Is your iPhone battery dying? Time's ticking for a cut-price replacement - MSE News

Apple’s offer to replace some iPhone batteries for a reduced fee of £25 ends on 31 December. If you’re eligible and need your iPhone’s battery replaced, act now...
Read the full story:
'Is your iPhone battery dying? Time's ticking for a cut-price replacement'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Does anyone know if Apple will replace the battery in store while you wait? Or do they need to keep it? Thx
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Does anyone know if Apple will replace the battery in store while you wait? Or do they need to keep it? Thx

I'll be getting the battery in my iPhone SE replaced at my local Stormfront store this Friday, they said it will take around 1 hr. So no reason why Apple stores can't do the same.

Btw if you go for the battery replacement where you post the phone to Apple, Apple charge £32 instead of £25. I imagine the extra £7 or so is for postage costs (both ways).
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know if Apple will replace the battery in store while you wait? Or do they need to keep it? Thx
    I thought I'd booked an appointment to do exactly that at the Genius Bar. Instead they talked around it, sucked teeth and talked about a software problem and doing a factory reset. After I showed a video of my phone closing itself down at 40% battery. Then the Genius told me an iPhone 5s battery needed to be specially ordered (as if this was a custom item!) and I'd need another appointment.

If it'd been in stock in store at that moment I'd have said, cut the cr*p and just change the battery.

I can feel an Android handset coming on.
  • Thanks both! That's incredibly annoying for you- the article reads as though if you've been landed with a dodgy battery, then you can have it replaced. I'll be annoyed if they try to argue the toss!
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    buglawton wrote: »
    I thought I'd booked an appointment to do exactly that at the Genius Bar. Instead they talked around it, sucked teeth and talked about a software problem and doing a factory reset. After I showed a video of my phone closing itself down at 40% battery. Then the Genius told me an iPhone 5s battery needed to be specially ordered (as if this was a custom item!) and I'd need another appointment.

If it'd been in stock in store at that moment I'd have said, cut the cr*p and just change the battery.

I can feel an Android handset coming on.

According to the article the deal on replacement batteries are only for 6 and newer models.
    So those of us with 5s get the dodgy updates that shorten the battery life, but not the discounted replacement batteries.
    Pfftt.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    elsien wrote: »
    According to the article the deal on replacement batteries are only for 6 and newer models.
    So those of us with 5s get the dodgy updates that shorten the battery life, but not the discounted replacement batteries.
    Pfftt.
    My post was in answer to whether replacement batteries are in stock at Apple stores. I described what happened when I made an appointment to visit the Apple store with the intention of paying for the replacement.

They aren't automatically in stock, seems you need one appointment to get past the gatekeeper and a second to actually get the battery fitted. If genuine Apple batteries were available elsewhere I'd long ago have had a new battery.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 December 2018 at 9:14AM
    My son and myself had the batteries in our iPhones 6s replaced at the Trafford Centre store a couple of weeks ago.

We didn't have any problems at all, despite the fact mine had a battery health of 88%, which is above the 80% issue level.

The store was very busy though and the replacement took an hour and a half, we just went and found a cafe for some lunch whilst it was done.
  • Hi Chris- that's helpful, thanks. Seems like it's pot luck- I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Kingston shop!
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£2457.92 TCB.
  • I was advised by the Apple call centre that a local Apple reseller did official battery replacements, great I thought as it was much nearer than the big Apple Store... phoned and they said a replacement battery would take 3 days!!!

Are Apple not interested in the battery replacement idea?
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't forget to book the appointment time first through the Apple Support app. Hopefully that gives them an indication of likely battery demand for when you get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure