PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

Options

Comments

• SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning All
    -1lb for me this week, not brilliant but I was expecting a sts so I'm happy enough. Was doing okay yesterday until the last bit of Christmas pudding wrestled me to the ground and demanded I ate it ;)
    Well at least it's gone now. I'm also a knitter and it does help to keep those hands busy, especially in the evening.
    Today's plan
    B porridge and fruit
    L lo curry
    D pasta with a bit of pesto, yoghurt
    S cereal bar around 11

Have a good day all
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2019 at 10:17AM
    Options
    Good morning all,

I had an early night last night after the "eclipse" wakefulness of the night before and I feel much better for it today. I mentioned the running to make sure that the people with restricted movement don't think that they may lose less because they are unable to move about as much. Trust me it will work without the movement although if you're stuck in the house you could consider marching on the spot for a minute here and there. That's to strengthen your core though, and it helps to reduce aches and pains in your hips and legs once your core muscles are stronger and doing their proper job.

Welcome tessie bear, and well done for your weight loss so far. Of course you're welcome to post and receive support. You can join in any time if you think you're slipping. Hello K80 Black, well done to you too and it's lovely to talk to you. Please stick around and share any helpful hints that you have with us.

zafiro it's good to see you back in the fold! About the knee...if it's a replacement you absolutely have to do the physio afterwards. About the portion control - I've been studying the law of attraction lately. It says that you attract more of what you already have so if you think you have no control you get more of the same. If you think positive and say that you have control and that you will choose if you use it or not then you will gain more control. Worth a try huh? :D

Rose Wood I've been trying not to eat after a certain time at night as well (7pm in my case). I couldn't do without food first thing though as I get migraines if i skip meals.

dandy-candy Latvian mittens sound complicated. I've been making hats - some bobble hats, some plain. As soon as one person had a hat, they all wanted one. I've just finished the last so it's onto baby stuff next for my great-nephew who is due in May.

MrsLottie, that's a lot of walking, I'm in awe!. I reduced my daily steps to 5000 when my leg was bad and I'm still working my way back up. It goes up by a fair bit on running days though.

SIRENS well done, a loss is a loss, don't knock it. Two blocks of butter worth so that's great. We count in blocks of butter in our house as the HT had no idea what my weight loss meant when I was telling him in pounds. Blocks of butter is a good "visual" that we both understand :D

Take care all of you and have a good day :)
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

big5 ....................0/14
    Cranky..................0/11
    dandy-candy..........0/14
    Doing it my way.....0/10
    dumpling...............0/14
    Ginmonster............0/0
    monks...................0/10
    MrsLottie................0/10
    Munchin.................0/14
    Rose Wood.............0/7
    SIRENS..................1/14 :)
    zafiro1984..............0/14

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 1 lb :)
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    I knew I'd forgotten someone.....the menopause ship is in full sail here :D

dumpling, don't be disheartened. Your water levels are a bit ummm... well fluid I suppose is the word while your medication is still sorting things out. You've done really well so far and as for giving up sugar :eek: that must be so hard. It's in so many things in one form or another. It's a diabetic "thing" to crave sugar I understand (which has me slightly worried about my own inclinations as an overweight 51 year old) so I'm doubly impressed with your fighting spirit.

All things that I've read say that it takes 6 weeks to break a habit. That fits with a previous break up with an ex-boyfriend when I stopped wanting to strangle the git after 6 weeks and was back to my usual cheery little self. I have found though that even if I break a habit, as soon as I do the stupid thing again I'm right back to square one. Luckily this only applies to food related problems and not the ex-boyfriend. I definitely never went back to him :rotfl:

have you looked at the PinchofNom website? It has some good recipe ideas that fit in with most eating plans.
  • MrsLottie
    Options
    Thank you Cranky for your encouraging comments ,they do make a difference along with all the other posts they make me feel we’re not alone in our battle of losing the pounds. For portion control (a big battle for me too) I’ve bought a pretty ,oblong shaped plate and I can see clearly what is a half for veg , a quarter for carbohydrates and a quarter for protein. I’ve also bought myself a lovely little bowl for breakfast portions and for soup .Ive spoiled myself with buying these instead of spoiling myself with volume of food . Hope it works , so far so good , will let you know on Friday when I weigh in !
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you Cranky, that really helps :) and I have also had my share of stupid ex-boyfriends :o:D so hopefully I am about halfway through the most tricky bit.

My lovely youngest son has made a low fat shepherd's pie stuffed full of extra veg and only a thin topping of mash for dinner tonight. It smells gorgeous and is making my tummy rumble. I am finding it hard to stand today so it is so appreciated when my kids make dinner for all of us. It also helps them so that when they actually leave they will be able to easily fend for themselves. I was only ever allowed to bake when I lived at home so I was living on expensive convenience food when I moved out but soon taught myself to cook.

My food today looks like:
    b - toast, avocado and poached eggs
    l- salad and cottage cheese
    d - shepherd's pie, cabbage and carrots
    s - apple. tangerine

Hope you all have a great day xx
  • Rose_Wood
    Rose_Wood Posts: 867 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

It's not so cold here today, thank goodness. I've been to Pilates this morning and also had a short walk with my son, who then came to lunch. I'm planning a longer walk on my own this afternoon as husband is feeling a bit under the weather and doesn't want to come. The sun is shining now so it should be lovely being out. Lunch was homemade tomato soup - I had thought I'd pulled out carrot but was wrong! Tonight will be the rest of the low carb moussaka and vegetables from yesterday.

In an attempt to track how much cream I'm putting in my coffee I've put it in a tiny jug and when its gone then that is it for the day. I tend to make my coffee in a tiny espresso sized cup and that way I can have several over the course of a day. Otherwise I tend to drink water or, more often, weak squash.

I'm another that likes to keep my hands busy with a craft. I'm knitting a doll at the moment for my baby grand-daughters first birthday. Last year I made cross stitch cards for everyone's birthday but want to find a new idea for this year. I also crochet and did lots of hats for Christmas presents this year. My eight year old grand-daughter and I made paper at the weekend so I am thinking of ideas to use that now. I can crochet in front of the TV but normally prefer listening to podcasts on the computer so that I can concentrate a bit more on whatever my latest project is.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    I didn't manage to stick to the meal plan yesterday but that was only because I got distracted and let the tagine burn that should have been tea. I ended up with leftover pasta instead.

Today brekkie was porridge again, lunch was soup and bread followed by an apple and tea will be either a veggie burger from the freezer with lots of veg or a stir fry with noodles depending on how much I can be bothered to cook by the time I've got the 6 year old in bed.
  • Doing_it_my_way
    Options
    I've been inspired today by everyone's motivation and decided to walk. I cant run just yet as have a bad knee from falling down stairs 9 months ago but walking is ok. We didn't have any cereal this morning so had to have toast which isn't great as I had tuna sandwiches for dinner and beans on toast for tea but i did drink 5 glasses of water. I am just going to make some more bread and then get on with my next knitting project which is socks for dad's partner, it really does help having my hands busy it stops me craving....never noticed before ��
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Flippin freezing here!

B: multigrain cereal
    L: 2 slices of pizza, ice cream
    S: 2 slices of pizza and salad
    Snack: 1 digestive biscuit

Not great on the diet today. DH was at home and ordered a pizza for lunch. I've spread 4 slices across 2 meals, usually I would eat that much for one meal. Portion size is something I need to work on so I thought today was a good time to start.

I'm going to go to bed early again as I find reading takes my mind off eating!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure