eBay parcel 'delivered' yet not received. Way forward?

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    My overseas internet is not good enough for videos, but then I prefer to go to PayPal and understand their rules rather than rely on stories from a third party.

PayPal require sellers to have online delivery conformation to the address given by them, and to show item was sent within 7 days of payment. That has not changed at all.

It is always worth trying PayPal for a refund, they occasionally do no fault refunds , but using their criteria alone if seller has proof of delivery the claim will fail.
    This is mainly a British forum and the BBC is a British broadcaster, the program which was highly relevant is a consumer affairs radio programme as mentioned.
  • buglawton
    edited 9 December 2018 at 9:53PM
    Options
    Super protection?

A buyer cannot claim non-delivery "even 5 months after a purchase on eBay or a forum" the latest a buyer can claim non delivery on eBay is 30 days from latest/actual delivery. Where did you get 5 months from?

And what do you mean by "a forum"?

Extreme tracking?
    My apologies for adding adjectives to emphasise my points. As far as I know the forum rules allow this.

In many countries including the UK Paypal now offers buyer protection for items bought through forums. A buyer can indeed start a non-delivery claim on an item bought through Paypal 5 months after the purchase. Personally as a seller I'd not use Paypal this way except for items of trivial value.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,246 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    This is mainly a British forum and the BBC is a British broadcaster, the program which was highly relevant is a consumer affairs radio programme as mentioned.

I am a U.K user and familiar with the Uk PayPal rules and still prefer to read the rules direct on the site than rely on information from a TV programme that has made some terrible blunders in the past due to misunderstanding terms and conditions. The only reason I mentioned overseas internet is that I'm currently overseas. However, I cannot emphasise enough that all that matters is the PayPal rules,not how a third party might misinterpret them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Well the seller has got back in touch...

Dear ##############,
    Thanks for your kind response.
    We really appreciate your patience waiting. We can not contact Yodel now. Your parcel has been delivered through your letterbox. If you still can not find , would you please try to contact Yodel customer service to check again? or you can make a claim with Yodel first.
    Best regards

In short we've got our money, we've covered ourselves so that there's no comeback on us so see you later.

Yodel still are not replying via Twitter. It looks like their phone number empties your bank account.

The web chat is up at 8 so since he's at work and i'm not then i'll be on that later for him.
  • buglawton
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I am a U.K user and familiar with the Uk PayPal rules and still prefer to read the rules direct on the site than rely on information from a TV programme that has made some terrible blunders in the past due to misunderstanding terms and conditions. The only reason I mentioned overseas internet is that I'm currently overseas. However, I cannot emphasise enough that all that matters is the PayPal rules,not how a third party might misinterpret them.
    The point of the radio programme was that Paypal has a new set of buyer protection rules since separating from eBay. And Paypal has been behaving badly in implementing or following its own new rules. You and Yours is a highly respected source of reporting on consumer affairs and consumer experiences. It focuses on British situations.

Maybe you are suggesting that Paypal users selling valuable items have nothing to worry about. If so then you're entitled to your views, I'll keep mine.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would certainly ask for clarification from the seller, that in his opinion would the packaged item fit through the letter box?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • soolin
    Options
    Paypal have not updated their protection requirements- they are still as they have been here:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_GB#r011

this cut and paste might not work but here goes:

Protection for Unauthorised Payment

Protection for Item Not Received

Postage requirements

For services and intangible items (in countries where such transactions are eligible for PayPal seller protection): Proof of Delivery

For all other transactions: Proof of Postage (minimum) or Proof of Delivery

~~#

11.8 What is “Proof of Postage”?

Online or physical documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

A status of “shipped” (or equivalent) and the date of postage
    The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).
    Official acceptance from the shipping company (for example, a postmark, a receipt, or online tracking information). Or, if you have Proof of Delivery then you do not need Proof of Postage.
    11.9 What is “Proof of Delivery”?

Proof of Delivery for tangible items means online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

A status of “delivered” (or equivalent) and the date of delivery.
    The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).

Nothing added, nothing taken away- so in the BBC programme did they link to new super requirements that we regulars have missed? Online proof of delivery will win the case, if buyer appeals or if for instance buyer's address is Glasgow and tracking online shows a Brighton delivery hub then seller can be asked to show proof of postage with the address as well. Again exactly as per our sticky thread.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    (I've done this as a separate edit rather than add to my previous lengthy post)

OP has now been given several lots of advice, it is up to them to choose which to act on, try them all if they wish as they have nothing to lose, all any of us can do is advise them - any decision as to which advice to folow is completely up to them.. There is no real disadvantage in trying a paypal case unless they have already made several in the past as paypal do note serial claimers, I still believe it will fail unless a goodwill payment can be obtained- and usually that depends on status of account and seems to be getting slightly more common now.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Ok let's just agree to disagree then people :)

He obviously needs to get in touch with Yodel as a first point. I personally took an Ikea delivery today and the driver photographed his drop off. If the Yodel guy has done this, even of the front door then it may be a lead on to which house needs to be chased up.

This aside then the next point would surely be eBay and exhaust that.

After that then PayPal and see what happens there.

If all that doesn't work then he'll have to accept he's out of pocket. Personally i'd leave negative feedback on the seller as sure it isn't there fault but they're also clearly not interested in even trying to help. They may as well reword what they said to "we've got your money now sod off & sort it yourself" but what he does is up to him.

AFAIK he's never claimed through eBay or PayPal for anything before & she's been a member for a good few years now.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    My apologies for adding adjectives to emphasise my points. As far as I know the forum rules allow this.

In many countries including the UK Paypal now offers buyer protection for items bought through forums. A buyer can indeed start a non-delivery claim on an item bought through Paypal 5 months after the purchase. Personally as a seller I'd not use Paypal this way except for items of trivial value.

Hopefully you now have established that Paypal rules haven't changed recently.

Items bought using Paypal (which is what you seemed to be saying when referencing "forums") are covered by buyer protection (assuming they are not excluded items) for 180 days from purchase, that's 6 months. This can be extended if you manage to chargeback a payment through the card provider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure