We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Conflicting explanations
sunfield91
Posts: 200 Forumite
in Credit cards
Can anyone help please with this credit card issue
I recently got a new balance transfer card with Bank A (using this pseudonym as I don’t know of allowed to name on here)
I mistakenly requested too much money to be transferred to Bank B from Bank A.
This has left my old Bank B account in credit by about £75. Bank B will not refund this money to be as it didn’t come come from my personal current account but from a third party i.e. Bank A, they say this is due to money laundering legislation and it is up to new Bank B request it repaid to themselves
Bank A state the opposite they say Bank B should repay me to my current account. Bank A state there is a way they can reclaim the money but it will take them about 28 days and they will have to repay the full amount back to Bank B and I will have to start the process again
Bank A suggested that I could get the excess back by drawing the money out at an ATM as it is my money, but if Bank B cannot pay it to my account am I going against regulations by drawing it out, and will I be charged interest?
Sorry for the long post, can someone pls help, was on the phone for 2 hours in total last night to both banks
I recently got a new balance transfer card with Bank A (using this pseudonym as I don’t know of allowed to name on here)
I mistakenly requested too much money to be transferred to Bank B from Bank A.
This has left my old Bank B account in credit by about £75. Bank B will not refund this money to be as it didn’t come come from my personal current account but from a third party i.e. Bank A, they say this is due to money laundering legislation and it is up to new Bank B request it repaid to themselves
Bank A state the opposite they say Bank B should repay me to my current account. Bank A state there is a way they can reclaim the money but it will take them about 28 days and they will have to repay the full amount back to Bank B and I will have to start the process again
Bank A suggested that I could get the excess back by drawing the money out at an ATM as it is my money, but if Bank B cannot pay it to my account am I going against regulations by drawing it out, and will I be charged interest?
Sorry for the long post, can someone pls help, was on the phone for 2 hours in total last night to both banks
0
Comments
-
You could withdraw it. You won't be charged interest because you're not borrowing, but you'll pay a cash fee.
Easiest thing is to simply spend it.0 -
Draw out the £75 in cash from bank B using an ATM . There will be a cash charge but no interest as you are +£75 in credit there..
Pay the £75 cash into Bank A.
Or, as stated above, if you are using a credit card for spending anyway then spend it.0 -
The conflicting explanations are because they are different banks with different policies on how they deal with a credit on the account.
Either spend it or withdraw it as said. Spending is the easier option - either on fuel, transport, groceries etc. (something you would normally spend anyway).I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
You don't have to be the best -
Just be better than you were yesterday.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards