Older and fitter

Options

Comments

• trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2019 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Another gym session under my belt. And, as it's the New Year, I've weighed myself for the first time in ages. 9 st 2 lbs - it means my BMI is 19, which I know is fairly meaningless, but there it is!
    I don't really think about my weight - someone once asked me if I'd ever dieted, and the answer was no. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought - I don't have a sweet tooth, rarely eat pudding, love veggies, I hate feeling over-full, and I don't drink much in the way of alcohol. You could say I've been on a diet all my life!

I agree with you Ilona, about people taking responsibility for their own health, particularly as they get older. And I think it has to include both physical fitness and diet - one without the other isn't going to be as successful as both combined.

Food so far today - up at 6am, (just because I was awake), cup of tea with one sugar, slice of wholemeal toast with real butter. Gym at 9:30 (busy again!). When I got back I had a black coffee with one sugar (I only have one coffee a day) and a choc chip cookie (those leftovers aren't going to eat themselves, and I'm not a martyr!!). I'm feeling hungry at the moment (not a feeling I have a problem with, but I know that's not the same for everyone), so will probably have lunch just after 12. I'm fancying scrambled eggs at the moment - something ordinary, after all the rich food of the last couple of weeks!! Dinner will be a casserole, a bit of meat and lots of veg - will use up some of the root veg that's still hanging around from Christmas, and also OH is out and I'm not sure when he'll be back so it will keep ticking over for as long as needed. If I remember to do a pudding (and I usually forget), it'll be a cranberry and blueberry yogurt (thank you Mr Aldi) with extra fresh blueberries on top.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs G nearly had a meltdown today because she forgot her heart rate monitor so lost out on a load of points and, apparently, points mean prizes. She's aiming for silver star this month so isn't very happy.

TS you'd better be careful that your BMI doesn't get below 18.5, otherwise you drop dead... or so some people would have you believe.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Been to my step class this morning. :j Hard work but enjoyed it.
    Couple of new faces. One youngish girl walked out twenty minutes into the class.:eek: Its a complicated routine and my first class back 7 weeks ago, I was terribly uncordinated but have picked up a bit more each week.
    I would never walk out of a class.......its rude to the instructor and you let yourself down. Just dont go again if its not for you.

Bodybalance is starting again tomorrow which is great for flexibility so will be going to that.

Does anyone know of any apps that link to fitbit to earn vouchers for amazon etc?
    I used to do bounce till it went up the swanny but cant find anything similar.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We’ve occasionally had new people walk out of classes which is disappointing as they haven’t really given things a chance. With classes like Zumba which can seem complicated, most people start off at the back and work their way forwards if they feel more confident, although some people just like being at the back! Nobody cares anyway if you get the steps wrong and we all do at times, even if you’ve been doing the routines for ages. It’s meant to be fun as well as getting you fitter, and we enjoy having a few laughs sometime during the class.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    ibizafan wrote: »
    We’ve occasionally had new people walk out of classes which is disappointing as they haven’t really given things a chance. With classes like Zumba which can seem complicated, most people start off at the back and work their way forwards if they feel more confident, although some people just like being at the back! Nobody cares anyway if you get the steps wrong and we all do at times, even if you’ve been doing the routines for ages. It’s meant to be fun as well as getting you fitter, and we enjoy having a few laughs sometime during the class.

I agree.........just keep moving! lol Good to give the brain cells a bit of a workout as well. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Gloomendoom - tell Mrs G I feel her pain. Points do indeed mean prizes. I have less than a month to go before I get silver, and the battery on my monitor was flat. I actually cancelled the session I was booked onto, went home, charged it, and went back to a later session rather than do a session that wouldn't 'count'!

It's windy and miserable here today - OH is threatening to go out on his bike again. And I could go with him - but I think I've just discovered I'm a fair-weather cyclist!! In fact (sorry Ilona) it's one of the things I like about the gym - it's inside!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, back to Body Pump this morning after two weeks off, and I was still scoffing the last Christmas chocolate last night. Not as bad as expected and we all got through it. Roll on Zumba tomorrow!
  • Souffle59
    Options
    Hello :j
    I'm new to the forums, first post :beer:
    I'm 59 and about to undergo a major operation which means I will be out of action for 12 weeks! I am finding this hard to deal with as I like to be active, and am trying to keep positive with ideas for how I can get my fitness back afterwards. This last year has been ok but I haven't been able to go to the gym or walk as much as I like due to my condition, although I have 'kept dancing'! My husband and I dance Argentine Tango, which we love, and I can still manage, although I won't be able to dance for the 12 weeks so feeling pretty miserable about that :(
    I'm off to hospital tomorrow to find out what physio I will need to do following the operation, and I have been told I will be able to walk short distances at first and gradually build back up again. Once I have recovered I really want to hit it and get my body back into some semblance of normality! I am not particularly overweight but everything definitely needs toning up! I like yoga so hope to restart that as well as my dancing and walking. My husband belongs to the local Heart Club and goes to the gym there twice a week so I will go once a week with him and maybe something else? Not sure what. My arms are my biggest concern as they are going flabby! Any ideas gratefully received. :)
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Souffle59 - well done for having such a positive attitude. 12 weeks from now will be mid-April, so weather might be getting warmer.

As a veteran of ops, the main advice is do as you're told. If they tell you to rest, then rest. If they tell you to walk, then walk. They're very keen to get you up and doing as soon as pos after operations these days - I know I wasn't allowed home until I'd walked a lap of the ward with the nurse. It's only 12 weeks. And after that you'll be back, better than ever.

For me, the hardest part was the time between feeling better and relatively pain free, and the time when I was actually allowed to do stuff - I got very bored. Do you have any 'sitting down' activities that you enjoy? I took up knitting for the first time in years, OH found that doing jigsaws helped him. And there's always Box Sets...

And once you're back and recovered, don't throw yourself into things too quickly - little and often is best. Make sure that whoever is running the classes knows which body parts you have to be careful with - they will then be able to suggest alternatives exercises where necessary.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Oo, exciting times. Remember I won a sports bra in the pre-Christmas competition at the gym? Well, they arrived today. And it turns out there was a bigger choice than we'd realised - T-shirt, sports bra, or watch! (And yes fred, I totally agree that still means the women have a choice of 3 things and the men only have a choice of 2).

Having looked at the bras, and looked at what they'll *ahem* have to deal with, I decided to go for the watch. It talks to the heart-rate monitor, so you can see what your stats are even if you're wearing the monitor away from the gym - I think it'll come in handy if I do some of the other things I'm thinking of doing (I'm toying with the idea of doing our local parkrun...). I'm not good with tech so I need to sit down and work out exactly what it will do - does anyone still use a watch just for telling the time??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure