Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget. - Page 60

New Post Advanced Search

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

edited 11 November 2018 at 12:35PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.5K replies 467.8K views

Replies

• humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My champagne moment today was the library phoning to say the book I had reserved which had gone missing has turned up. New book last month from an author I really like for 60p reservation fee, bargain.
  • Ellie79Ellie79 Forumite
    18 posts
    Hello all, sorry for the radio silence, not sure where my weeks are going at the moment! Happy New Year, hope it is all you want and more.

So, today I had the chance to mooch around a local charity shop - before Xmas my OH got 2 lovely winter coats that were pretty unworn and 2 jumpers for under £20, they were all designer (not that he minds) so worth the extra cash. A quick google revealed that both coats were upwards of £100 last winter so pretty happy. I went back today and got a lovely Markies wrap day dress for £5. It is a style I covet a lot as I am a bit fussy about how I hide the lumpy bits. Pretty happy with that, too.

I am trying to find low-cost ways of warming the house up and keeping us warm without the extortionate utility bills, I really begrudge paying money to utility companies. My mum is a keen crafter and has a lot of upholstery fabric, so going to make some draught excluders with my youngest daughter to get her used to sewing (I am hopeless at it!).

My mum also passed along some lovely Denby pottery - a coffee jug, creamer and teapot which I am most grateful for and will be used regularly. I am on a mission to buy preloved wherever I can, rather than adding to the landfill etc.
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ellie they sound great bargains. I am hopeless in charity shops, I just can't seem to find anything. I'm the same at carboots, friends and family seem to find great stuff and I never see anything. The best thing I got at a carboot last year was a lovely basket of strawberries but they weren't exactly cheap. They were very delicious though.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone.....

Just back from a lovely lunch with my friend, she insisted on paying so another no spend day. I shall of course return the compliment next time we go out. I have known this friend for over 52 years and it's always lovely to meet up with her. We gossip and giggle like the schoolgirls we were when we first met. We mooched round some shops but neither of us were tempted to buy anything. :rotfl:

Anyhoo, feeling much better. The antibiotics are doing their stuff so feel much more comfortable today.

Ellie....I too have got a bit of an issue with heating bills this year. This new to me house is very cold, poorly insulated, part single glazed and the thermostat is a law unto itself. I have an energy monitor so I can see exactly how much fuel I am using so I have been experimenting to see what works best.

I have found out its best not to let the house cool down too much, to try and keep the fabric of the building at a fairly even temperature. That way it doesn't become an ice box which then takes hours to heat up again.

So I never let it go below 14 at night or when I'm out. When I'm at home I find if I keep the background heat to around 16 to 17 it's usually warm enough without burning too much fuel. It seems to be the cheapest option at the moment.

Luckily the weather has been fairly mild. I have bought some wood and coal which I can use in the 2nd sitting room if it gets really cold. And I have a gas fire in the main sitting room, although it's ancient and very inefficient so I don't use it very much. And I also have a bioethanol fire and several bottles of fuel for emergencies.

I have treated myself to a heated sofa throw which is super warm, so with that and an ambient temperature of around 17 to 18 in the background I am nice and cosy of an evening and haven't had to use the gas fire much. I Also light candles in the evening and they seem to add heat as well as a nice warm glow.

If the Beast from the east does strike again then obviously I'll have to just bite the bullet and whack up the thermostat and use the gas fire but so far it's not been necessary.

I shall be addressing the lack of insulation later this year but in the meantime I have added thick rugs, heavy curtains, draft excluders etc and they do help.

I once made emergency draft excluders by stuffing some jeans legs and tying the ends up with string. Not very pretty but they did the job. :rotfl:

Don't forget things like letterboxes and keyholes. They can let a lot of draft in. I once lived in an old house and the front door was hopeless. In the end I simply sealed it up with duct tape and hung a heavy curtain up and we all used the back door. In the event of a fire we could have just ripped off the duct tape in seconds so it wasn't dangerous.

Some great charity shop bargains there.
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    House elf.....I agree. A positive challenge is so much nicer than a negative resolution.

My aim is to add to my life not subtract.......just because I am as poor as a church mouse doesn't mean I have to endure a mean and shabby existence. :rotfl:

I am soooo not the hair shirt type. ;).

Star Trek Fan.....I am another soft feather pillow girl......those pillows were a real bargain. Enjoy.
  • Ellie79Ellie79 Forumite
    18 posts
    Hi, yes, sometimes we hit lucky with the charity shops. I think it helps to have a clear idea of what you think is worth it, what is a bargain and being mindful that some have whacked their prices up so much they are nearly the same as a 'full price' shop.

We have door curtains on front and back, they do help and make me feel warmer as they make me think we are keeping the cold out.I have meters for both electricity and gas, the only thing that is gas is the heating but it still costs the ends of the earth. Especially when on a limited budget.

I have had a huge declutter, I did keep a pair of jeans out for this very purpose!! - I have the annual odd sock skip out contents there and think those, along with the old pillows I am about to hoof out the house, might very well fill up one 'leg' and at least warm the gap under the door that we do not use into the front room (we had the wall knocked through but the door is still there from the old layout). It is very cold around it as it leads into the hall and the kitchen and there is no heat in the kitchen at all.
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have had a lovely day out with Bestie today.Had a veggie Indian Thali platter.Was absolutely gorg n only £6.50:eek: Then went to the chazzers n got a lovely dress/tunic n a bull terrier money box for £5.50:eek: So all in all a very champagne n lemonade day :D
    'LL glad you're feeling a bit better :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candy girl......sounds like you had a lovely day.

Now that I'm feeling better I am aiming to do some charity shop mooching tomorrow:rotfl:
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candy girl......sounds like you had a lovely day.

Now that I'm feeling better I am aiming to do some charity shop mooching tomorrow:rotfl:

We were literally having chazzers withdrawals :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • butterfly2507butterfly2507 Forumite
    293 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    My champagne moment of the day was finding out that I have an iron deficiency and got meds for it. Hopefully this will help with my lack of sleep, constantly being tired, always being cold and headaches.

I'm relieved that it's nothing bad since my headaches were getting out of control and was already worried the result would be much much worse.

Anyway I now have to take meds every other day and I can't wait to (hopefully) feel better! :beer:
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o