Jolly JANUARY's NSD Challange!

Options

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,448 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    PS I've set a pretty low target for this month because I haven't done this challenge before and it is already nearly halfway through the month but am hoping to raise the target a lot over time.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Catching up a little...NSD 3 happened on Tuesday. Am hoping that today will be number 4.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Morning all, 2/8 for me today please. :)

I don't know if we need to explain what we're including and excluding? I'm not counting direct debits, bills etc or standard groceries (I get groceries delivered so no "impulse purchases"). I am including things I think of on the day that I simply don't need to buy (books, bars of chocolate, takeaway for lunch etc). It really helped me even yesterday as I would have bought something sticky and chocolatey at lunch if I hadn't said it was an NSD, but I evaded temptation, which is good, because I need to restrain my chocolate intake as well as save money. :)

I don't know if the above does or doesn't fit in with how people do this challenge? If I should be including groceries, for instance, pls let me know! :)
    Cathybird, there is no one way as people do different things. I do not include anything at all. If I spend in any way I don't count it as NSD as I did spend. Others work on a planned spending being okay but not unplanned. If it is working for you it is okay. I'm sure beanie will be along to clarify for you :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    6/15 NSDs for me. Reporting early as I won't be leaving the house today :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,448 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Cathybird, there is no one way as people do different things. I do not include anything at all. If I spend in any way I don't count it as NSD as I did spend. Others work on a planned spending being okay but not unplanned. If it is working for you it is okay. I'm sure beanie will be along to clarify for you :)

Thanks doingitanyway and that sounds fair enough. I figure groceries are a bit like bills, you pretty much have to buy them at some point, but all I order in are basics for each month, so I'd rather not include that. What I do need to keep a check on are the little things I buy on top of that, which includes some food but not food I need to survive :p
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NSD number 6 for me today.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,478 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning all, 2/8 for me today please. :)

I don't know if we need to explain what we're including and excluding? I'm not counting direct debits, bills etc or standard groceries (I get groceries delivered so no "impulse purchases"). I am including things I think of on the day that I simply don't need to buy (books, bars of chocolate, takeaway for lunch etc). It really helped me even yesterday as I would have bought something sticky and chocolatey at lunch if I hadn't said it was an NSD, but I evaded temptation, which is good, because I need to restrain my chocolate intake as well as save money. :)

I don't know if the above does or doesn't fit in with how people do this challenge? If I should be including groceries, for instance, pls let me know! :)

It is up to you.
    I dont count food or petrol unless I go over budget.
    Dont couny yoya or physio as essentials in my budget.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    PS I've set a pretty low target for this month because I haven't done this challenge before and it is already nearly halfway through the month but am hoping to raise the target a lot over time.

THat is a greet way to start off :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today makes 7/15 for me. Another one and I'm over halfway to my target :T but also nearly halfway through the month!
  • beanielou
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    Today makes 7/15 for me. Another one and I'm over halfway to my target :T but also nearly halfway through the month!

You are doing so we;; :) xx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure