Badge Ceiling?

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I find that about all VAG cars, decent enough but hugely boring, and if I'm buying boring I may as well get the cheap one.

Though maybe I'm an inverse snob; when I bought the Skoda I didn't even consider the VW alternative as it'd be more money for the same thing, and I might have been wrong.

Yes, i think you're right. Your average VW is hardly going to set the world on fire.

Its one of the reasons i got rid of mine. I never really bonded with it.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ratrace wrote: »
    Im not a badge snob as such but i would never own a french car as my personal car[...]

i drive an astra j as my daily

Presumably you'll be ditching Vauxhall come replacement time then :)
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's nothing to suggest that VWs success is attributed to Skoda acquisition when the rudimentary maths suggest VW were successful DESPITE selling VWs with a Skoda badge for cheap when they could have put a VW badge on and sold them for more

This is just wrong as well, you seem to keep making up facts then choose your opinion based on your made up facts. That you seem to genuinely think VW make a massive financial loss on Skoda and do it for a joke is just completely bizarre.

There's many people out there who will not pay more for the VW badge, myself included so that's a lost sale to VW. I've bought two Skodas so that's two more sales for VW. It's clearly working well financially for VW otherwise they'd never have continually invested in Skoda, taken them over and then continued them for many years after.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My VW has got a Ford badge on it that has led to some interesting discussions over the years. I bought it because it suffered massive early depreciation like a Ford would. So bought for bargain price. I then discovered taking it to Ford for a service is normally a disaster as it's a VW and they would put the wrong oil in it. I once made the mistake of saying it was a Ford when buying parts from the VW dealer. I had a big argument but they ended up accepting that it was a VW but the public weren't supposed to know. VW parts bought at a Ford dealership were much more expensive. I remember having an argument at work with someone who was a badge snob and kept saying a VW would be better. He just couldn't understand it was a VW.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I remember the bad rep Skoda' had. I would still buy one now, but not for £40k.

I was having a similar conversation before about Nissan Micras. I would never in a million years buy one, because I just think it is an old ladies car, but when you see the new Micra it is actually quite nice.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    My VW has got a Ford badge on it that has led to some interesting discussions over the years. I bought it because it suffered massive early depreciation like a Ford would. So bought for bargain price. I then discovered taking it to Ford for a service is normally a disaster as it's a VW and they would put the wrong oil in it. I once made the mistake of saying it was a Ford when buying parts from the VW dealer. I had a big argument but they ended up accepting that it was a VW but the public weren't supposed to know. VW parts bought at a Ford dealership were much more expensive. I remember having an argument at work with someone who was a badge snob and kept saying a VW would be better. He just couldn't understand it was a VW.

I thought you were retired? Why do you need a van - are you a member of the travelling community?
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    Hi All

I came across this review of a new Skoda and the price threw me a little - £43k. Do you think this breaks the Skoda upper ceiling for what people are prepared to pay - I would have thought this is well into Audi/Jag/BMW realms??

Would you pay £43k for a Skoda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SDwEXre6o&t=116s

Also, are you a badge snob and would never been seen in a X even if it was a good car and good price??

I wouldn't pay £43k for any car!!
  • Tokk
    Tokk Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    I remember the bad rep Skoda' had. I would still buy one now, but not for £40k.

I was having a similar conversation before about Nissan Micras. I would never in a million years buy one, because I just think it is an old ladies car, but when you see the new Micra it is actually quite nice.

To be honest I wouldn't buy a Micra for two main reasons...
    1) It offends my respect for language that something so fricken huge is named to suggest compactness (earlier versions fair enough, present version no damned way).
    2) As with most Nissan's it seems, it's fricken ugly - I like my cars, I buy them because I like them and appreciate them, I just wouldn't want to buy a car from a manufacturer who seems to like making ugly cars for the sake of it.

£43 for a Skoda sounds a lot, it'd have to stack up noticeably favourably to rivals to tilt it for me.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a member of the travelling community but I have done a lot of travelling in the car. It's so nice sat up a little bit higher, in a really comfortable seat, with your armrests on cruise control. Most car reviews seem to suggest people spend their lives winding down twisting country lanes with no other vehicles in sight whereas in reality long journeys are all on the motorway. I used to drive it and then swap into an MX5. Absolutely hated the MX5 especially on the motorway. We do have a traveller who comes round offering to cut down trees and buy our car. We always refuse both.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    My VW has got a Ford badge on it that has led to some interesting discussions over the years
    Mk1 Galaxy?

Not really "a VW", certainly no more than it is a Ford - it was designed and built as a joint venture, in a JV factory in Portugal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure