We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

You might as well take my DFW number off me, I've failed.

2456

Comments

  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Triker wrote: »

    I have applied for all exemptions so far but council tax are quibbling re 'occupancy'.

    I don't normally post of the DFW board because I don't normally know enough to help but I do know alot about council tax exemptions. Don't let the bu***rs quibble as the rules are clear.

    If no one is living at the house and it is unfurnished then you are entitled to a 6 month exemption from council tax while you are trying to sell the property. No ifs, no buts and no arguments (although every council I have had to deal with has argued.)

    If only one person lives at the house then they are entitled to a 25% discount. No ifs, no buts and no arguments.

    If noone lives at the house but it is furnished it is classed as a second home. Councils must offer a discount for second homes. The discount must be between 10% and 50% - again no ifs, no buts and no arguments. As you can probably guess, I have never come accross a council that offers more than 10%!

    At a minimum you are entitled to 10%. However, this is the good part. The discount / exemption should be backdated to the date that it should have applied from. It sounds like you have not lived their for a while so you may be due a nice rebate which will help you out.

    Finally, this may increase your rebate. You are also entitled to a 6 month exemption while a property is unoccupied and unfurnished and undergoing major renovations. Replacing ceilings, kitchens and bathrooms on their own are all borderline but together I think you have a case that this was major work. A house with no ceilings, kitchen or bathroom would definately not normally be considered habitable. So you can have a go at an exemption from when the tennant left to when the work was completed (to a maximum of 6 months). If you succeed then this should be a nice sum. Be prepared to argue this one and accept you may have to back off, especially if the damage to the house was really only cosmetic.

    I hope this helps. Best of luck.

    N79
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Sometimes a loan as a short term measure and within the framework of a longer term plan is appropriate.
    Looking at your post count triker my bet is you've been around here long enough to know the pitfalls so what may not be right for some MAY be right for you-or you may have posted to be talked out if it.....in which case ignore everything I've just said !!
    Have a hug either way-it's horrible when the Bad Luck Gods rain on you-but it does turn back to good luck eventually I promise !! (Been there-done that!)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

    MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • You only fail if you give up trying honey.
    Hang in there-you will get through this
    x
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • saver03
    saver03 Posts: 651
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Just wanted to offer some support and say don't give up. :grouphug:

    The only way I would suggest a loan is if it will make you significant savings and if you cancel your credit cards and NEVER use them again. Hard I know but it will be for the best.
    LBM 14/12/06 £21,947.17 DEBT FREE 12/04/09
    MFW - December 2010 £76,199 - 4th February 2021 £37,360.90
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    ZTD wrote: »
    Given that you don't know how long it's going to take to sell, have you thought of moving to an interest-only mortgage?

    Hi it's already interest only, could get a better rate as said earlier but by the time it's eventually sorted it may well be sold.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    tallyhoh wrote: »
    Is it worth looking at why your house isn't selling? You could do worse that following the House Doctors advice.

    What feedback have you had from any viewings? what does the estate agent say, is it worth changing to another one? Could you get your friends round to cast a critical eye & be very honest.

    Is the house overpriced? A reduction in price may help in that you would not be paying out so much interest in loans & CC's.

    Hi, we've done it up to a really high standard, 2 of three estate agents said they would live there! Because of the decor and area, it's very rural in the south west.

    Had one EA, chnaged them after they were'nt really selling house (got a friend to mystery shop them).

    New EA's were great until due the Northern Rock stuff and wobbleys from mortgage lenders the housing market slowed right down in the south west and my EA's shut down 5 local offices, mine included.

    Soooo it has been transferred, believe or not, to the original EA's whom we sacked because

    a) they are in the area

    b) the other EA's came to an arrangement with them.

    c) We simply did not have the time/money or wherewithall any longer to get back down to the area to have other EA's round to value and get photo's etc done.


    The house is on for £189,500. One 3 doors up was sold for £255,000 last year. Admittedly they have 3 bedrooms and we have 2 but there's a big difference in price. It the location being the main selling point as it's rural.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Spirit wrote: »
    Hello Triker,

    Don't give up. I would miss you.

    I do not intend to commit heresy and risk being excommunicated by DFW by talking you into a loan but this is my understanding so far. Here goes:
    • even if your house sold tomorrow it would be 3-4 months for completion.
    • Your outgoings are more than your income and your debts will increase until a property is sold.
    • you could have a loan at a lower APR rate than your CC .
    • I assume that if the loan cleared cc's you would cut them up
    As well as your SOA, can you compare the cc and the loan on whatsthecost.com?



    Absolutely, this is the way I'm viewing our situation, I've looked at Martin's loans articles and we will look for the lowest apr with little or no early redemption penalties and with the ability to overpay.

    The cards would be [STRIKE]ritually slaughtered[/STRIKE] cut up, and when the house sells we would be able to pay it off.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    N79 wrote: »
    I don't normally post of the DFW board because I don't normally know enough to help but I do know alot about council tax exemptions. Don't let the bu***rs quibble as the rules are clear.

    If no one is living at the house and it is unfurnished then you are entitled to a 6 month exemption from council tax while you are trying to sell the property. No ifs, no buts and no arguments (although every council I have had to deal with has argued.)

    If only one person lives at the house then they are entitled to a 25% discount. No ifs, no buts and no arguments.

    If noone lives at the house but it is furnished it is classed as a second home. Councils must offer a discount for second homes. The discount must be between 10% and 50% - again no ifs, no buts and no arguments. As you can probably guess, I have never come accross a council that offers more than 10%!

    At a minimum you are entitled to 10%. However, this is the good part. The discount / exemption should be backdated to the date that it should have applied from. It sounds like you have not lived their for a while so you may be due a nice rebate which will help you out.

    Finally, this may increase your rebate. You are also entitled to a 6 month exemption while a property is unoccupied and unfurnished and undergoing major renovations. Replacing ceilings, kitchens and bathrooms on their own are all borderline but together I think you have a case that this was major work. A house with no ceilings, kitchen or bathroom would definately not normally be considered habitable. So you can have a go at an exemption from when the tennant left to when the work was completed (to a maximum of 6 months). If you succeed then this should be a nice sum. Be prepared to argue this one and accept you may have to back off, especially if the damage to the house was really only cosmetic.

    I hope this helps. Best of luck.

    N79


    Thank you for the info, I feel a bit more armed with facts re council tax rebates now. I've been asked to write to them stating that the house is unfurnised and not occupied and they'll consider my circumstances. Will definately give this a go. Thanks.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Just for info, we have two mortgages because I had bought my house and then met, relocated and married OH who also had his house.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Triker (((hugs))) you haven't failed, you are going through a sticky patch, but will come out the other side of it.

    And NO-ONE will be taking your number off you without coming through me first.....and I can pull hair really hard!!!

    I would normally be saying stay away from loans, but in these circumstances, it MIGHT be worth considering. BUT, only if it will make a significant difference to your financial position and enable you to cope with your monthly expenses, and ONLY if you could maintain the repayments long term if the house doesnt sell.

    Just make sure you have thought carefully about it and are going into it with your eyes wide open. Check the apr obviously, but also things like early repayment penalties/interest, if you will be clearing it as soon as the house sells.

    Protecting your sanity is more important than protecting your wallet...:)
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
    9780007258925
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.