*sigh* this may take a while

edited 19 September at 9:55PM in Debt Free Diaries
850 replies 78K views

Replies

• ohdearhowdidthathappenohdearhowdidthathappen Forumite
    729 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Not sure if I'm repeatinf myself, but t's cost the best part of £1k to get the 5 children set for school next month.  They all needed everything as they haven't worn uniform since March and have all grown.  2 of them are transitioning schools too, necessitating a complete overhaul.
    Secondary schools seem to rely on parents much more for books, my daughters A-level books have cost nearly £100.  I checked ebay etc beforehand, but the specific ones she needed weren't available, so had to go for new.  They also have to wear 'business like attire'.  
    I had £500 set aside, so was caught a bit short.  Will be putting less in savings this month to cover the rest.
    Debt Dec '18 £45393. Debt free June 2020
    New savings goals: House renovations £0/£15000, FFEF £0/£15000
    Mortgage June 2020: £340K, aim to OP £100 per month minimum.
  • crunchy_timecrunchy_time Forumite
    90 posts
    10 Posts
    Not sure if I'm repeatinf myself, but t's cost the best part of £1k to get the 5 children set for school next month.  They all needed everything as they haven't worn uniform since March and have all grown.  2 of them are transitioning schools too, necessitating a complete overhaul.
    Secondary schools seem to rely on parents much more for books, my daughters A-level books have cost nearly £100.  I checked ebay etc beforehand, but the specific ones she needed weren't available, so had to go for new.  They also have to wear 'business like attire'.  
    I had £500 set aside, so was caught a bit short.  Will be putting less in savings this month to cover the rest.
    Oh my word!  Thanks for the heads up!!  Mine are still in primary school and I have heard that trips are expensive but hadn't thought of uniform and books!  Hope you are able to use some stuff as hand me downs at some point!
    Crunchy x
    Vet bill - was £450 - now £266
    Winter 2019/2020 -  was £1354 - now £998
    Course fees - £2700
    Summer 2019 - £2200
    Overspending 2018 - £4488
    19/8/20 - Total Consumer debt - was £11,192 now £10,652 Emergency fund - currently £3502

729 posts
    ✭✭
    GCSE results.... is it the norm to give financial rewards?  My OH thinks we should give our DD a reward for doing well in her GCSEs next week, he's suggesting £250.  I was '!!!!!!?'.  What for?!  I was thinking more a celebratory takeaway and maybe £50 so she can buy herself a treat. 
    Opening a can of worms, I asked around... some kids are getting £200 per A grade!!  I missed a trick as a teenager, I was a proper nerd and could have done very well on £200 per GCSE!  One friend has promised her child a top of the range phone (£1k+) if she passes everything.  I'm still erring on the side of a takeaway plus £50 personally :D
  • dawnybabesdawnybabes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember being promised £1 per A In my school report (45 years ago !) and I brought home a report with 16 A’s in.  My mum could not afford that - I still remember feeling ripped off! It would have been better if she hadn’t attached a value to it tbh. 
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    12.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I gave £50 and a celebratory meal. A levels are expensive. You've just reminded me DD will probably need another batch of books and I haven't thought that far ahead at all! Congrats on your exam success. Well deserved I'm sure.
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17,357 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £777 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip. 5) Lose 21lbs - now at 15lb lost 6) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
  • SarahwithloveSarahwithlove Forumite
    440 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I agree with a meal and £50
    You don't want to be starting a trend you can't afford in future. 
    *RBS credit card - £1930.50* - Now £0.00
    *Tesco Credit card - £3604.30* - Now £2500
    *Finance - £581.91 - Now £0.00
    *Dad loan - £5300 - Now £4500
    Total debt *£7000* £12,416.71[/b]
    Emergency fund = £1000
    Facing Reality - My Debt Free Diary
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also unless you had the deal in place beforehand its a bit demotivational to put an amount per A grade as nothing she can do now.  I think a family meal (Mon - Weds obvs - doing a Rishi) plus I think £100  and you know make her centre of attention for the day.  Its a bit of a precedent but £50 just feels a bit cheap.  If you wanted brownie points maybe ake it £50 for the GCSE and £50 to help make up for her missed prom so she can do something with her friends.  But don't do it per grade, as if anything will generate feelings of unfairness that will.

I'm not sure that I would be setting targets for A levels either, although I am a bit soft in that respect.  If she's not motivated by the future £100 isn;t going to do the trick
    I saw you in an ice-cream parlour//Drinking milk shakes cold and long//Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    Weight - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 20/09/2020 - 104Kg - YTD:-17kg, September -6kg
    Start of Year Debt @ 31/12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mortgage:[email protected]% = £144K
    Debt YTD @ End Aug : CC:[email protected]% - Car [email protected]% - Mortgage; [email protected]% = £120K

Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£24K
  • sarahsayssarahsays Forumite
    26 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We did £35 for A*, £30 per A, £20 for a B and £10 for a C for our eldest - gave her a bit of extra incentive and she ended up with a few hundred pounds but, as the 2nd was more motivated there was not such a big payout offered (there was a big enough age gap that it was forgotten what the first one got - unfair I know but financial circumstances can also change).  As you have 5 of them, I would do as mark55man suggests - a meal and £100, or else it could work out very costly!
    729 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks all, I wouldn't attach a value to a grade as they could all put in the effort and get very different grades! 
    I don't mind the reward thing, it was just the sheer amount he was thinking of.  He's not budging though, so £250 it is.  I'll just have to start saving in advance!  He wants to do £250 for A-levels too.  So with 5 of them going through exams, that'll be £2500 over the next 13 years :D 
    I guess the eldest is the guinea pig with all these 'firsts' and there'll be some negotiating between OH and I on what we do/don't do.  We've already decided what to do about driving lessons in advance and uni costs.  The exam reward thing just caught me unawares as wasn't expecting it to be a 'thing'.
    She had a job interview at a different branch of my old retail employer the other day, it would be great if she got it.... a) she'd earn her own money b) excellent work experience and c) I'd get my discount back!!  She'll hear back in a couple of weeks