged, when you leave.
  • Anna1965
    Options
    You absolutely can change the locks without the LL's permission, as long as you replace the old ones, undamaged, when you leave.

I checked the tenancy agreement and it says that locks cannot be changed without prior permission. The LL must also be given a new key.

Wouldn't that be a breach of contract?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anna1965 wrote: »
    I checked the tenancy agreement and it says that locks cannot be changed without prior permission. The LL must also be given a new key.

Wouldn't that be a breach of contract?

Doesn’t matter.

Breach of contract is not really a’thing’; it requires a loss. There is no loss here.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Add to that, by the time the LL can initiate any legal action over changing the locks, you'll be gone and the original locks back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure