Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes

Options

Comments

• Princeofstrikers
    Options
    This just gets more bizarre. Still no response to my email with pictures but a new email saying they've recalculated... except they haven't!
    Top line has figures I've never seen before and 2nd line is exactly the same DD proposals as before.
    Sorry but that's incompetence.
  • tawse57
    tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a DD due to go out today - is it too late to cancel it? What are my rights in terms of cancelling it? Anyone know?
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • Topiary
    Topiary Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good too see OFTM have finally responded with an apology and reduced DD

I'm sticking with them though will remain cautious as appreciate the issues that these smaller suppliers are currently having.
  • RS2OOO
    RS2OOO Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Full version of latest email from OTM here:

Dear Customer,
    In the last week we have implemented a change to our direct debit policy asking customers to pay for their energy as they use it. The detail of this includes a split variable Direct Debit with a winter uplift between October and March and a cheaper payment during the warmer months of April to September.
    We listen to our customers
    Following customer feedback regarding their annual cost figures, we have conducted a review of every customer account and have made some revisions to the Direct Debit figures previously sent.
    These changes still reflect our new seasonal Direct Debit model with a 70/30 split between the two periods of the year.
    We have admittedly made mistakes in communicating this new policy to our customers and for this we unreservedly apologise.
    The good news is your annual energy costs should not be affected, and your revised Direct Debit payments are detailed in the table below.

Estimated Annual Cost -
    Previous Notification - £1,230.45
    22nd November update - £984.36

Previous October to March - £143.5
    22nd November update - £114.84

Previous April to September - £61.52
    22nd November update - £49.21

Sustainable low prices
    Introducing a winter uplift is a sustainable solution in ensuring our unit prices stay as low as they currently are and, ultimately, Outfox the Market remaining as one of the cheapest suppliers in the UK.
    These changes mean no more debits in the winter and no large credits in the summer.
    Your new payments will come into effect from your next Direct Debit date.
    Meter Readings
    To ensure your payments match your consumption we need your help. Please provide us with a photo of your latest meter readings and send them to MR@outfoxthemarket.co.uk
    Refunds
    For customers with accounts in credit please get in touch. Customers can either keep this credit on their account and see a reduction in the winter uplift payments or request a refund. Please email refunds@outfoxthemarket.co.uk with a photograph of an up-to-date meter reading.
    Once again, we are sorry for any inconvenience and we thank you for your valued custom.
    Your sincerely
    Team OTM
  • Berwynview
    Options
    This just gets more bizarre. Still no response to my email with pictures but a new email saying they've recalculated... except they haven't!
    Top line has figures I've never seen before and 2nd line is exactly the same DD proposals as before.
    Sorry but that's incompetence.

Snap - same here.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just had a response to my e-mail with pictures of my meters. I must admit it's not too bad...
    Previous estimated annual cost - £612.60
    22nd November revised - £490.08
    My current monthly DD £40.84

Proposed Winter DD £71.47
    Proposed Summer DD £30.63

Now the new payments:
    Winter DD £57.17
    Summer DD £24.50

Still £17 more the next few months than I'm currently paying but was paying about £50 a month to previous suppliers.

I did consider in a backwards kind of way if you consider their rates being the lowest (for me anyway) then if you can live with the higher direct debits then technically it's a savings account. Really if you think of the amount you're saving then ultimately you are due to get the money back at the end of the day whether it be staying with them and getting a refund or switching. So whatever is extra to the amount being charged for usage is your money to get back, it's just not easily accessible.
    At the moment Outfox is still the cheapest for me by about £40 a year so I'm just thinking that's still £40 I'm not technically losing and would get back.

Also, interestingly I did a new quote on their site and was offered a new 'Boom' tariff at the same rates but fixed until September with a £50 exit fee...
    That doesn't seem to be on the MSE club results yet, unsure how new it is but if anyone wants to stick with the current prices (with an exit fee) then it might be of interest...
  • alittleowl
    Options
    I've still had nothing from OFtM in response to my two complaints emails dated 17th and 20th November. No generic recalculation email nor an apology like the ones above either. However, I've received this letter in the post from my bank (First Direct):

"Thank you for alerting us to an attempt at unauthorised access to your 1st Account by Foxglove Energy. We'll do everything we reasonably can to stop them accessing your account again. If we become aware of another attempt by this company to access your account we will treat it as fraudulent and may give information to the police. If you believe that Foxglove Energy, or an associated third party, has made another attempt to access your account please let us know as soon as possible so we can stop this happening again and arrange any refund you're entitled to. We may ask for further details and ask you to give information to the police."

This is the best letter I've ever had from my bank. I might put it in a frame on the wall.
  • Steve456
    Options
    I wonder how many customers would have switched to them if they had been upfront about their crazy new direct debit scheme?

Possibly not an issue if they billed monthly in arrears for energy used that month, but to switch (without real notice) to this madcap system is simply suicide for them in my view.

I don't think they are long for this world. Good riddance I say.
  • BedrockFred
    Options
    I have had the email reducing my DD but I'm afraid this hasn't be handled well at all and its too little to late, just need my credit balance back now

Those sticking by OFTM good luck can see further problems down the line
  • goodybags
    Options
    Had email back from them today having had no reply to my previous 2 emails
    I’ve just had my DD put back down to £100 pcm it was originally going to be set at £75 then a few days ago they told me it was going up to £125
    Best of it is I didn’t think I actually switch from eon until tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure