Plotting for an early retirement - anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've read various studies which suggest 2-3 days per week working from home are optimal.

I'd think 2 days a week working from home would improve my enjoyment of work immeasurably but I wouldn't want to do it 5 days a week.

& here is me thinking 2 days a week from home is optimal....with the other days not working :rotfl:
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,637 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes that would do me.
    I have been a homeworker for 16 years but it is not ideal - just was very handy with DD. She is now 17 though. Also useful for the dogs but they are older now.
    My latest boss has today announced that he is dropping to 4 days a week so that will be interesting to watch. I was told I had to be full time for the role (same as boss but he's a 'principal' and I am a 'senior') and so I moved from 4 to 5 days to take it - some years ago.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Yes that would do me.
    I have been a homeworker for 16 years but it is not ideal - just was very handy with DD. She is now 17 though. Also useful for the dogs but they are older now.
    My latest boss has today announced that he is dropping to 4 days a week so that will be interesting to watch. I was told I had to be full time for the role (same as boss but he's a 'principal' and I am a 'senior') and so I moved from 4 to 5 days to take it - some years ago.

Ooooh I'm a "Principal"... not yet qualified for 4 days a week though!

Always interesting to see how colleagues get on with these sorts of changes. A number of mine have gone from 5 to 4 and then back again citing that they felt like they were expected to do 5 days work in the 4 days so they thought they may as well be paid for them!

I would find homeworking convenient for similar reasons. Plus I find 2-3 hours a day wasted sat in traffic extremely wasteful if not a little stressful.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    yep - husband leaves for work at 8, while I go and walk the dogs for an hour (although less at the moment as it is too warm for them).
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Not really an ITr, but a scientist.

Back in the day i used a terminal to access (via MS dos) an IBM 370 mainframe to process my data.

What took ages then, takes seconds now on my laptop (or even my phone!!) how the world has changed in such a short time.

My first paid programming job was using 370 assembler on a system that gave subsecond response times to 1500 terminals using 4 Mbyes.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    I really like this comment: "I am delighted that my skills are now commercially out-of-date". There's definitely no going back when that's the case!
    No, thank God.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    & here is me thinking 2 days a week from home is optimal....with the other days not working :rotfl:

& here is me thinking that 5 days a week from home (not working) is optimal.... with the other days (also) not working.

Happily retired. :)
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    Nah, my one day a week from home definitely feels better than two.
    DairyQueen wins though!
  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all, just a quick update from me.

My early retirement plans are kind of on track. The extra payments into the pension are going very well, but saving the money to bridge the gap between when I want to retire and when I can access my pension is proving more difficult. Life keeps coming up with new problems that need money to solve.

Also, I was hit by a car a couple of days ago while cycling and broke my left ankle in three places. I was already on the mini roundabout when they decided to join and just drove into the side of me trapping my left leg between their car and my bike!

Thankfully I am unhurt other than my ankle, and I also have good sick pay from work. Again though, let me remind people to retire early and enjoy life while they can, you never know what is around the next corner!
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    ouch - take care, and don't go back to work too soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback