How to cope with work in run to retirement

Options

Comments

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 May 2019 at 10:14AM
    Options
    If they are going to fiddle with the National Insurance, I think they should go all the way and abolish the National Insurance and merge it with the Income Tax and make it 30% instead. It would simplify the whole tax collection and would raise money from the people who don't pay any National Insurance. It would also take away the 2% that the people on over £4,167 a month as well. It would need something to replace the Employer's NI contributions though. I don't think this will ever happen in our lifetimes somehow.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    If they are going to fiddle with the National Insurance, I think they should go all the way and abolish the National Insurance and merge it with the Income Tax and make it 30% instead. It would simplify the whole tax collection and would raise money from the people who don't pay any National Insurance. It would also take away the 2% that the people on over £4,167 a month as well. It would need something to replace the Employer's NI contributions though. I don't think this will ever happen in our lifetimes somehow.

No the cretins in Westminster would rather keep the system as is where they get two bites at the cherry.... they are able to sell any changes to "tax" whilst leaving themselves the opportunity to sneak any N.I. changes into the budget small print.
  • pensionpawn
    pensionpawn Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Work has always been a means to an end for me. I have thought that way since I was very young.

That's not to say I'm not committed or want to do a good job, and I do enjoy aspects of it. I just don't like having to work. Getting up to an alarm clock, commuting and being tied to someone else's schedules and timescales isn't ideal for me so once I reach F.I. I doubt I'll continue to work for years like some do.

100%. If there's the odd contract work that comes my way then if I'm bored, why not? Can't see me ever being bored though :D
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I got an interesting surprise yesterday, after trying for an exit and not getting it, I played hardball by being as difficult as possible and suggested a better structure that they are now going to implement. Works very much in my favour, so might be happy to see it out to 55 now as I can do 2-3 days at home this way without breaking sweat :D
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    100%. If there's the odd contract work that comes my way then if I'm bored, why not? Can't see me ever being bored though :D

Me either. There's enough for several lifetimes of things to see, do and learn so I'll find plenty to keep me occupied.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Work has always been a means to an end for me. I have thought that way since I was very young.

That's not to say I'm not committed or want to do a good job, and I do enjoy aspects of it. I just don't like having to work. Getting up to an alarm clock, commuting and being tied to someone else's schedules and timescales isn't ideal for me so once I reach F.I. I doubt I'll continue to work for years like some do.

That sounds just like me! A retired family friend of my wife said I'll be bored if I give up work, but I said I'm more bored at work than when I have the freedom to do other things.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    Maybe.....although I actually do mostly enjoy my work, like the options money gives me and am looking forward to giving up and doing other things!
    Maybe that makes me the last one in your categories:rotfl:

Yeah, 4 types of people ☺
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    That sounds just like me! A retired family friend of my wife said I'll be bored if I give up work, but I said I'm more bored at work than when I have the freedom to do other things.

That’s it. My dad was the opposite and continues to work well past state pension age... I’m doing everything I can to get out as early as possible!
  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I still have over ten years to go and am really struggling at the moment. I am finding it hard not to check my finances every day and I look at every purchase in terms of how much time it will add on to the end of my work life before I can retire, Part of me is grateful for finally waking up and taking my retirement seriously, but another part of me was happier mindlessly plodding through life none the wiser. I feel like I have been woken up from the matrix and am not sure what to make of it!
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,667 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ditto. I spend too much time in the spreadsheets hoping I have missed some obvious way that I can make the numbers bigger.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure