Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 129

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 18 January at 8:10PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.4K replies 188.6K views

Replies

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    30.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not tried Aldi's digestives (yet) but I do much prefer Tesco fig biscuits to Aldi's.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Aldi's digestive biscuits to the much-praise Tesco / Miss Mollies. I can't even say I'm a fan of the humble digestive but if I had to pick it would be Aldi for me.
    Now that you have opened that packet of biscuits, I much prefer Lidl's digestive (Tower Gate) to Aldi's, I would even put Asda own brand ahead od Aldi.
  • edited 4 March at 1:54PM
    StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 March at 1:54PM
    I've just opened a new packet of Almat Colour washing tablets. I'm pretty sure I've used them before without any problems, but today discovered at the end of a wash that one of the tablets remained undissolved in the washing machine drawer, which seems rather odd. Even when I put it in the sink and poured water on it it didn't seem very soluble. Does anybody know if they've perhaps changed the formulation?

Looking them up on the Aldi website, they're these:

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-almat-colour-bio-washing-tablets-18-washes-36-pack/4088600339450

and I'm very surprised to see them described as 'Bio', as there's absolutely no mention of this on the box itself, other than the fifth item on the ingredients list (in tiny writing) being 'Enzymes'.

UPDATE:
    Just discovered the reviews here, so it seems I'm not the only one suffering from this problem.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/almat®-colour-bio-washing-tablets/p/056325389517200#product-reviews
    Stompa
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    24.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've stopped using any sort of powder for this reason. I find liquid 'safer' and could recommend Lidl Formil or Aldi Almat. 
    P. S. Incidentally, when I'm in our holiday apartment in Turkey I use tablets (easy to transport as I don't wash much there). The locally purchased machine suggests, on the instructions, that the tablets go in the drum not the drawer. 
  • edited 4 March at 4:30PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 March at 4:30PM
    I always use the Lidl "2 in 1" washing liquid.   It seems to change packaging quite often, and sometimes there seems to be a choice between two levels of thickness (or could be gel vs. liquid).    It's also often on "weekend" offer.

It does the job without fuss or mess, and no need to buy Conditioner which is a bonus.   I did pick up a tub of stain remover when it was on offer to chuck in when I know there's likely to be a need for it.  
    ex Board Guide

• od244051od244051 Forumite
    994 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    maman said:
    I've stopped using any sort of powder for this reason. I find liquid 'safer' and could recommend Lidl Formil or Aldi Almat. 
    P. S. Incidentally, when I'm in our holiday apartment in Turkey I use tablets (easy to transport as I don't wash much there). The locally purchased machine suggests, on the instructions, that the tablets go in the drum not the drawer. 
    I also use liquid for that reason. Plus add a teaspoon of soda crystals as cheaper than limescale powder
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    maman said:
    I can see the reasoning for that suggestion as nearly all machines nowadays are cold fill only, heating the water occurring in the machine itself, therefore helping dissolve the tablet fully more easily.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of life's lessons, "new and improved" is always to benefit the retailer, not the customer....
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has any one else noticed that Aldi's packet Risotto rice have been discontinued?   They did both Chicken and Sundried Tomato flavours if I recall.   They were really nice for an occasional quick and easy "cheat" meal.

"It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

* I shall only get involved in new threads, once a dialogue has been established with the OP *