Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again - Page 214

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

edited 3 April 2019 at 11:33AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 258.1K views

Replies

• edited 15 August 2019 at 8:58AM
    mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 August 2019 at 8:58AM
    Wow! Lots of posts since I last visited...and that was only yesterday!:D

I'll just dive in too. :)

As ever, I'm sitting up extra straight while I'm typing. Just one mention of the P word from LL and I'm like a meerkat!:D

I realise that for many people money is tight so when it comes to spending on ourselves we have to prioritise. If I was in that position, I'd prefer, in general, to either save up or spend a little on second hand at charity shops than have lots of cheap things. That doesn't mean that the odd purchase from Primark or Sainsbury's (offer on at Tu currently;)) or Matalan doesn't lift the spirits.

So, if money is really tight just allowing yourselves some time to do the basics of hairwash/blow dry and shower is a start. From there perhaps some cheap products like moisturiser from Lidl or Aldi and keep your nails neat all helps. We have to start somewhere. :)

What I wouldn't buy at the CS is underwear and here I am prepared to splash out... to an extent. When I lost weight (fortunately just in my back measurement but not in cup size:D) I went to an independent for bra measuring. If not John Lewis or M&S and I think Debenhams do it too. When I knew my proper size I did splash out on one new one but after that, knowing my size, I checked TKMaxx regularly for that size. You have to try them on as styles and brands vary but you can get a quality bra for a fraction of the full price. I suppose trying on until you find a size/style that suits from the supermarket might be just as effective.

With knickers I used to be happy with M&S until they discontinued the style I liked then reintroduced them in multicolour packs which I didn't want. So now I buy my pants in Victoria's Secrets. They usually have an offer for 5 for £25 or similar but you can choose your own.

I think you're making an excellent start cat. I'm a recent convert to eyebrow tinting and it's brilliant! I agree with LL that you should start with a lightish shade (depending on your natural colouring) and work darker. I think both waxing and tinting gives me a much more wide awake look.:)

Plumber and tiler here again but weather is much improved and my mood with it. We're going out for lunch today so we get to escape.:D
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did order that Clarins face cream in the end as they sent me an offer. I hope it is okay as I'm not 25 years old anymore.;)

I have got an offer from Aveda as well, order £40 of stuff and get a mystery gift worth £40 free...
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Wednesday - I hope that you have not developed a cold, look forward
    reading about the new dresses.

It didn't develop (I think it was just the rain making me feel chilled) and I went for a 30 minute walk yesterday and felt a lot better afterwards. I luckily managed to miss the rain as well on my walk.

I wore my new black and white Skechers, very comfortable.:cool:
    maman wrote: »
    That doesn't mean that the odd purchase from Primark or Sainsbury's (offer on at Tu currently;)) or Matalan doesn't lift the spirits.

I just made an order from TU as so many people on this forum rate their clothing.:)

I got a bit carried away as the sale had quite a lot of things I wanted.:o:D

I got two vest tops, four nighties, two dresses and a coat! Less than £90 and next day delivery, pretty good. Everything in blue or dark grey.:)
  • crazy_cat_ladycrazy_cat_lady Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the welcome and the advice LL (and everyone else). I am going to do my very best to take better care of my appearance. I think my posture is something that I definitely need to work on - I can get a bit hunched when I'm stressed. I'm pleased that the brows are a good place to start. I've been for my patch test and will bear in mind what you said about the colour. I am very dark haired but pale skin naturally, and have a bit of a fear of ending up looking like I have a couple of slugs sitting above my eyes as seems to be the fashion with the young 'uns these days.
    I think my hands will always be a bit of a mess if I'm honest. I'm a chemistry teacher so I spend a lot of time using chemicals, using gloves and washing my hands. I use moisturiser but other than that I can't be doing with nail polish etc and my nails can get a bit brittle.
    Operation fix my face is underway. As is operation 'get a bit slimmer' so I am on my way. Need to make this all a habit first before I go completely wild.
    NST September #8
    Working hard to pay off my debt
    New start after lockdown
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Diving back in after a few months out, been working 7 days a week and will be for a while more, so just starting to get back into a decent routine. We've moved house along the way as well, so things have been tres manic.

I think I said a while back I couldn't get my hair coloured at the hairdressers as they deemed it too dry, but that I got a lot of the broken and uneven hair trimmed down? Well, it's been a few haircuts since then and it is much more even and in better condition, although still not perfect, there are bits that need a bit more trimming as they only get done every other trim to allow my hair to level out.

However, overall it's much, much better than it was so I'll be having my usual trim tomorrow hopefully, and then will be investigating the hairdressers in the new town in the next few weeks to look to get my hair properly coloured again. I've avoided the past breakage by just dying and toning my roots and not lightening them, but it does mean the colour is far from perfect. It's been a willing sacrifice to improve the condition, though.

One thing that is playing havoc at the minute is my skin, the past week or so my diet has literally been chock full of healthy, nutritious food and water/squash, so if anything I would have thought my skin would be looking good, but this is not the case. I've had a few large sore spots pop up and a general spattering of smaller ones, so I'm not sure if my skin is doing some weird detox of itself, or whether my skin routine needs examining. I'm using my tried and trusted products, nothing has changed.

Been experimenting too, with some more colourful pieces to add to my wardrobe, I got a few pieces online from the Next clearance, including an ombre top and an ochre skirt, both of which look really nice on, and nothing like my usual wardrobe style.

That's enough waffling for now, just showing my face again x
  • clippy_girlclippy_girl Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    HI all

SSDD23 I find that that when I cut junk out of my diet my skin always comes out in spots for a few weeks :( it clears up then though.

So I have some news! I am moving to New Zealand! :j hopefully in about 9 weeks. I have a job there and will be shipping most of my stuff over. So currently having a clear out of stuff I don't need!

Will be a good opportunity to de clutter toiletries and think about what I actually need and like. Will need to find a new day cream as mine is only 15spf. I would be obv wear proper lotion if I was properly out in the sun but could do with a 50spf to wear to work under makeup. I have a tiny sample of kiehls spf 50 so will see how I get on. I guess they will have more choice over there.

I'm annoyed I've not lost weight though as going to buy whole new work wardrobe as it's smarter (and much better paid) so would be nice to get smaller sizes. However I'm not making the mistake of buying stuff to slim into as it always looks awful :rotfl:
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    congratulations clippy_girl that's amazing!
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Morning all!

Very pleased yesterday, stopped in Sainsbury's on the way home from work last night to pick up some pieces, and thought I would check whether they had an item of clothing I spotted a few weeks ago in stock in my size, the online website reminded me of their 25% off, but the item I wanted was out of stock in my size. Anyway, popped in and there were plenty, so came away with something I'd had my eye on, 25% cheaper. It's like a mix between a blazer and a cardigan, and very cosy but quite smart-looking, too...

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Grey-Textured-Ponte-Blazer/135501110-Grey?searchTerm=:newArrivals:colour:Grey&searchProduct=

Must close down the tab now as I keep seeing more things I like :rotfl: I do think grey goes quite nicely with a lot of other soft colours, so quite versatile as long as the rest of the colours don't make it look too dull! It's the kind of thing I would probably team with a vest, some jeans and some boots.

Crossing my fingers that the hairdressers isn't busy later as it's walk-in, will decide whether I have a dry cut or a wash, cut and blow dry based on how busy it is, I love having my hair dried by someone else but I only have a limited time for my lunch break.

Cloudy and miserable here today, hope it's sunnier elsewhere! :)
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning lovely ladies.

congratulations Clippy Girl. How exciting. Wishing you lots of luck. Hope you keep in touch and let us know all about your big adventure.

SSD3. I agree, it sounds like your new regime us working and that your body is doing a natural detox. Your skin should settle. Drink plenty of water to help eliminate the waste quickly, maybe give yourself a few facial massages to help the flow of lymph.

CCL ....sounds like you need to feed your nails a bit, use a strengthening conditioner before you go to bed. That way it gets chance to work overnight.

Wednesday......sounds like a good haul there from Sainsbury's for £90. :D. I did a similar thing in ASDA. I bought some cookware, some sleepwear and some sandals.

I need to start stocking up on autumn/winter knitwear and I do like Sainsbury's for that so I might pop in today and see what they have.

A bit chilly here still and rain forecast again......hope it's not too much, because although the flood water has receded the ground hasn't really dried out yet. I'm hoping it dries a bit over the next few days so,I can rescue some of the smaller shrubs and move them to drier ground otherwise they will rot. Then I need to see what can be done to improve drainage in that area.

My shoulder and neck are playing up again too so,enough typing.....
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great news clippy. Well done on getting the new job....and a new life!:T Do keep us posted. It'll be interesting to hear what the fabbing scene is like in NZ. :)

It's absolute chaos here today. Because we're having other pipework done as well as the bathroom, they've taken out some kitchen units and someone is digging a trench up the driveway and tiler is on his way to hopefully) complete his bit of the job. So that's a plumber, tiler and a man with a digger. Housework really isn't my thing but I'm desperate to reclaim my home. The dust is everywhere! DH and I are promising ourselves a huge spring clean when they've gone. :)

I'm just about keeping myself looking presentable but it's not easy. ;) I've booked to have my hair cut on Monday. It's not as light as it was when the sun was shining but I'm leaving the highlights for a few weeks. It's worked well the last couple of times to go back a few weeks in, either for a blow dry for a special occasion or just to have my fringe trimmed. That little bit of tidying up extends the cut for a few more weeks.

It sounds like many of you have been busy shopping either online or in store. Why am I not surprised at all the navy blue Wednesday!;)

I'm planning to escape to do my food shop shortly. I'll be calling into Sainsbury's so may be lured by the Tu bargains.:D
  • sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Clippy Girl. :D I hope your move to New Zealand goes smoothly for you and that you soon settle into your new home and your new job :D