Badge Ceiling?

Options
wymondham
wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
Hi All

I came across this review of a new Skoda and the price threw me a little - £43k. Do you think this breaks the Skoda upper ceiling for what people are prepared to pay - I would have thought this is well into Audi/Jag/BMW realms??

Would you pay £43k for a Skoda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-SDwEXre6o&t=116s

Also, are you a badge snob and would never been seen in a X even if it was a good car and good price??

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    Hi All

I came across this review of a new Skoda and the price threw me a little - £43k. Do you think this breaks the Skoda upper ceiling for what people are prepared to pay - I would have thought this is well into Audi/Jag/BMW realms??

Also, are you a badge snob and would never been seen in a X even if it was a good car and good price??

It's a Skoda Kodiaq vRS, if you like that sort of car they will pay the money, probably the only issue is the new VED rules which may hinder that £40K barrier.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not a badge snob, I tried a Skoda recently & didn't like it so I didn't buy it. It doesn't matter whether other people like it or not.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    its way too much compared to a Cupra Ateca altho it does have 2 extra seats
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The trouble with Skoda (and Seat, and soon Dacia) is that they started as poverty brands, and then the prices ramped up as they began to think of themselves as "Quality". Dinosaurs like me cannot get used to it, as we remember when second hand skodas were pretty much scrap money.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Sir_Stanley_Hubris
    Options
    Afraid I'm both a badge snob and a dinosaur and wouldn't buy a Skoda for that kind of money as I still consider them a semi-budget brand. You'd get a seriously good second hand Audi / BMW for that kind of money I guess.
    It would be interesting to know what younger people think though (say under 30s) - those who have grown up NOT knowing Skoda as a very budget brand but as a serious rally team.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All

This type of vehicle is generally expensive and the rivals in its class are not BMWs or Audis, it's the likes of the Hyundai Santa Fe, the Kia Sorento and the Nissan X-Trail. The Skoda undercuts its VW sibling and is more practical as well.

John
  • Tokk
    Tokk Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Afraid I'm both a badge snob and a dinosaur and wouldn't buy a Skoda for that kind of money as I still consider them a semi-budget brand. You'd get a seriously good second hand Audi / BMW for that kind of money I guess.
    It would be interesting to know what younger people think though (say under 30s) - those who have grown up NOT knowing Skoda as a very budget brand but as a serious rally team.

I'm early thirties, so younger people exist...

Personally, I've always seen Skoda's as the cheaper VAG, Seat as the younger persons VAG, VW as boring and Audi as snobbier (but unless an expensive model, mostly poser-ish).

To be honest, I'd always have preferred any of them (including Skoda) to a good number of other makes (although I don't have a VAG at the moment)
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

I grew up knowing Skoda as super budget brand but was also aware when they were bought over by VW and were a decent buy, I've owned both mk 1 and 2 Octavias. These days most people are aware Skodas are VW's underneath hence the prices have crept up over the years and still Skoda are doing pretty well, only second to Porsche within the VW group for profit margins.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    The trouble with Skoda (and Seat, and soon Dacia) is that they started as poverty brands, and then the prices ramped up as they began to think of themselves as "Quality". Dinosaurs like me cannot get used to it, as we remember when second hand skodas were pretty much scrap money.

Really interesting you mention Dacia. The new Duster is worlds apart from the previous one although the price is still low - maybe its the sweet spot with Dacia at the mo? Whenever I mention Dacia Dusters they get generally get rubbished by people going on about plastic, forgetting they now have the same engine as Renault/Nissan/Daimler group (inc a 150BHP one), so this does seem to be a hangover as per Skoda?
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 February 2019 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Hi All

Im not a badge snob as such but i would never own a french car as my personal car, we have had a few skodas in the past and dad has one now they are not bad for what they are imho, im 28 so im not sure what they were like in the past but as the vag group car its pretty good, i work on vw's and they are good but man are they boring unless its the gti or the r

i drive an astra j as my daily but have an e46 m3 as an investment/weekend car but its a poorly at the moment lol, im looking for a nice mk1 vw r32 but the ones ive seen are lemons hopefully i get it this year at some point
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport