Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    robrymond said:
    Noticed on this weeks shop quite a few price increases, not so much on the meat but on veg and treats like chocolate and sweets as well as cold meats.
    A or L or both?
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    harz99 said:
    robrymond said:
    Noticed on this weeks shop quite a few price increases, not so much on the meat but on veg and treats like chocolate and sweets as well as cold meats.
    A or L or both?
    Sorry in Aldi that was. I'm a bit sad so know the regular prices of items and considering Aldi prices are quite static it is noticeable when they do change. 
  • harz99
    Options
    My Aldi shop this morning revealed no availability for Village Bakery "Both in One" loaves, and other gaps in the bread shelves as well, but more worryingly an increased amount of branded breads like Kingsmill 50/50. I do hope Aldi are not doing a Tesco and phasing out own brands thus nearly doubling the cost to us (89p versus 49p). Also in the frozen potato products the Champion own brand  has another one alongside called Four Seasons which I haven't noticed before...
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    harz99 said:
    My Aldi shop this morning revealed no availability for Village Bakery "Both in One" loaves, and other gaps in the bread shelves as well, but more worryingly an increased amount of branded breads like Kingsmill 50/50. I do hope Aldi are not doing a Tesco and phasing out own brands thus nearly doubling the cost to us (89p versus 49p). Also in the frozen potato products the Champion own brand  has another one alongside called Four Seasons which I haven't noticed before...
    There was a very low amount of own brand bread this week in our Aldi, we buy the own brand toastie bread for 45p. That said its the first week I've noticed it. Plenty of branded bread but maybe thats in good supply at the moment. I notice more branded crisps and treats in the middle aisle now since the pandemic started and less homeware.
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I find it hilarious that Aldi have Mr Kipling's Battenberg Cake next to the Holly Lane one. HL are made my MK! Yet see customers buying the MK one which is 30-45p more.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't buy Aldi bread and hadn't really noticed price rises. I need to look at my receipts to confirm. At the moment I'm focused on stock being available so I don't have to go elsewhere to complete my shopping list. I wonder how much is about stock availability/shortages/imports. 🤔 A branded choice would have to be an enormously good offer or something I really loved  for me to buy it. I often look at things like the rice pouches in the middle aisle and wonder why anyone would buy them compared with own brand or better still cook your own! 🤣
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    harz99 said:
    Also in the frozen potato products the Champion own brand  has another one alongside called Four Seasons which I haven't noticed before...
    I'm not sure about frozen potato products, but they've certainly had Four Seasons frozen vegetables for several years now.
    Stompa
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    There seemed to be lots of sliced bread of various kinds this morning.
    I got my malted rolls and wheat topped rolls OK.

harz99 said:
    I buy the Aldi toastie loaf (but have a full one in the freezer so didn't look at availability).
    If I can't get it at Aldi, OH gets the Tesco one.
    Are Tesco phasing out their own brand toastie loaf?

od244051 said:
    I find it hilarious that Aldi have Mr Kipling's Battenberg Cake next to the Holly Lane one. HL are made my MK! Yet see customers buying the MK one which is 30-45p more.

Maybe people aren't aware that the Holly Lane ones are made by Mr Kipling.
    Some people are brand conscious - even when they do know that the branded ones are made by the same supplier.

• harz99
    Options
    Stompa said:
    harz99 said:
    Also in the frozen potato products the Champion own brand  has another one alongside called Four Seasons which I haven't noticed before...
    I'm not sure about frozen potato products, but they've certainly had Four Seasons frozen vegetables for several years now.
    Ah okay, we don't buy much frozen veg as its just a standby for us, so I guess i've maybe not seen that brand before. 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robrymond said:
    I checked back on January receipts and all the regular things I buy in Aldi cost exactly the same as last Friday's shop including juice, chocolate and ham. I'll definitely be aware this coming weekend in case it's a very recent increase. 🤔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure