Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes

Options

Comments

• Andrew1974
    Options
    It seems everyone had their monthly amount increased by 40%. Now they are saying it should have been 20%. Either the 40% uplift was a genuine mistake or credit to the community for getting them to back down. I could live with 20% for now but as soon as my deal was up, I would ditch them. For me, this business name is now mud. Mud sticks. Their stuck.
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes received an email to say my increased DD will now be £48 instead of £62 and I had not even contacted them yet on getting it reduced. At the end of the day people would only be billed the energy they actually used but still sly tactics (DD increase) especially for those on very fixed income. They are the cheapest at the moment and I will stay put. Anyone can make a mistake but at least they rectified it.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • Dad_Deep_Pockets
    Options
    jinkssick wrote: »
    Yes received an email to say my increased DD will now be £48 instead of £62 and I had not even contacted them yet on getting it reduced. At the end of the day people would only be billed the energy they actually used but still sly tactics (DD increase) especially for those on very fixed income. They are the cheapest at the moment and I will stay put. Anyone can make a mistake but at least they rectified it.
    This is not a 'mistake' but a cynical ploy to increase their cash flow over Winter. I along with others have received an email with 'revised' figures because they have listened to their customers - more like are worried at the exodus. Just review the below and see if they are a company you can trust:
      Hike annual consumption on account by 25% with no evidence Hike Winter DD's by 75% Reduce Summer DD's by 25% Hide within that an actual monthly DD increase of £20 without explicitly stating so Make no allowance for those already in credit by £000's Attempt to reinstate DD's when cancelled by customers - illegal practice Block switches to other suppliers when a DD cancelled even though account in credit by £000's - against OFGEM policy Do a 180 degree turn within a week when found out.
    These sly practices will not stop with this turnaround, mark my words once the dust has settled all you that stay will be hit with larger 'membership fees' and then the rates will increase. The holding company for OTM is not registered in Malta for nothing you know!!!
  • BedrockFred
    Options
    jinkssick wrote: »

Do you really think they have rectified it, to me it looks like a knee jerk reaction taken because they are losing so many customers, so instead of boosting their coffers it's done the oposite

Expect more price rises in the coming months if they survive this almighty !!!! up
  • BedrockFred
    Options
    Just to add I cancelled my DD and was told that was fine no mention of a £25 fine and they have not tried to reinstate the DD my normal collection date was yesterday and I have heard nothing from them regarding it being cancelled
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    8 days until I leave them........
  • Scatty
    Scatty Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got the email about the revised DD and lower EAC and they are figures I can live with, plus they have my stored up credit so I'm in two minds about my imminent swap. I'm still in my cooling off period so food for thought. Maybe a summer swap would be better when I've been with them a year and know a whole year's usage.
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
  • C.C.
    C.C. Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    jaybeetoo wrote: »
    8 days until I leave them........

Keep your eye on that date - I logged into my account with the 'new' supplier (Ovo) and noticed that the switching date on there is three days later than the one they gave me via email, yet they still intend to take their first DD on the original date!

Not sure I can even afford to switch now, with Ovo intending to take their first payment at the same time as OFTM take theirs (and having to wait who knows how long for the credit refund), plus I have discovered in Ovo's T&Cs that they don't let their customers run up debts over winter, so if I go ahead with the swap I am likely to face a similar situation with them as I am trying to escape, with an almost immediate hike in winter payments instead of a equal 12 month split - even though it is a two-year fixed deal.
  • C.C.
    C.C. Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    The email I got from OFTM yesterday has certainly revised my DDs downwards, and to an amount that I could manage, with the winter DDs down from £114 to £92 .
    The trouble is, having done the calculations myself, I know that the previous, higher figure was accurate as it was based on my actual expected annual consumption (the figure I used when I switched to them and know to be very accurate), whereas the latest figure is based on - well, to be honest, I have no idea!

So if I decide to stay with them, will they up that figure again the minute my first winter reading shows my usage to be "higher than (they) estimated"?

What a ******* mess this all is!
  • dprice8893
    dprice8893 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 November 2018 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Could someone advise me regarding the situation of an account being substantially in credit. Can you request and demand that the energy provider pays money back into your bank account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure