Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good evening everyone......

Well over the last week or so I've just been in the wars.......first of all it was pain in my shoulder and arm, then my legs and back, then my neck and a blinding headache and then finally this afternoon a vicious IBS attack.:rotfl: so, as you can imagine I've not done much. Anyway hopefully that's it for now.

B&Q are doing their 3 for 2 on all paints so I picked up a load of taster pots and have been trying to decide on my colour schemes. I think I've worked it out now so will stock up this week. Then at least I will have the paint in for when I'm ready. I have also decided to stop being a hero and buy in some help, at least for the ladder work. . It might mean no fancy holiday next year but tbh I'm not that fussed on travelling at the moment anyway. I would rather concentrate my efforts (and money) on getting the house finished.

SUgarbaby well done on your shopping bargains. Sainsbury's have sent me a voucher code for £20 off an online shop if I spend £60. So I think I might just give it a try. I've never done one with Sainsbury's but it might be useful for a winter/Christmas stock up although I do have quite a stockpile.

Call me old fashioned but I do like to actually physically go in a shop and buy stuff myself, clothes as well as groceries. I have had mixed results buying clothes online. Some nice things but also some have been very disappointing. Like you Wednesday I ended up just donating them without even wearing them. It's put me off buying online a bit.

A funny thing......I have an open fire in one of my reception rooms and I am trialling smokeless coal. I thought I would look at buying it in bulk over the summer when it was supposed to be cheaper. The cheapest I've found it online was £6.25. I'm currently paying £4 from either Aldi or Asda - same make, same quality, same sized bag. Just goes to show you really do have to shop around.

Anyway not much news.....felt too awful to do anything exciting. :rotfl: granny duty tomorrow so that will be nice. He's 16 months now and getting to be more interesting...... :D. I don't mind small babies as such but I do prefer them when they start becoming little people. Much more fun. ;)
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    Lessonslearned ... I use solid fuel in my stove and find Hardwood Briquettes and a fire log are excellent. I only use 2 hard wood briquettes. The heat is amazing, there clean and easy to store. I find coal dirty by comparison.
    The local farmers coop do great deals. If I was to use coal it would be more expensive.
    I found the price of coal cheaper in a solid fuel merchant. Usually a good deal cheaper the high Street.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Thanks SFT I noticed the fire logs and briquettes, wondered what they were like. It said they were smokeless too so I'll give them a go as well. Yes coal is messy so something cleaner would be nice. I'm still at the experimenting stage, learning as I go along.

I actually have a pile of hardwood ready to be cut up so I'll definitely use that too. It was free.:D

Feel a bit better this morning.....just a bit "fragile" now.:rotfl:

Rain, grey and miserable here.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    What a horrible rainy day it is!

I went to the shop and got soaked. I wore my pink M&S jumper over my black maxi dress and my new biker jacket and my skechers.

I just bought a few things in the Tu sale. Two mini skirts, two jumpers and some leggings. I also got a claret coloured jumper for my husband. Everything for me was either black or navy blue. There's a surprise!:rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better today LL.:)

Shame about the trenchcoat Wednesday. You'll just have to keep looking until you find something to suit.:( Are you handy with a needle? It should be fairly straightforward to take in the PJ trousers. I like comfortable but not clown trousers!:D

The weather did turn out really horrible yesterday despite a good forecast earlier in the week. It didn't stop my friend and I having a brilliant day out though. We loved the Pre-Raphaelite women exhibition. After lunch we went to see Witness for the Prosecution. It's an Agatha Christie courtroom drama but what made it special was it's being performed in the old council chamber at County Hall. It's a fantastic setting. Then we had a drink in the bar at the Mercure which is in another part of County Hall. Eyewatering prices for a G&T but we enjoyed it.:D Fortunately the rain had stopped by early evening so I had a bit of a stroll before getting my train home. :)

I wore my Zara maxi dress with a long sleeved black top and leggings underneath then my quilted black 'biker' style jacket over the top. I saw loads of people in those teddy bear coats so I think I'm definitely going to buy one although not sure whether to go for the Peacocks one.

We've got football tonight (yet another rearranged game:mad:) so today I'll be dressing for the weather. ;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I am still feeling a bit rough and I'm on my last day of antibiotics. I am just having a pyjama day today.

I will do a hair treatment, pore strip, face mask and deep moisturiser on my face later today.
    maman wrote: »
    Shame about the trenchcoat Wednesday. You'll just have to keep looking until you find something to suit.:( Are you handy with a needle? It should be fairly straightforward to take in the PJ trousers. I like comfortable but not clown trousers!:D

No, I'm useless at sewing. I will just donate them.:D:p

I was saying on here the other day how much I hated doing sewing in Home Economics at school.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

No, I'm useless at sewing. I will just donate them.:D:p

I was saying on here the other day how much I hated doing sewing in Home Economics at school.

Seems a shame as the top fits but now I remember you taking something to be altered professionally.

Hope you feel better soon, sometimes one course of antibiotics isn't enough. :(
  • lessonlearned
    edited 25 October 2019 at 4:09PM
    Options
    Good afternoon lovely ladies.

Thanks Maman.....yes I feel much better now. Your day out sounds fab. I love Pre-rephaelite women. When I was a teenager I copied the look - long flowing hair, wafting around in medieval style frocks......:rotfl:

Wednesday hope you pick up soon. Anti-bs aren't nice - have a nice easy day, keep warm and get some rest.

It's truly horrid here, grey, wet, miserable. I'm wearing a bright pink sweater....think Barbie pink:rotfl: I felt I needed Colour to cheer me up.

Nipped to B@Q bought loads of paint whilst it's on offer (3 for 2). Saved myself £69 so well chuffed. Popped into Sainsbury's, had a mooch round the clothing - 25% off. Didn't buy anything for myself but did pick up an Icelandic style knitted coat for my grandson - fleece lined so nice and cosy.

Ran into a friend so we had a coffee and a natter. That's it now - feet up, a nice easy supper and curl up with a book and Netflix. :D. I'm off out tomorrow so that wretched ceiling can wait until Sunday. :rotfl:

The lad who was scheduled to come tomorrow to help has let me down:mad: I'll just grit my teeth and do it myself. I wont be giving him any more work. He's blown it. He thought he could pick and choose the nice easy jobs.............what he didn't know is that I would probably have given him a bonus for doing the ceiling, .his loss.

I'll finish the dining room for Christmas and then have a good break. I might even engage a decorator for the last couple of rooms - speed things up a bit so i can get it all ship shape.

I hated sewing at school too - The nun who took us for needlework was vile, I loathed her. She was particularly vicious to my friend who was left handed, forcing her to sew with her right hand. :eek: A truly horrible woman.

I never even finished one garment in the four years spent in her class and yet at home I sewed all the time. ;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    maman wrote: »

Hope you feel better soon, sometimes one course of antibiotics isn't enough. :(

Thanks.xx

I hated sewing at school too - The nun who took us for needlework was vile, I loathed her. She was particularly vicious to my friend who was left handed, forcing her to sew with her right hand. :eek: A truly horrible woman.

I never even finished one garment in the four years spent in her class and yet at home I sewed all the time. ;)

I had the same experience at school, although she wasn't a nun. She was a total bully and everyone was scared of her. She was one of the most horrible people I have ever met.

She must be dead now, thinking about it.:rotfl::T
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 October 2019 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Needlework, please, gels!

With Miss Griffiths we had to measure our tacking stitches. Made a picket apron in the first year, then something always referred to as 'the garment' in the second:

an enormous pair of knickers in green gingham to match our school dresses!

I bought more material and made a top, so that it became baby doll pyjamas.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure