Options

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Yup,...

However, that's just one of many examples of why I prefer it. We haven't even got started on sshfs ;)
    I use sshfs all the time between my linux machines. :D
    Been playing around with "Bash in Ubuntu in windows" or what ever Microsoft is calling it! sshfs is not currently working.. so no remote secure mounting in bash (Only local mounting of Windows drives) Which limits it's usefulness. can't be bothered creating samba shares on my Linux box just to get things working.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm guessing someone randomly posted in the poll for this thread to suddenly resurface. :(
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you sure it wasn't because you just posted a post?! :)

• letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My laptop runs a dual boot with Win 7 and Linux mint, Mint is loads much quicker and performs just as well as Windows.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My laptop runs a dual boot with Win 7 and Linux mint, Mint is loads much quicker and performs just as well as Windows.

so if Mint is only running "just as well as" Windows, what do you use it for that you arent getting from Windows?
  • Subnerter
    Options
    Linux is not supported by a lot of software types. I have discussed this situation with my colleagues from effective Soft and they have clients who have to order custom software development for their Linux networks and in such a way they lose a lot of money.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    Don't about half of of us have the Linux kernel on our Android phones?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2019 at 4:53PM
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Don't about half of of us have the Linux kernel on our Android phones?

Probably. Still wouldnt be bothered with it on my PC or laptops.

I think any hope it had of being accepted on consumer PCs & laptops went down the pan with the introduction of SSDs.

There was a case for it on older hardware that was running slowly on Windows but thats pretty much resolved with an SSD fitted.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    Granted, the thing is, we are giving a de facto monopoly to Microsoft here (dangerous). Windows wins because every manufacturer of PCs/laptops and peripherals ensures that proper drivers exist. They do not do that for Linux. More's the pity.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Probably. Still wouldnt be bothered with it on my PC or laptops.

I think any hope it had of being accepted on consumer PCs & laptops went down the pan with the introduction of SSDs.

There was a case for it on older hardware that was running slowly on Windows but thats pretty much resolved with an SSD fitted.
    buglawton wrote: »
    Granted, the thing is, we are giving a de facto monopoly to Microsoft here (dangerous). Windows wins because every manufacturer of PCs/laptops and peripherals ensures that proper drivers exist. They do not do that for Linux. More's the pity.
    Question to both, why is Microsoft supporting WSL , and soon WSL 2 (with native kernel hooks).Perhaps they are thinking Windows XI will be around the corner but called Winux :cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure