Bank Locked Us In without consent False Imprisonment

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Me, as long as I didn't have to be somewhere else, urgently.

Well let's assume you did have to be somewhere else, urgently. What then?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    If you don't know what "ridiculous" means, please look it up. You'll find it's a perfect description of your comments.

Thanks. You understand now: it's okay to offer the opinion that my comments are ridiculous, but not to call me ridiculous?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. You understand now: it's okay to offer the opinion that my comments are ridiculous, but not to call me ridiculous?

It's the same thing. By making ridiculous comments you are being ridiculous. And yes, I do think it's perfectly OK to say that.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,434 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Open an account with a bank with no branches. Problem solved.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Ohhh I missed a doozy of a thread! Sounds like OP needs to chill.

Admittedly I may have been annoyed, but sheet happens. I'd have tried to find a spare member of staff and blag a cup of tea while I waited.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd have tried to find a spare member of staff and blag a cup of tea while I waited.
    I wouldn't mind betting that there'd be restrictions on boiling hot liquids being present during such cash movements....
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well let's assume you did have to be somewhere else, urgently. What then?

I might huff and puff a few minutes, I wouldn't come on here creating a ridiculous thread about it.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BTW EarthBoy: if you don't know what ad hominem means, please look it up. I'm fairly new on this forum but from the start I've noticed that ad hominem attacks are a significant problem. I guess it puts a lot of people off contributing.
    As some people might be unfamiliar with the term ad hominem I thought it might be helpfull to provide an example of where such a technique had been used:-
    Hi emilianozapata, you've obviously come to the wrong forum with this type of complaint. It seems to be stuffed full of people who are only here to ridicule and mock people with a genuine grievance. I'm not sure how this turns them on, but it obviously does....
    :whistle:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Can we wrap this one up now? Perhaps OP can let us know how he gets on with his court case - as long as he hasn't forgotten that for a False Imprisonment case to succeed he will likely have to show that it was done:-

a) without consent
    b) without authority
    c) without justification.

Point c) is probably the one where he would come a cropper.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really? That sounds quite dangerous, but I guess activating the fire alarm would automatically open all escape routes, or have the banks got their own arrangements for that basic safety requirement as well?
    Let's have a think here. Bank locks doors to safely move large amount of cash around. Member of armed gang who positioned themself inside the bank just before the doors were locked activates the fire alarm to unlock the doors and allow armed gang to enter the bank. Yup, I'm sure the bank's security advisors wouldn't have thought of that one at all. :doh:

You might be unaware, but many commercial premises have automatic links to the fire services so activating the fire alarm will initiate a call out. Many fire services charge a 'false alarm' fee, sometimes running to hundreds of pounds. In addition, a false call out could result in someone else having to wait longer in a genuine emergency. That could be you waiting for someone to cut you out of your wrecked car, or for someone to rescue your children as your house burns down. But I'm sure you would consider that entirely justified if it means someone doesn't have to wait a few minutes inside a bank. Setting off a fire alarm when there isn't an emergency would be gross stupidity.

Furthermore, the bank are quite likely to pass on the costs of the 'false alarm' charge to you. You are also likely to get a letter from them informing you that they consider your relationship with them to have broken down and inviting you to transfer your business elsewhere before they complete the process of closing your accounts down.

Hopefully whatever it was that was so urgent you couldn't wait a few minutes would be worth the potential costs and hassle resulting from such an ill-advised reaction.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport