DIY Speed Cameras and Signs on Public Road - Legal?

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    JP1978 wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit in the picture that shows two of these ‘camera’s’ one pointing each way - opposite each other - possibly like one pointing one way and the other the opposite way? ....... ;)

Yes ... yes I did. :o
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The problem is that it appears that a private household or security company could be illegally recording every person who drives down that road.

I may not be doing anything wrong but the person doing the recording likely is. That's the problem.

I still can't see why you have a problem with that.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2018 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    They look excessively large for IR sensors - most are about the size of a key fob. And why would they be shaped like a camera?
    I agree. I wouldn't want to be on that road whilst a driver is attempting to aim a unidirectional IR transmitter up at a receiver which is as high as the object shown in the OP's photograph;

I would say that the thing shown is indeed a camera, one that bears a remarkable similarity to this
    Camera.jpg

cam2.jpg
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I would say that the thing shown is indeed a camera, one that bears a remarkable similarity to this
    Camera.jpg

Good find! I had a look, but didn't turn up anything.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a lot of fuss over nothing. Just don't break the speed limit and you won't fall out with your neighbours.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Contact council, they probably don't have planning for the signs or cameras. But no, I don't think there's anything illegal enough for the police to get involved.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Ergates
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Contact council, they probably don't have planning for the signs or cameras. But no, I don't think there's anything illegal enough for the police to get involved.
    Why "probably"?
  • SallyDucati
    Options
    It does look to me that they are cameras, and I also wouldn't be happy with someone regularly recording my car driving along. It's just feels like an invasion of privacy by another individual.

A house at the start of my village has a fake 30 sign, but is it very obviously fake (about 3 times larger than normal and painted on wood). We do have a bit of a speeding problem and it just acts as a reminder,
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    Why "probably"?
    Do a search on the planning portal if you want. I haven't checked, so it's a "probably" from me.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Ergates
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Do a search on the planning portal if you want. I haven't checked, so it's a "probably" from me.

Again why "probably"? Why, in the absence of any evidence either way, assume someone *probably* doesn't have any necessary planning permission for something? Just seems a strange assumption to make on the basis of nothing.

If you saw someone driving down the road in a car, would you assume they probably stole it? Do you assume that shopkeepers are probably fiddling their taxes?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure