Is there anything positive in being skint?

Comments

• moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Thanks for all the responses - I'm going to print these off and keep them on display so that when things are bad, I can remind myself that some good is coming out of all of this.

And it's timing couldn't be better either - had a big row with my OH tonight who came over (as men do expecting you-know-what) while I've spent the past 3 days living off porridge and water! I don't even think I have enough food to get beyond tomorrow, so tomorrow my breakfast, lunch and dinner will consist of porridge and water, followed by nothing to eat for 3 days until Thursday (which is pay day) and no means of getting into work now my bike is off the road and I'm skint and can't get it back from the repair shop. So, thirty miles of walking between Mon - Wed, meanwhile he expects me to be like a dog on heat tonight!! ARGH!!!

Righto, time to read over this list and repeat it like a mantra.

You are worth more than a bit of 'you-know-what'. If that's what he wants when he comes to see you - there are questions you should be asking yourself.

I remember when I was about 13, my mum had injured her hand and couldn't work. We were left with my gran's pension to live on. We had LOTs of porridge and fried onion sandwiches for a lot of days - so I know how you are feeling. All I can say to you is that porridge is good for you!
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We usually have noodles in the cupboard, pasta and tinned tomatoes so never got down to the porridge stage but teabags are a necessity along with looroll here! so big hugs to you.

Back to your question - I think I'm saving the planet - all those points for reusing bags, meal planning so no waste and less gas/electric being used. I now have space in the bathroom as I use up all shampoo, conditioner and shower gel before buying more. Due to ebaying like mad and buying less I have more space in my home... I've not told friends how much I owe but have suggested cheaper things to do rather than shopping or pub and not one of them has been shocked or said no - in fact they all seem to be pretty strapped for cash too and appreciate doing free stuff!
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    You appreciate those things that we almost always take for granted:
    warm bed to sleep in at night
    being able to use our legs to get around
    fact that we have health care which is free at the point of delivery
    nice weather

in fact, appreciating all the simple things in life which we so often overlook -

great thread!
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Being indebted and skint has
    1; made me agreat cook! Have tried loads of new recipes (from sunday papers) and can do great vegetarian stuff.

2; lost over a stone by walking (to save fares and parking fees) and swimming.

3; have discovered that cheaper moisturisers are just as good (looked at a woman at the pool with really lumpy legs smother herself in a £60 cellulite cream etc.....they DON'T work!)

4; taught myself how to do ebay.

Great post!!
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    to walk toshe shops as cant afford bus fare/car
    go to shops which do home delivery on food
    cant smoke as no money which is a good thing.
    dont waste water/gas/elec as cant afford the bill
    pay as u go mobile, top up every 2 months
    use toothpaste on the spots instead of a spot cream.......lol
    i will be debt free, i will
  • Hime
    Hime Posts: 75 Forumite
    Being skint and living on scraps made me realise how lucky I am to have had that experience. It is a place I do not want to go to again, but would be fine if it ever happened, because I would be a lot better at it.....
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Speaking from the other side of the fence now, when you HAVE paid off your debt you'll be able to take a lower paid job you really want. (If I get it ;) ).
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • m.colak
    m.colak Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Thanks for all the responses - I'm going to print these off and keep them on display so that when things are bad, I can remind myself that some good is coming out of all of this.

And it's timing couldn't be better either - had a big row with my OH tonight who came over (as men do expecting you-know-what) while I've spent the past 3 days living off porridge and water! I don't even think I have enough food to get beyond tomorrow, so tomorrow my breakfast, lunch and dinner will consist of porridge and water, followed by nothing to eat for 3 days until Thursday (which is pay day) and no means of getting into work now my bike is off the road and I'm skint and can't get it back from the repair shop. So, thirty miles of walking between Mon - Wed, meanwhile he expects me to be like a dog on heat tonight!! ARGH!!!

Righto, time to read over this list and repeat it like a mantra.

Hi just to let you now have posteded what problems i have had so far in another thread. The long and short is was over 8 weeks before they replied stating a 3 page letter that i ticked the box so must of been aware. Don't expect an answer before 8 weeks as they are rubbish. Advise as soon as it gets to 8 weeks get the FOS involved as HBOS don't care. My PPI complaint even went as far as an internal complaint with halifax and that just says everything. I'm sorry to tell you but you will have to fight this one. Don't expect an easy capitulation.

Matt:cool:
  • The issue I have with them is that their proof that I wanted PPI was by sending me my mail application for the card, except it's in someone else's handwriting! Whose that is, I have no idea! I've got every reason to think that the form is faked and their attempt to prove the unproveable. Some of the entries in the form are factually inaccurate, and they have already written back to me acknowledging that becuase the 'application' was made by post, they choose not to follow the ABI guidelines for selling PPI!!!! And that at the time it was taken out, the cover would not have covered me as I later found out to my cost.

Given the date that my PPI was mis-sold, the complaint probably doesn't come under the FOS remit (which is, I think, 2004 and after only - happy to hear from anyone else who knows exactly), so taking this through the legal system is my only way of resolving it - something I'm more than happy to do with the Hellifax.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • m.colak
    m.colak Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    If you do try through the courts though make sure you use the address for halifax in leeds/halifax as i made the mistake of using the card services address initially so it cost me an additional £40 to change the address and the halifax were very fast trying to dispute the whole amount whilst the address was wrong trying to get it thrown out of court. The only other thing i'll say is that check to see if your response from them is a generic response as it means that they haven't investigated your complaint correctly and even better if there is a printed signature at the bottom as it isn't considered legal because someone hasn't actually physically signed there name to the document. Get back to them quote the bloke directly and say you wish to speak to him and him only and if they don't then go higher and higher. Enjoy yourself i do when i have a go at them.

Matt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport