Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

edited 2 October 2019 at 5:27PM in Savings & Investments
766 replies 87.3K views

Replies

• caveman38caveman38 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Why does the service to check individual bank and building society individual account interest still not work. You used to open your account and then on a free tab paste https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings. That hasn't worked for some time - anyone know why?
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I managed to zero all the spurious accounts using that tool, a good thing as my actual interest was very close to £1K,  and it would have prevented my problem happening this year which in turn would have meant no need to contact them - a win all round.  Can't have systems that make tax affairs simple can we !
  • andy_poultonandy_poulton Forumite
    83 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    That was my original query. My PTA has been stuck in read only mode since 2019 and in tax years 2018 to 2019 and 2019 to 2020 they would not let me update it the online reply answer was too many errors.
    I now type it all out and have to post it.
    They have UNFROZEN my account and told me I owe £95 [they really owe me as I am well under the 1k for 2019 to 2020 but hey they go on and say it will be updated and refunds or request for more in 2020 to 2021.
    My wife had a refund of £203 in June following my letter to them with the accounts we had / she had [all joint]. They had 16 accounts [all old.] They said they were valid and gave me all the serial numbers all were 16 zeros. The advisor was surprised when I queried it on the phone. MMMM was the only comment and suggested writing in. After these updates on the forum I rechecked my wifes PTA she now owes £400 since the june refund???
    I rang them. Someone had revisited the PTA added in the new amounts to all the old amounts and a little bit more. They cleared it up with nothing outstanding whilst on the phone.
    WHO ARE ALL THESE HMRC PEOPLE CONTINUALLY GOING INTO OUR PTA'S AND FIDDLING?? WHY WHY WHY
    Did the nice lady that helped me get a bonus for saying I owed THEM [instead of owing me.] I only had £172 over payment [1172 interest recd total less my £1k allowance] so that was 2019 - 2020 [and still this year] although it will be well below that. So why £95 owing. It caused my TAX code to go UP [what!!!] yes up WITH A BIGGER ALLOWANCE.
    Just checked and it has been reset to 2019 to 2020 not calculated yet AGAIN.. It was 2 days ago she told me IT WAS FREED UP I checked It was. The new higher code IS STILL on there though!!

REALLY BONKERS

I have now given up for the year and wait .
  • youngretiredyoungretired Forumite
    418 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I had problems last year trying to correct my dads and husbands accounts, where they were over estimated. We finally managed to sort the figures out for 2018/2019 via complaints by getting all old accounts removed/closed (2017/2018/2019) and had submitted estimates for all new/existing accounts for 2019/2020 including the closure dates for all that had already been closed within 2019.

Then this week my husband had a tax code change and it is because they duplicated all the info we had given them, as asked by them last year with the same info given by the banks. For some reason their system does not pick up that the bank details are already on the system from being submitted by us. My husbands figures are still incorrect, but it has reduced the total by £700. So we are now just waiting for a letter from HMRC showing all the accounts they have listed for 2019/2020, so we can get the estimates for 2020/2021 changed as he does not owe any tax.

I therefore checked my dads and they overestimated his interest by £4000. I contacted them and they had 73 accounts recorded against his account and tried saying that they had these figures sent to them in October from the banks. I told them that that wasn't true as he doesn't hold 73 accounts only 25, so no way could a bank advise them of interest when the accounts don't even exist.

It would appear that the accounts that we had had removed from previous years had re-appeared along with the duplications. The thing with this is that in February this year after finally getting my dads account sorted, the online account correctly showed just the accounts he had. Also I contacted HMRC in September as the interest figure was showing incorrect under estimated tax (no tax code change) and so HMRC had already corrected the account by removing the duplications.

HMRC did finally manage to get the interest figure corrected to what we had provided before for 2019/2020 by me giving them all the accounts again that we had sent in, so they could delete all the incorrect ones (I did point out that they should have copies that were scanned onto the system when we sent them in with the complaint to refer to if needed). So my dad does not owe any tax for 2019/2020 or for this year as estimates.

HMRC did advise us to send in the estimates again for 2020/2021 and when I questioned how can we be sure that the duplications/re-appearance of closed accounts won't happen again, HMRC response was they can't guarantee it as their system software cannot be fully updated.

The problem with this system is that you get your account corrected and then it can all go wrong again. My dad is nearly 74 and without my help he would not know that he is being taxed too much. Like most people he would trust HMRC to only take the correct amount owed. 
  • talexusertalexuser Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That savings page from the paste link was useless anyway, except to see what they had on file for you. The majority of the items were never editable. Twice I phoned them, a couple of months apart, and laboriously corrected all the out of date amounts and closed accounts (a couple of years ago when we had all those bank accounts etc) and on both occasions within a couple of weeks all the incorrect and out of date info re-appeared online and changed the code back, thus trying to update was a waste of time. Now I'm on SA.
  • Thank you all for these replies.
    I take comfort only that we are [I am ] not alone and the CU's are running free.
    Cheers Andy
  • caveman38caveman38 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    talexuser said:
    That savings page from the paste link was useless anyway, except to see what they had on file for you. The majority of the items were never editable. Twice I phoned them, a couple of months apart, and laboriously corrected all the out of date amounts and closed accounts (a couple of years ago when we had all those bank accounts etc) and on both occasions within a couple of weeks all the incorrect and out of date info re-appeared online and changed the code back, thus trying to update was a waste of time. Now I'm on SA.
    It at least gave you details from which to prepare your argument when phoning. Now they fire bogus accounts at you which you have archive and give closure dates - which means another call, I assume
  • andy_poultonandy_poulton Forumite
    83 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    My PTA being frozen 'READ ONLY' [don't ask] means I cannot see anything remotely related to me. I have to keep all the hard copies.

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    talexuser said:
    You could alter the interest amounts at one time, worked for me.

• youngretiredyoungretired Forumite
    418 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Today checked my dads account to make sure all was showing correct and HMRC was now saying that he owed £817 tax and had earned £5000 in 2019/2020. This is getting frustrating, I therefore contacted them and they again corrected. Apparently what had happened is the 73 accounts listed are a mixture of closed accounts and duplicates, some duplicates were made 3 and 4 times.

I asked how can we ensure this doesn't keep happening and was told that it is because we are giving them estimates and then the banks are sending in actual figures. I said but you told us to give you the estimates and you won't take without account details? So next year we are just sending in the closure instructions for 2020/2021 and hopefully this won't keep happening.