PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I stay or should I go?

Options

Comments

• Anna1965
    Options
    I shall try to relax and reflect on the advice everyone has so kindly given me. :):)
  • Anna1965
    Options
    Hi, thank you for replying. Yes I think the house has been built already. My LL has booked a removal company for the 31st March. But, it's all a bit odd that they will be moving straight without the final contract being signed until 1/4. My LL said that the builder will have bought this house then, and I would become a their tenant if I'm still here - strange.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anna1965 wrote: »
    Hi, thank you for replying. Yes I think the house has been built already. My LL has booked a removal company for the 31st March. But, it's all a bit odd that they will be moving straight without the final contract being signed until 1/4. My LL said that the builder will have bought this house then, and I would become a their tenant if I'm still here - strange.

That is possible.

But it changes nothing for you.

(the builder may choose to sue your LL, but again nothing to do with you)
  • Anna1965
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    That is possible.

But it changes nothing for you.

(the builder may choose to sue your LL, but again nothing to do with you)

Thank you Comms. I now have to reply to the email the LL sent me last night. He reiterated that tenancy ends on 31st March and that they gave me sufficient notice. He wrote that I have been a great tenant and they've done all they can for me but can't extend my contract and expect me to leave.

How should I word a reply?
  • Comms69
    Options
    Thank you Comms. I now have to reply to the email the LL sent me last night. He reiterated that tenancy ends on 31st March and that they gave me sufficient notice. He wrote that I have been a great tenant and they've done all they can for me but can't extend my contract and expect me to leave.

First, you don't have to reply to anything. You aren't his employee.

Secondly, replying has no benefit to you. If you feel morally obligated to do so I would simply acknowledge receipt of the email.

Personally I'd just ignore it
  • LittleMrsThrifty
    Options
    The LL wrote to me in August 2018 to say that they wouldn't be renewing the tenancy and that I should find alternative accommodation.

Do you still have this and if so can you check that it didn't have a section 21 attached to it?
    MSE aim: more thanks than posts :j
  • Comms69
    Options
    The LL wrote to me in August 2018 to say that they wouldn't be renewing the tenancy and that I should find alternative accommodation.

Do you still have this and if so can you check that it didn't have a section 21 attached to it?

Most likely irrelevant, a s.21 must be acted upon with-in 6 months.

(granted there's 9 days left in Feb, which may apply)
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the builder becomes your landlord, it will have no effect on your tenancy. It will still need a section 21 to be served, the notice period waited etc

As you have realised, the same applies for the people currently in the place you hope to move to - they don't have to go anywhere immediately either, so don't put yourself in the position where you would be homeless if they didn't go as expected/hoped.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't know that the LL is totally studied up on procedures. If his builder becomes your LL (as he says) instead of him.., so what? But normally exchange (of his property to the builder) wouldn't happen until you vacate. So what he says is happening may not be happening at all.

He did tell you he didn't intend to renew, but this is not legal notice, he was just telling you what he planned to do. A section 21 has still to be sent to you. He's not as far along in the exchange of properties process as he thinks.

I'm afraid you have to protect yourself primarily as others have said.
  • Anna1965
    Options
    Most likely irrelevant, a s.21 must be acted upon with-in 6 months.

(granted there's 9 days left in Feb, which may apply)

First, you don't have to reply to anything. You aren't his employee.

Secondly, replying has no benefit to you. If you feel morally obligated to do so I would simply acknowledge receipt of the email.

Personally I'd just ignore it
    Okay, thanks for that Comms. At what stage would I need to respond? Will it be when the S21 is issued?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure