Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ceiling done......:j:j. What a marathon. :rotfl:

Just had a snack, going to put on some slap and get out there and get some fresh air. I'll start the walls tomorrow. Have a break today.

Going to whizz over to Asda.......don't need much just some dairy and fruit and veg but I do need a bag of compost. May as well get it all from one place then maybe a mooch round a couple of chazzers although I'm supposed to be on a mega economy drive now. ;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 October 2019 at 1:38PM
    Options
    I'm desperately trying to keep my mouth shut on the subject of teachers but it's so hard as it's something I care passionately about. Speaking as an alchy teacher....Well not quite but it could easily have happened.:( MY DD is a teacher and she's just cut her hours for an experimental period. She can't really afford it but she needs to protect her mental health and she can't keep going with the 60+ hours a week she's doing now. Schools are in crisis. Thanks to Mr Gove, they have become exam factories with a narrow curriculum and on top of that they're trying to deal with an 8% cut in funding and slashed services from Local Authorities especially for children with special needs. :(:(:(

Back to fabbing….
    I picked up my Clarins Gift set from Boots yesterday so now I have a choice of using Flaxseed oil or serum depending on my plans for the day.

I couldn't agree more about the dancing LL. My dancing is not only good, physical exercise but because of many of the complicated figures we do (especially in the fortnightly advanced class) it's good for the brain too. I used to belong to a gym and I found it pretty boring especially the machines. My gym had a pool, sauna and steam room so that was relaxing and they did some good classes (I liked Pilates and Aquafit) but it was hard to go frequently enough to get my moneysworth.

Sorry you had a disappointing experience with the lad that was meant to help with the painting. That happened to us with a decorator we got from Checkatrade. He basically didn't turn up on the agreed day after we'd cleared all the furniture etc. DH ended up doing it himself. What made me cross was that as he'd not done any actual work I couldn't write a review on the website and warn off others who he might let down in the future. Do you use a roller for painting? That seems to help on large areas and it's far less backbreaking than with the beams.

It's bright and sunny here too so I think we'll try to get out for a walk and blow away a few cobwebs.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    It's funny as when I was taking my flaxseed supplement this morning I was thinking that I could try your trick Maman and use it on my face as a moisturiser. I will try it tonight.

It's absolutely lovely weather here, bright and sunny with a blue sjy but with a slight chill in the air.

I went for a walk and wore my skechers, navy dress, tights and my new Tu navy blue cable knit jumper over it. The cute young guy in the shop winked at me and called me darling when I went in there today.:D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MAMAN I'm so sorry to hear about Your Daughter. Teaching hours have always been ridiculous, but the pressure on teachers nowadays is horrendous. My best friend is a Primary teacher, who has always loved her job, but is now on the brink of a breakdown, and She has 20 years to go:(
    One of my late colleagues drank herself to death, due to the pressures of the job, and She was only 49:(
    I was glad to get out when I did, albeit without a pension, because I was doing supply then. I left to help nurse my Dad through prostate cancer, then became ill myself, and would never go back now.I did love the kids , but hated the paperwork :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • candygirl
    Options
    It's funny as when I was taking my flaxseed supplement this morning I was thinking that I could try your trick Maman and use it on my face as a moisturiser. I will try it tonight.

It's absolutely lovely weather here, bright and sunny with a blue sjy but with a slight chill in the air.

I went for a walk and wore my skechers, navy dress, tights and my new Tu navy blue cable knit jumper over it. The cute young guy in the shop winked at me and called me darling when I went in there today.:D

Ooh get You:rotfl: I'm at the stage now where I get called " Love" a lot:rotfl:

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lovely compliment for youWednesday .:T

ETA: I only use half a capsule of flaxseed on my face as a whole one takes ages to soak in.

I'm always pleased when someone talks to me as an individual and listens. I think that's because I speak with confidence and self assurance which as improved immensely since I joined this thread. Before I felt like an invisible bag lady. :(

We got out for a walk. The sun was lovely. We didn't do it today but I noticed there was one of the local health walks going on. I might do that another week as it's so easy to just stay indoors in the winter.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    MAMAN I'm so sorry to hear about Your Daughter. Teaching hours have always been ridiculous, but the pressure on teachers nowadays is horrendous. (

I think that’s true of a lot of jobs now. You can’t just do your job and go home. Employers want you to continually improve and develop your skills. No wonder there is so much ill mental health in the work place.

I’m full of cold and haven’t slept well for 2 nights now. We all need an early night tonight as OH has to be in work early tomorrow and it’s the children’s first day back following half term.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Options
    I'm quite self confident but I couldn't do that job, especially not secondary school age kids!

Most of them are great. Of course, it's a game of chess to start with and they suss out weaknesses very quickly.

I loved the subject and the kids, but the marking killed me, along with a bone-idle head of department.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • candygirl
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Most of them are great. Of course, it's a game of chess to start with and they suss out weaknesses very quickly.

I loved the subject and the kids, but the marking killed me, along with a bone-idle head of department.

I had one of those too. He used to ask me what we were teaching certain year groups, every week :rotfl:

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    The guy from the shop is pretty damn fit as well. :cool: I was quite flattered. Dark hair with very blue eyes, about 25 years old. OMG I'm a cougar.:rotfl:
    maman wrote: »
    Lovely compliment for youWednesday .:T

ETA: I only use half a capsule of flaxseed on my face as a whole one takes ages to soak in.

Oh, okay. I will keep that in mind. I forgot to do it tonight (of course!) but I will leave the flaxseed oil capsule out and do it when I get in tomorrow.
    chanie wrote: »
    I think that’s true of a lot of jobs now. You can’t just do your job and go home. Employers want you to continually improve and develop your skills. No wonder there is so much ill mental health in the work place.

I’m full of cold and haven’t slept well for 2 nights now. We all need an early night tonight as OH has to be in work early tomorrow and it’s the children’s first day back following half term.

Aw, feel better soon.xx

I think that is right now as it seems like there is so much pressure on people in the workplace.
    pollypenny wrote: »

It's weird but I think I would be okay teaching sixth form students or uni students but I think secondary school kids would intimidate me the most.:D

It's awful as I remember the Biology teacher I liked that I mentioned earlier started crying in the class once as we just were chatting and ignoring her completely. It makes me feel really guilty now.:o I was in the top class as well so heaven knows what the other classes streamed below me were like with her. Kids can be so obnoxious!:( I heard the bottom classes were much more rowdy than we were.:o

It sounds awful putting it that way, but that was the way we were taught. Everyone knew what academic group you were in.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure