Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 130

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 18 January at 8:10PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.4K replies 188.6K views

Replies

• mikbmikb Forumite
    403 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    kathygrif said:
    Why do Lidl and Aldi do it ? They change suppliers/quality with little or no warning on the packaging

I understand your frustration, but the "brand" is still the same, so the packaging remains the same.

E.g "Brooklea" Low-Fat Yoghurt 6-packs up until a few months ago were coming from Muller UK in Shropshire. Then they went off the shelves for a bit, and returned but now made by TF Dairy, Telford. The same company are currently making Morrisons own-brand yoghurts.

I suspect part of it is trying to deal with price changes and supply problems caused by the B word.
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    994 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    kathygrif said:
    Why do Lidl and Aldi do it ? They change suppliers/quality with little or no warning on the packaging, most times keeping the old packaging !
    Today I bought some Lidl own brand Floralys Kitchen Towels 4 pack, they came in the same packaging as usual.
    When I got them home I noticed a "New and Improved" label. Comparing them with the old ones all I can see is that they have changed from 3 ply to 2 ply so not improved at all, definitely feel poorer quality and at the same price.
    Please Aldi and Lidl change the packaging for these so called New/Improved/Better/Best products that simply aren't so we are pre warned.
    I get the Lidl's Floralys Ultra kitchen rolls (2 pack). They were on a weekend offer a couple of weekends ago. Never had a problem with them. 
  • edited 5 March at 7:37PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 March at 7:37PM
    Lidl's Soup in a Cup have had a repackage, and I think the Tomato variety has lost its veggies and croutons.

Lidl's Muesli bars - the no added sugar varieties have been repackaged.

Lidl's Bran Flakes currently on offer at an implausible 45 - 49p.   (500g)
    ex Board Guide

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lidl's Soup in a Cup have had a repackage, and I think the Tomato variety has lost its veggies and croutons.

Lidl's Muesli bars - the no added sugar varieties have been repackaged.

Lidl's Bran Flakes currently on offer at an implausible 45 - 49p.   (500g)
    Pity, I bought a lot of this product but ultimately its not real food so its probably for the best. Price of the bran flakes makes up for it though :)
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pity, I bought a lot of this product but ultimately its not real food so its probably for the best. Price of the bran flakes makes up for it though :)
    I didn't check properly, but I would put money on the Lidl soups ending up as exactly the same flavours as Aldi:  plain Tomato, plain Chicken and Minestrone with veg, pasta and croutons.

Two out of three of those are okay (haven't tried the Chicken).  
    ex Board Guide

• od244051od244051 Forumite
    994 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they add more flavours to their cup a soups. Hate Minestrone with a passion. Sometimes its worth going to the other supermarkets/B&M type places,  to get different flavours. 

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't check properly, but I would put money on the Lidl soups ending up as exactly the same flavours as Aldi:  plain Tomato, plain Chicken and Minestrone with veg, pasta and croutons.

Two out of three of those are okay (haven't tried the Chicken).  
    Not keen on the Bramwell's Minestrone, completely tasteless (to me). But as I say, a net benefit to my health.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of bruised apples from Lidl at the moment.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Aldi oranges from Egypt are both tough to eat and contain a lot of pith/internal skin - good for juicing but not eating.

• robrymondrobrymond Forumite
    633 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Noticed on this weeks shop quite a few price increases, not so much on the meat but on veg and treats like chocolate and sweets as well as cold meats.