Options

Comments

• telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 December 2018 at 4:15PM
    Options
    henm2 wrote: »
    I use it on Laptops at home all the time. (Linux Mint). Easier, less hassle, safer than Windows.
    Likewise, I'm typing this on an 11 year old Lenovo laptop. The combination of Linux Mint and a £20 SSD has made it blistering fast for general Office stuff and internet.
    Thats proper money saving for you :T
    (An no waiting around for endless Windows upgrades or slug like Windows response.)

john22 wrote: »
    Absolute no interest in it whatsoever.
    A computing device is tool for me to do the things I want with the least amount of hassle.
    Then you need Linux Mint, meets your criteria perfectly.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    telemarks wrote: »
    Likewise, I'm typing this on an 11 year old Lenovo laptop. The combination of Linux Mint and a £20 SSD has made it blistering fast for general Office stuff and internet.
    (An no waiting around for endless Windows upgrades or slug like Windows response.)

As I said least amount of hassle which is walking into a shop seeing and exploring a computer in person. Buying it and going home with it and have it sync with my other devices right away. Start working in lightroom after a simple install of the program.

I don't care what other operating systems can do and don't care to build my own computer. It's a tool at the end of the day for me so I can edit pictures and find the things that interest me on the net.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MoneyMoney wrote: »
    It is for advanced users only, why do people keep wanting to push this. It is not a viable alternative despite it being hyped as such for nearly two decades.

This is often quoted, but not true. My 87 year old dad uses Mint on an Intel NUC. The advantage for him is that it's a tiny PC that takes up almost no space, and I can buy it for him as a barebones PC without having to pay for a copy of Windows.

He can click on what he likes, and open attachments and do all of those things that he doesn't know any better about, and the chances of him getting serious malware are close to zero.

Other members of my family use cheap PCs with Mint installed, and have done so for at least half a decade. Although I'm supposedly their "support person", I almost never get calls for help - once it's working, generally it just keeps working.

There seems to be a common misconception that you need to understand the Linux command line to install Mint or Ubuntu, but it's simply not true these days.

And there seems to be a misconception that Linux will work with only limited hardware, but it's not true either. A huge range of hardware device drivers come ready built into the kernel, and other tasks such as - for example - pairing a mobile phone via Bluetooth and then transferring photos from phone to PC are simple - it's no more complicated than doing the same thing in Windows.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    telemarks wrote: »

Its not unreasonable to run Windows on even an 8-10 year old laptop, if you so desire. In fact longer - i was running Win10 on a Dell D620 and they've been around since 2006

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-latitude-d620-review-pics-specs/

Win10 and an SSD will run plenty quick on 95% of older machines.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    I much prefer MacOS for 'desktop' based stuff, but I also have a Rasperry Pi running Raspbian headless (for Pi-hole and OpenVPN), so get plenty of opportunity to mess around in the terminal.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    I don't use Linux as the software I want to use requires Windows. I have no problem with Windows.
    motorguy wrote: »
    But why bother?
    • My laptop came with Windows
    • It does what i need it to
    • I dont have compatibility issues with software

So what advantage would Linux give me?
    john22 wrote: »
    Absolute no interest in it whatsoever.

A computing device is tool for me to do the things I want with the least amount of hassle.

I've heard plenty of speak on here about it, but in 'real life' .... nothing.

I have a W10 PC. It works. Ain't broke = don't fix. :)
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I use whatever i fancy, no need to have a poll, won’t change Until i want too. No need for discussion move along no more to see here
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • smudger1964
    smudger1964 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 December 2018 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Been running linux mint since microsoft stopped support for XP also have linux lite on a netbook and recently got rid of windows 10 on a laptop now on linux mint too..I now dont have any pc,s running windows
    Best of all its all free ..you dont get much more money saving than that
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would argue that the majority of people interested in this survey will be Linux users whereas most users of this site wouldn't even know what Linux is.

Accordingly the results are meaningless.

I am typing this on my Android tablet!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Dont need it dont want it have used it .
    Free windows 10 does all i want .
    Though i am sure that the 4% of market share users like it as they never shut up about it .

I agree with this, Im the same, have tried but I prefer windows as Ive used it 99% of the time.

It may be something I go back to in the future though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure