How to cope with work in run to retirement

Options

Comments

• cobson
    cobson Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Ditto. I spend too much time in the spreadsheets hoping I have missed some obvious way that I can make the numbers bigger.

Have you tried changing the font size ;)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've made the decision when to go, but I'm still looking at the numbers thinking "have I missed something, is that really enough".
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Totally agree re the spreadsheets, something of an obsession. Worst case scenario is 2 years and 1 month, though could be sooner if a Redundancy scheme comes up.
    Really had enough now, I can see the escape door and I want to go through it.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• pensionpawn
    pensionpawn Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    Totally agree re the spreadsheets, something of an obsession. Worst case scenario is 2 years and 1 month, though could be sooner if a Redundancy scheme comes up.
    Really had enough now, I can see the escape door and I want to go through it.

I too spend a lot of time with spreadsheets and reading this and other related forums. Sadly, as a numerical problem solving and fiscal person, I quite enjoy it, especially learning new strategies. I have accumulated so much good advice I've evolved and improved my strategies (for me and the wife) to potentially shave a couple of years off the trigger date. A growing concern is once the goal is achieved, will I miss the chase....
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I too spend a lot of time with spreadsheets and reading this and other related forums. Sadly, as a numerical problem solving and fiscal person, I quite enjoy it, especially learning new strategies. I have accumulated so much good advice I've evolved and improved my strategies (for me and the wife) to potentially shave a couple of years off the trigger date. A growing concern is once the goal is achieved, will I miss the chase....

I've thought about this in much the same way. I work on spreadsheets all day for both my work and my own financial planning. I think once I do achieve the F.I. goal and no longer have to work I'll find something else to fill the gap. Perhaps start my own business. Whatever I decide to do it'll certainly be on my own terms.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I still have over ten years to go and am really struggling at the moment. I am finding it hard not to check my finances every day and I look at every purchase in terms of how much time it will add on to the end of my work life before I can retire, Part of me is grateful for finally waking up and taking my retirement seriously, but another part of me was happier mindlessly plodding through life none the wiser. I feel like I have been woken up from the matrix and am not sure what to make of it!

I can relate to looking at purchases jn terms of how much working time would they add.
    10 years wishing away is not a good place to be, we have only one life to wish away a productive quarter of it. Any chance of changing something in your job ?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I certainly find it strange seeing money being spent rather than saved (after 60 years of putting money away for a rainy day).
    I am now in a 2 day a week job which I love while I wait for son to go to Uni but if there is an interest you have, can make some money from it and enjoy it then consider that. I am on less money than I was 30 years ago but love doing the job. If I had thought this was possible would have binned the main job 2 years earlier.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I too spend time here and other related areas. I am so pleased that I saw the light! I have changed spending but still spend- to future proof and provide for future interests to fill the time when the chase is over!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am finding it hard not to check my finances every day and I look at every purchase in terms of how much time it will add on to the end of my work life before I can retire

Lol, this is me, I've tried to only check at the end of the quarter but just can't, always the end of the month, and when you see another 20K on the pot after treading water for what seems ages it's difficult to not wish away a good chunk of life :o

1301 days, not that I am counting.
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lol, this is me, I've tried to only check at the end of the quarter but just can't, always the end of the month, and when you see another 20K on the pot after treading water for what seems ages it's difficult to not wish away a good chunk of life :o

1301 days, not that I am counting.

My spreadsheet tells me that I have 1,095 days left.
    I haven't yet succumbed to the temptation to write a real time ticker, but no doubt I will at some point. Maybe as a screensaver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure