* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hiya all
    I’m still buying :eek: after I swore no more!
    I have reined myself in considerably though and have bought little odds and ends rather than just buying stuff for the sake of it.

I ordered some tea from OH from Ireland after he dropped a hint about loose tea :D I’ve also got him some Irish teabags. He’s now going to have enough tea/coffee to last him the rest of the year :rotfl: However not a drop will go to waste, he will use it all. At the last count he’s got- a giant box of Bewley’s normal teabags from my mum, a smaller box of Bewley’s Dublin morning tea from me, a bag of Bewley’s loose tea from me, a bag of Bewley’s ground coffee from me, a jar of Bewley’s instant coffee from my mum, a bag of Ringtons Northumbrian tea from me, 2 boxes of Whittards Earl Grey teabags from me and 3 boxes of Fortnum and Masons Irish breakfast tea from me (OH is part Irish- is it that obvious :D)

My mum also dropped the worst hint ever about Molton Brown shower gel :D so I got a cracking deal on 3 bottles from QVC. To even up my dad’s gifts, I spotted a Brut shower gel and deodorant set in Asda when I was in there with mum the other day and she told me she hadn’t bought him one yet so I snapped it up, along with a mini body spray tin and lip balms set for my friend. While in there I spotted that they had Cookie Monster men’s pjs again- I bought some for OH last Christmas and he absolutely loved them- he wears them all the time so I bought him some more. Someone also posted on Facebook about the two new Simple Minds CD’s that were out- I try and buy him CD’s of the stuff he likes for when he’s in the car on his own, as when I’m in there I tend to take over :rotfl: so I picked up both of them- one in Asda and one in HMV today.

Had a bit of a disaster elsewhere though- I had bought him a gorgeous Guess watch to give him on the morning of our Civil Partnership in February and sent it off to be engraved. When it came back I realised I couldn’t set the time on it so I took it into the shop to see if they could- and the dial was faulty! I was in floods of tears as this shop had also sold OH a faulty engagement ring last year so I said enough was enough and I demanded my money back. I thought I might struggle to find anything else as my budget wasn’t huge but I managed to find a gorgeous Citizen Eco-Drive for £118 on Very- and I’ve put it on Buy Now Pay Later so I can pay it off a bit at a time.

I’ve also solved the problem of his joint birthday/Valentines Day/ Civil Partnership gift. First I was going to buy him an XBox One until he inadvertently let slip that he didn’t want one under any circumstances. Back to the drawing board then. I then thought about a Kindle but while he said he wouldn’t mind trying one at one stage he didn’t like the idea of them (no, I’ve no idea either) While reading the paper yesterday I spotted that Simple Minds were going on tour next year. So I’ve bought him tickets to the gig in Leeds (there were only two on Saturdays- and I figured Leeds was nearer than Glasgow) and it’s a special soundcheck experience- premium seats, access to a soundcheck and Q&A with the band, a poster, gift and lanyard. I’ve booked us into the Malmaison and I’m going to try and organise first class train travel nearer the time. It was obscenely expensive but hopefully worth it..!!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • junior_j
    junior_j Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all!

Thanks for your lovely , kind comments. Yeah being in and out of hospital constantly sucks, to be brutally honest I was put on anti depressants roughly six weeks ago. I never , ever wanted to go on them , however thankfully they are having a positive effect.

I got employer of the month at work today , first time in the two years I've been there. It was for handling a horrific situation perfectly.

£50 and name on the wall for a month.

I've picked up a few more presents and I've been super naughty and given mum two of her presents. A sloth sock kit and find the sloth book ( where wally style )

I feel like I've got a good amount of small gifts / stocking fillers but nothing big or like wow.
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
  • Joyfullyfestive
    Options
    Hi all,

I havn't been in for a few weeks, been super busy with overtime at work and my blog. Couldn't let the 50 days until Christmas mark pass by without checking in though! So excited!

I have read back and everyone is doing so well on their shopping. I have got loads of decorations but not much in the present department, just a few bits round the sides. But I'm going to be sorting that this afternoon as I'm going on a major shopping expedition. That is also one of the reasons I wanted to drop in and pick up all your tips, I have written them all down so thanks to everyone who has mentioned offers. Need to get organised - 7 weeks tomorrow!

I'm also really excited that Christmas fairs are starting as I really love finding items made by small makers. Bought some lovely things from some Etsy sellers recently, never done this before but I'm so pleased with them, def will be seeking out more in the future.

Congrats junior_j on employee of the month, £50 is a great reward.

Be safe everyone if you are going to fireworks displays tonight.

Will report back on how I get on with my shopping.

JoyfullyFestive
    :santa2: Joyfullyfestive all year round. Instagram: @joyfullyfestive :santa2:

Options
    Congrats junior_j on employee of the month, £50 is a great reward.
    JoyfullyFestive

Thank you Joy. I'm glad you mentioned etsy as I love some of the things I've seen but never knew if it was as good as some of seemed. I also love Xmas markets.

Tesco have a big half price sale on , lots of really good stuff , I was quite impressed.

Picked up more presents today

A bottle of the red wine my mums best from loves (she's like a second mum to me )
    A sausage dog cup from Asda (£1.50) for mums stocking (she's an avid coffee drinker)
    Lovely Jim jams for my mum from Asda (she needs/wants new pjs ) £10.
    Gingerbread glittery gin as a joint present to family friends.

Now I've got slightly bigger items I'm feeling happier.

Have a good Wednesday for tomorrow all x
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know if Superdry do anything for Black Friday? Wondering whether to wait it out for the items I need.
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Added to my stash today - Tub of twiglets, bag of pretzels, mini marshmallows and some hot chocolate sachets. I'm very excited already!!
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Beshki
    Beshki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ordered my first couple of pressies! Cutting right down this year so not very much to buy :)
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 November 2019 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Happy Birthday mrsinvisible :bdaycake:

JJ congrats on getting employee of the month :T

time seems to be flying by and I'm feeling a bit behind with my xmas planning

Had some money off shop vouchers from ocado so used this weeks £15 one and got in some bits for xmas including some cadburys gingerbread choc

Tesco have advent calendars for £1 this week so got the galaxy & maltesers ones for the kids

Snapfish have some offers on including a free photobook(p+p is £2.99) so ordered on of those for the kids to give to their nan.

Anyone have much experience of buying from amazon? dd ordered something this morning supplied by a seller not amazon and got a message and hr or so later to say its been dispatched she then got another message after lunch to say there was a problem with the order when being picked and its been cancelled as the item it now oos yet its still showing as available to purchase? She not sure whether to try re buying it as she cannot find it anywhere else or to leave it and wait till she gets refunded?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • lykkelig
    lykkelig Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Today is the day that my shopping, planning and prep starts. I've planned for years to rid of the commercial advent calendars and today invested in a wooden one with pullout drawers.

I've bought chocolates for the stockings, titled and underlined a page in my house wife's planner - all systems go!
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
  • Redredrobin
    Options
    Sorted the secret Santa out apparently she drinks gin so got a nice gift set paid a little more than the £5 limit but not too much .

Got our itinerary for the Dutch/German Christmas markets today it all looks OK although i expect to sleep for days after we return lol .

We are having a massive pre Christmas sort out today , well hubby is as he collects the most stuff !

I don't think i have ever been this organized i must have forgotten something !:think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure