Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    harz99 said:
    It would be better if the board guide stopped meddling, as obviously a shortage is a bad buy as In it ain't on the shelf to buy = equals not a good buy! 
    It wasn't just about the shortages though was it. It was a really off topic discussion about Brexit, the EU, their spite, customs unions and politics etc etc, which has nothing at all to do with Aldi or Lidl. I completely agree that it was moved away from the main thread as it was nothing to do with the good or bad buys at all, and it was making it difficult to find the info that is the whole purpose of the thread

I think the board guide did exactly the right thing to get the thread back on topic and keep to the main purpose of the thread for the benefit of most people.

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the board guide did exactly the right thing to get the thread back on topic and keep to the main purpose of the thread for the benefit of most people.

That may be so but I just wish the guide had moved it to the main section of the board, rather than hiding it away. As it is, the discussion has been killed.
    As it is, this thread is about buying, not simply buys. IMO we should be discussing the shortages and price rises we're experiencing.

No prunes in Aldi today for the 4th week running. Also no prunes now in Sainsburys even if I was prepared to pay their prices. ☹️
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    moonshine said:
    harz99 said:
    It would be better if the board guide stopped meddling, as obviously a shortage is a bad buy as In it ain't on the shelf to buy = equals not a good buy! 
    It wasn't just about the shortages though was it. It was a really off topic discussion about Brexit, the EU, their spite, customs unions and politics etc etc, which has nothing at all to do with Aldi or Lidl. I completely agree that it was moved away from the main thread as it was nothing to do with the good or bad buys at all, and it was making it difficult to find the info that is the whole purpose of the thread

Well the person who brought politics in wasn't me, once you open that angle others like me will respond. The answer would be to delete the "political" replies, not good information about products that are not available. Other than that I've no more to say on that subject except to agree with maman's latest post (again). 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I probably started it. I simply asked what people thought had caused the shortages. Sadly, I don't think we can avoid politics in this. Normally I'm the first person to complain if I think the SM is at fault but not this time. I think they're probably doing their best to fill their shelves. 
  • harz99
    Options
    Well not a lot of traffic here...

Anyhow Aldi seem to be sourcing more and more fruit from Egypt, the latest being some Grape varieties. I'm avoiding any fruit from Egypt simply because most ones I've tried have been poor quality that i've ended up binning. Also, the use by dates are quite ambitious in my view.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 June 2021 at 12:01PM
    Options
    New product in Aldi (Seasonal special) - 

- Moroccan-inspired Hummus & Yogurt Dip (name?) - a delicious creamy, spicy dip (same area, similar price to other Hummus)

I also noticed Vegan "Cheese" in Lidl the other day.  
  • harz99
    Options
    I went to portion up the 1kg Aldi salad potatoes that I bought yesterday morning into 3 x 333g (or as near as) only to find a distinct surplus at the end, total weight turned out to be 1.2kg. Supplied by G Holot of Israel, another new source... 
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    harz99 said:
    That's because this is the old thread moved to the 'Gone Off!' sub-forum. Latest thread is here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6269535/good-and-bad-buying-at-lidl-and-aldi-stores-please-dont-expire
  • harz99
    Options
    mac.d said:
    harz99 said:
    That's because this is the old thread moved to the 'Gone Off!' sub-forum. Latest thread is here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6269535/good-and-bad-buying-at-lidl-and-aldi-stores-please-dont-expire
    Is that an automatic thing to move threads with no posts for a few days then? 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    A bit odd to start a new thread but not close the old one (imho).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure